Any ideas on night sights?

I would like to put night sights on a 109. Meprolite or trijicon pistol sights seem to be the best solution but I'm open to suggestions. It would be great to have a longer sight radias but I'm trying to keep the instalation as simple as possible.

XS Big Dot on a Krebs sight set or XS replacement front/rear set if you have weld on HK sights hands down.IMHO.

+1

This is the way to go. I have a big dot in the Dinzag front sight block, and it is great. It was beautiful on the trap range yesterday, too.

I think the way to go is Dinzag short front sight block (because it looks better), XS sights Big Dot AK front sight, and carefully use a chainsaw file on your factory rear sight to open it up to a half round notch, similar to the Warren Tactical pistol sights.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on the Krebs front w/ the XS Big Dot AR replacement post. Can't get much simpler on the installation. Krebs smartly uses AR front posts, which are easier to replace than AK-type. Wondered if the smaller XS would be better, but for a 25-50yd SG, go Big. I haven't done it yet, but I'd recommend getting a matching rear sight, also. I like the 2-dot tritium ghostring. Both front and rear will help with low-light target acquisition.

The HK rear sight is gorgeous - and I want one - but they're admittedly overkill on a SG. You'll never need the 300m aperature, I'm pretty sure. Did I mention I still want one?

Probably goes w/o saying that a good forend-mounted light is the first real essential, if this is a HD gun. Night sights and lasers won't help you figure out if it's a bad guy or your kid sneaking in the window at 2am. Gotta light 'em up first. Both are best, though.

• Like 1

I'd sooner find a way to mount some short pic rails on the weapon and use some Troy fixed sights with the Tritium upgrade. I never look at my factory sights, so it isn't worth the effort and expense, to me. Weapon mounted light is a much more useful investment.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I'm leaning toward the XS Big Sight ($60), but just came across the Meprolight for $40. Couldn't find anything in search that compared the 2. Anybody used both and develop a preference???

Will be used in conjunction with a light. Discovered that the bright light floods and distorts my sight picture, too. Thinking that the tritium will brighten the front post enough to see when the light is on. Or, am I assuming too much??

Edited by steveb327

I have HK sights on my S12 rather than the Krebs, steve, but the following may still be relevant. I got the XS replacement front/rear HK set, and the smaller sized front rather than the Big Dot, and I'm glad I did. The XS front post I have covers a fair amount of real estate in terms of a seeing all of your target, and I don't think I would have liked the even larger size of the Big Dot in regards to this. Such things are arbitrary and more a matter of personal preference, of course, but that's my .02.

In your instance, the Big Dot would be barrel-mounted in the Krebs rather than in an HK front and thus smaller relative to your field of vision, so it may be an unnecessary concern. But any comparative difference in size between the Big Dot and the Mepro would be something I'd still want to consider, if it was a thing I was looking into.

• Like 1

Caged wrote: "In all reality, it depends on where you mount the light...."

It's mounted just in front of my hand on the side of the forend, where I can comfortably work it w/ my thumb and still maintain full control w/o shifting my hand.

Anathoth wrote: "The XS front post I have covers a fair amount of real estate in terms of a seeing all of your target...."

That's what I was looking for, thanks. I had a similar concern that the Big Dot might too big, especially on anything past 15 yds. The Reg/Sm Dot may be a smarter choice. I understand your point about the FOV w/ the krebs vs. your hk setup. I guess now I'm left with comparing the smaller XS Dot, or even their std post version to the Meprolight. Any comparisons about quality there?

BTW, while your pic is very fascinating from a medical standpoint, do u think u could replace it with a breast or two? I'm a bigger fan of those, I gotta say big_smile.gif

Edited by steveb327

The Big Dot may be the same relative size in one's FOV when mounted in a Krebs front, as compared to the regular XS dot in an HK front, without one to compare it to it's hard to say. On the other hand, it's also possible the regular dot would seem too small in a Krebs for some tastes. Not so helpful in making a decision, I know. Have you gotten a chance to eyeball a comparable pic of the Mepro vs the regular XS dot to gauge relative size?

I didn't really realize the difference in size between the regular vs Big Dot until I got my XS set, from pics at vendors online it was hard to get a good relative representation of the two. I found another tritium HK front post from Trijicon at a HK site, but the tritium lamp/surrounding white was of a smaller size than the regular XS dot, more suitable for a rifle probably, so what I ended up getting was good for me.

I don't have experience with the Mepros, so I can't make any quality comparisons there, sorry.

The sexy breast pic angle seems to have been covered by various users on the forum, I noticed, so in the interest of providing variety, I decided to go the route of the gross medical condition pic instead. I know, I know, how thoughtful on my part. You don't have to thank me.

Anathoth wrote:

Have you gotten a chance to eyeball a comparable pic of the Mepro vs the regular XS dot to gauge relative size?

No, the only Mepro sight I've seen seems comparable to the XS tritium stripe (both thin strips). Both seem no larger than a std front post. As for the XS Big vs. Small/Reg Dot, the Big is advertised as a "close-up/entry sight," and the Sm/Reg is for "general and intermediate ranges." These are in rifle terms, of course.

I understand what you mean about the Big looking smaller when it's positioned closer to the muzzle, as in my Krebs mount. This pic might be a good representation of what the Std Dot would look like on my S12. It's a pic of their offset BUIS, which has the Std Dot in it. The FOV should be pretty close, based on another pic they have of a side view. It looks like 12"-14" between front and rear.

Bottom line is I don't think I'd be at a disadvantage with any of them. The Std Dot seems to offer the most flexibility. I'll post a review when I put it on.

As for your pic, and Caged's f/u comment, I don't mind gross, or variety, I just prefer a variety of mammary glands....

xti-angle-mount-wht.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting. Saw that on the gallery page.

Is that just glow in the dark paint from the factory, or is it something more practical, like tritium? Don't think it's the latter. Can you say a little more about it, if you know?

BTW, you have some great weapons on your gallery. Didn't know they had a 9mm version of the Krink. Nice stuff.

• 11 months later...

It took almost a year, but I finally had the opportunity to buy an XS Big Dot front sight for my Krebs mount. Krebs uses AR front posts, so it was easier and less expensive to replace than an AK assembly.

I couldn't decide between the Tritium Stripe, Big or Std Dots. It's personal preference, ultimately. If mine were a dedicated slug gun, the Stripe would have made the most sense. It's not, so I went with the Big Dot. The tritium is the same size as in the Std Dot. The difference is the white circle around it, which XS suggests "is easier for your eye to pick up. Easier to see when your focus is out beyond the front sight locked on the possible threat. The large white area is huge reflector of ambient light and will be seen way on down into the very low light range. At that point the tritium vial in the center of the dot comes into play ...."

(from the XS site:)

tactical1.jpg

I found it hilarious that in their own FAQ, depending on your perspective, they either bashed or were painfully honest to their customers about the Std Dot:

"We have it around because no matter how logical and sound the Big Dot system is you just can’t convince everyone as to its advantages or that you really can shoot accurately with it. The Standard Dot Tritium gives them a better front sight so they will have some improvement. We sell quite a few of them to the gamers who want a better front sight but shoot in a world where the targets are generally static and clearly marked as to which ones are hostile and which ones are not."

I can't offer a side-by-side comparison, but my impression of the Big Dot is that it is not too big at all. Bringing the gun up multiple times in low to no-light, target acquisition was very quick in all of them. I focused on the target, as one naturally does under stress, rather than the sights themselves. In doing so, the larger white circle had a huge advantage over a painted bead or some other similar small dot. I can only presume that it would be better than the Std Dot, as well, especially in failing light.

My only negative comment is that the Big Dot is necessarily wide. It's a little less than 3/16 wide, which fills up the sight picture pretty well, if you're used to rifle sights. It's a trade-off to pick up the target better, which is more important. I couldn't find any specs on how wide the Std Dot is. Based on the pic above, it's looks like >1/8".

I'll most likely replace my ghost ring with a Tritium rear. Hopefully, it won't take another year.....

Those are nice. The trit front on the XS is dimmer than I expected, too. I'd love to be able to have a bunch of them side-by-side to compare.

It's hard to tell sizes from pics, but the Troy version is a ring of trit, whereas the XS is a dot. Below are 2 pics I lifted from Troy (M4 & HK). Can't imagine they use 2 different size rings, but they have less trit than the XS, which would definitely make it dimmer. I can say on my setup, the added white ring on the XS really does improve target acquisition until it's dark enough for the trit to be useful.

Troy makes a pretty rugged setup, better than my Krebs. If you aren't happy, for $60, you could prob replace it with an XS post and sell the Troy trit post to someone looking to upgrade? Not sure, but could be the best of both worlds.

(Troy site:)

SSIG-FBS-FMBT-01-1.jpgSSIG-FBS-FHBT-02-1.jpg

Does your rear look something like below? Have been thinking of something similar. This plus a stripe up front, or vice-versa, would be great. Wish I could find a rear ghost with a trit stripe like the pic in #14. Ideal for me. I personally don't like 3 dots in a row. Used it on a pistol once (old Novaks, maybe?) in low light and didn't line the 3 dots up in the right order. My fault, but fortunately it was only a paper target I missed. I want the contrast of shapes between front and rear. Less for my brain to sort out while I'm focusing on the imprtant stuff in front of me.

SPEP-TRP-R0BT-00-1.jpg

I use a Crimson Trace Modular Vertical Forgrip green laser and am very pleased with its night time performance.

Nice grip but most people don't have $600 to spend on a vertical grip, at least i know i don't. Night sights are usually under $150.