Does Century make a good AK ?

I have two SAR 2's in 5.45 they are a older CAI import but I love both of them I payed $300 each pre-08. They run in the $5-600 dollar range lately but compared to the WASR I once had they are top of the line. You can also get them in 7.62 "SAR 1" and 223 "SAR 3" if you are wanting a cheap AK I would look for a used one of these before buying a WASR. For the price of a WASR or SAR you could buy a Saiga and convert it for the same cash and have a true russian AK.JMO.

I have two SAR 2's in 5.45 they are a older CAI import but I love both of them I payed $300 each pre-08. They run in the $5-600 dollar range lately but compared to the WASR I once had they are top of the line. You can also get them in 7.62 "SAR 1" and 223 "SAR 3" if you are wanting a cheap AK I would look for a used one of these before buying a WASR. For the price of a WASR or SAR you could buy a Saiga and convert it for the same cash and have a true russian AK.JMO.

The one I'm looking at is a CAI with a price tag of around 560 before shipping and FL transfer

If it is a complete rifle IMPORTED by century, then modified, it's usually okay. Romanian rifles are not known for superb quality control. If it's a parts kit built on a century receiver, you're more likely to have problems. I've seen century rifles that functioned flawlessly, and those that had jaw-dropping manufacturing mistakes (like receiver damage from rear trunnion installation, and in one case an extra hole drilled in the bolt carrier where the piston is installed). What hutch said is pretty damned accurate. You just never know with century-built rifles.

I try to stay away from them and encourage you to do the same.

I have a century 74 that shoots better than I can. I have had more problems with my saiga (2 misfeeds) than I have had with my 74 with twice as many rounds through it.

This is contrary to most people's experience with these makes. What caliber Saiga, who did the conversion, does it have the Bullet guide if applicable.

If it is a complete rifle IMPORTED by century, then modified, it's usually okay. Romanian rifles are not known for superb quality control. If it's a parts kit built on a century receiver, you're more likely to have problems. I've seen century rifles that functioned flawlessly, and those that had jaw-dropping manufacturing mistakes (like receiver damage from rear trunnion installation, and in one case an extra hole drilled in the bolt carrier where the piston is installed). What hutch said is pretty damned accurate. You just never know with century-built rifles.

This is true. If Century BUILT it, I would pay close attention when buying. If they IMPORTED it, such as a SAR or WASR, well, still pay close attention, but your chances are a lot higher of getting a good, well-made gun.

I have a WASR-10/63 that has none of the commonly known problems. I'd stack it up against my Saiga and any other AK that came my way. It has been that good. A M74 or Tantal with a US-made barrel, built by Century? Ehh, probably not, but they can still be a ton of fun if the right guy made it on the right day of the week.

Just look at it before you buy if you can at all manage to do that. Ordering online is a crapshoot with Century for this very reason.

I have a Polish 1960 milled AK-47, a Yugo M70AB2, and a Romanian Draco (just sold) - all problem free. The Polish and the Yugo build quality is superb. Both are parkerized, not painted. Action and fitting is very nice - much nicer than my Saiga. It was my understanding that these 2 models were contracted out by Century so I don't know if that's representative of Century as a company. I understand Century has a bad rep particularly with AKs but so far, I have been lucky and not have had any issues and can even say that at least these 2 rifles are the best I've had.

One thing that is true is that I inspected both rifles before I bought them so I know they're good to go. I would agree, based on what I've read other people say, is that Century is a crapshoot and you REALLY need to inspect it before you buy. I tend to agree.

Is this still a saiga forum?!

If you want closer to a 100% guarantee that you'll get a excellent rifle just convert a saiga. This thread belongs in the other ak rifles section.

Really are we going to get that trivial.... the heading does say Saiga and other Ak based rifles but if the Mods want to move it no skin off my back. I'm just trying to find an ak that wont cost an arm and a leg that is reliable Maybe even a SAIGA 7.62x39

Edited by pony_express1973

If you want closer to a 100% guarantee that you'll get a excellent rifle just convert a saiga. This thread belongs in the other ak rifles section.

Really are we going to get that trivial.... the heading does say Saiga and other Ak based rifles but if the Mods want to move it no skin off my back. I'm just trying to find an ak that wont cost an arm and a leg that is reliable Maybe even a SAIGA 7.62x39

If you really want reliable, own a few small tools, and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, the saiga is for you.

The price on the rifle is right, the quality is great, the conversion is really cheap, plus when you get it done you feel like you really did something.

There is a ton of easily gained knowledge here.

This saiga pictured is my first AK variant and I'm pleased. I think I did a good job on it, plus I have a more personal relationship to the gun and its workings since I actually did the conversion myself.

You could go all out and convert the front end if you want, but if you're really looking to break into the AK market (cheaply), the saiga seems the way to go. It's hard to mess up the simple conversion.

post-36219-0-85685500-1320273217_thumb.jpg

I've got their RPK and after 300-400rinds, it hasn't so much as hiccuped. I did pull the front barrel mounted bipod and switched out the "Chicom" P grip, but I'm hitting 1.5-2" groups at 100yrds. I'm happy.

How is the RPK? And how much did it run for? Saw one at a show recently for about $1000. Considered getting it since the fit and finish was pretty damn good. But I wasn't too sure about the price.

Mine was just under $800 this summer, Everything seems tight and I havn't had any problems. Am looking to bullpup it this next year. It may actually be cheaper than the Veprs(same receiver and heavier barrel, I think) and uses regular AK47 mags.

Your right. The best place to find out how a burger king cheeseburgers are is at a mcdonalds. And many people enjoy the organization of this forum and it is appreciated to keep topics in the appropriate sections.

Thanks

It all depends on who you ask, I own 2 WASRs and recently found out through the wealth of misknowledge on the internet that they are total POS cant shoot straight, wont fire, and basically fall apart.

Man I wish someone would have told me that before I feed 1000 plus rds through each one with just a few FTFs in the first few 100-200 and took them on countless hog hunts beating the hell out of them.

The truth is most AKs you can buy now are parts kits (Saiga of course is the real deal only with a bastard trigger stuck on it easy fix though) the beauty of the AK is that it was designed to fit loose so that parts can be swapped around for repairs and also it helps it to keep on working in the worse conditions.

Will the cheap AKs work your damn right they will the AK is simple we aren't talking about an over engineered rifle with 200 moving parts in it. The difference is in the quality of the parts. You can see the difference clear as night and day between my WASRs and my Saiga.

With current prices just under $300 the quality vs cost of the Saiga can not be beat by any other AK out there

Your right. The best place to find out how a burger king cheeseburgers are is at a mcdonalds. And many people enjoy the organization of this forum and it is appreciated to keep topics in the appropriate sections.

Thanks

I hope you give this much attention to each and every person who puts their post in the wrong section (even thought this post is where it belongs) I guess it's good to know that some people have nothing else better to do than try and give other people a hard time about meaningless crap. Back on topic I decided to go with a saiga and convert it's the only way to know you got a good rifle

Edited by pony_express1973

It's not the only way, but definitely the most cost-effective. If you buy an Arsenal product, you'll almost definitely get a high-quality rifle, and I can tell you from personal experience that their customer service has greatly improved in the last year. If you did happen to get a lemon, I'm fairly sure they'd make things right. I have one modern-day Arsenal product, a 107FR. I also have an old Arsenal Bulgaria model 100H, just an imported receiver with a Hungarian parts kit built on it. Both rifles have worked extremely well for me - the finish on the 107FR is much nicer.