I have a saiga 223 with original clip, no feed ramp, single hook trigger and dragonov stock. Before I did the conversion it cycled shells fine, after the conversion , I get 1 or 2 shots then it has a shell jam over the clip with the bolt hitting the middle of the case puttig a dent in the case and ruinning it. The only thing I did in the clip area was grind the lowest side of the clip catch tab, not the top of the tab where it rests on the reciever. I did this because the mag catch was installed without grinding the part that would catch the clip, its a orignal ak catch and trigger guard. The gun has 60 rounds through it, the barrel was cleaned every 3 shots for the first 20 then every 10 shots after that for break in, but the gas port in the barrel has never been cleaned. Could this cause the jamming? Not throwing the bolt far enough back? I was using Wolf 55gr. ammo.

60 rounds is not going to cause enough fouling to jam. I doubt 600 would.

It isn't clear in your 1st post, you converted it to the original position and used other parts for the mag catch? Or are you saying you used what came with the rifle?

Either way it sounds like its not allowing the mag to seat all the way up and the bolt is not hitting the shell solidly as it moves forward. Did you change anything on the mag catch or bend it a little?

Edited by Onepoint

One point, I used new ak mag catch and trigger guard, mag is seated fine also. My problem is my Tapco G2 singlehook trigger. The disconnect is not catching the edge of the hammer and holding it down far enough for the bolt to cycle back freely without binding / riding the hammer. I have called tapco twice and the owner is on vac. this week, this problem probably can be remedied with using my old saiga disconnect if it will fit or grinding my tapco disconnect where it touches the trigger itself, I think. The hammer was too wide at the pivot on this tapco to fit also, had to grind and match the saiga for width . No mention of the above in the destructions "drop in trigger" seems to be a f-ing test of patience...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my saiga conversion does that periodically, when it starts it will jam every two rounds, but then it will just stop abruptly and start working fine again. i use 5.45 polymers that have been grinded to clear the trunion, i wonder if i took too much or too little material off.