Carried in public for the first time today.

This feels like an appropriate thread, given some of our other members' experiences as of late..............

Finally got my CWP in the mail the other day, and conceal-carried for the first time today. I honestly thought it was going to feel awkward, but it didn't. I'm carrying a G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and man, this thing is so comfortable. I know it's there when I sit down or bend over, but that's to be expected I guess. Otherwise, I see why people always say "You forget you're even carrying" when talking about these holsters. Sitting in the car was also comfortable.

I've been wearing it around the house before my permit arrived, trying to break in the leather. It gave me a decent idea of what to expect when carrying in public, but I noticed some things that I need to address:

1) I need a better belt, no question. Gonna be ordering a Wilderness Instructor's Belt. My current belt now does not provide support needed when carrying all day like I did today.

2) I'm too conscious of my carry piece. What I mean is, I've already caught myself (well, my girlfriend caught me more, lol) touching it, or tugging on my shirt to make sure it covered the 19. I know this is common for new carriers, but damn, I need to kick this habit. I got better toward the end of the day, though.

Just wanted to share in the excitement.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Shooter,

best belt I ever bought was a 'Amish' belt, it is everything one desires in a Carry belt without the inflated price.

A great cut of thick & stiff leather, simplicity, less is more, and none of the over inflated prices.

I've used mine daily as a work/utility/Carry belt, for a good while now, zero signs of wear, sag or abrasion.

Just fix the link,

http://w ww.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_black_buy.html

• Like 1

Making sure it's covered isn't a bad thing.

I carry full size most of the time & have had an instance of my shirt getting hung up pver my G-17's grip.

I got some terrified looks from a guy that worked at the store I was entering.

There's been stories of people being charged with improper carry or harassed over that shit.

Now, when it's warm I just tuck my shirt around the IWB holster or Glock-clip's clip when dressed light. I prefer to tuck my shirt in anyhow. It's just how I was raised.

All seasons but summer I wear a 3/4 length leather jacket though, so it's only a concern in the summer in Oregon.

Congrats on first carry day.

You will get used to it fast, a new routine will develop out of habit. Right now you are very self conscious noticing everything about carrying concealed. Others aren't. Most will never be.

Get yourself a good belt (got a beltman here) and enjoy having your sidearm on.

+1 on the Wilderness belt.

I make it a habit to always ensure my shirt is pulled down whenever I get in or out of the car or when sitting or standing in a public place.

One piece of advice: Make your gun easily accessible. Some are proud of being able to hide a gun so well their proctologist can't find it.

Carry everyday and everywhere!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.......and I will be checking into all the belt suggestions. I haven't put in an order for the Instructor's belt, so I'll have to check all the others out and compare.

EDIT: I get a discount through Brownells and the Instructor's belt dropped to like $35 with the discount.......but they want $12.95 for shipping!

Edited by -Shooter-

Just don't do what I did and buy a 1 1/4'' belt for a 1 1/2" holster! I don't totally regret buying it, it was a cheap good looking belt and held up pretty good for about a year but my gun and holster move around quite noticably to me. Needless to say I'm also in the market for a belt right now! Congratulations and be safe!

Bullseyeboy-