Which surplus ammo cans to store bulk pack 12 ga?

I am starting to gather three different types of 12 ga ammo all is 2 3/4" but packaged differently

Federal bulk in 25 round boxes

Royal Buck 00 Buck in 5 round boxes

Centurion Slug in 10 round boxes

Because of the packaging 5 boxes of 5 rounds of the 00 wont fit in the same space as a 25 round box.

I am looking for ammo cans to store the various boxes in, I would like to store the shells in the original packaging inside the cans.

Does anyone have any experience with this that I could rely on rather than taking a bunch of shell boxes to the surplus store to see what fits?

Thanks,

--Chris

The federal 25 round boxes don't really stack ideally in a standard 5.56 ammo can. Best I can remember there will be a space on one side wide enough to fit a single row sleeve of shells if you don't mind having different types in the same can. However if you remove the shells from the box they stack perfectly. Just have to alternate obviously for the lip on the brass. Hope that helped. Can snap a pic later if you need it. Or measure the internal dimensions of a standard ammo can.

I like .50 cal cans for most ammo. Little stuff like .22, .25, 9mm and .223 go better in the .556 cans. Everything else in the .50's. Also the boxes that comblock ammo comes in are the tits for bulk ammo or gear.

I like .50 cal cans for most ammo. Little stuff like .22, .25, 9mm and .223 go better in the .556 cans. Everything else in the .50's. Also the boxes that comblock ammo comes in are the tits for bulk ammo or gear.

Are you talking US Mil .50 BMG cans? They are the same can as 5.56 rifle/carbine and 9mm ammo comes in. You must be talking about DSHK cans.

For stashing 7.62x39mm, I use the cans linked 7.62 NATO come in. You can fit 480 rounds of Wolf, Tula, etc., absolutely perfect in their boxes. I use SAW boxes for most ammo, 40 mm grenade cans if I need more room, mainly for transporting a variety of ammo to the range.

Thanks for all the input so far. Most ammo cans will work if it take the shells out of the boxes. Heck most will work even if I don't. What I am looking for is the most efficient use of the space inside the can with the shells in the boxes.

A can that is wide enough for 1 and 3/4ths boxes wastes a lot of space. Similarly a can that can hold 1.95 boxes tall has lots of waste as well. The five pack sleeves take up more room than the 25 round boxes so what works for one might not work for the other. I won't get a chance to drag a bunch of ammo to the surplus store for a couple of weeks so I thought maybe someone had already done the research. If you have pictures of your solution that would be helpful as well.

i just went through my ammo cans. In 1 of my DSHK cans, I have in 7.62x39, are 300 boxed rounds & 80 rounds loose. I also have in the same can, in .223, 360 boxed rounds & 120 loose rounds. I think there is enough room left for another 200 - 400 rounds loose. Not bad, over 1000 rounds potential in one can.

they are not the best design for 2 3/4 shot shell boxes though. lots of dead space that cant be utilized with them in box. ill try to unbox & stack to see how they go.

Edited by GregM1

Okay, partial answers:

Both a 30mm and 40mm ammo can are pretty efficient for storing the 25 round boxes.

A 30mm can can store 42 boxes (1050 rounds) with only a little wasted space at the top. This is about as large as could be considered "practical"( if 1050 rounds of birdshot is "practical" ) to move by yourself

30MM_7x3x2.jpg

A 40mm can stores 16 boxes (400 rounds) with a little more wasted space at the top but not much

40MM_4x2x2.jpg

Hope this helps someone who had the same questions I did.

• Like 1

I have ammo cans in all shapes and sizes. I look to make certain that the rubber seals are really good. I also spray the seals with RemOil and then wipe down. I remove all of my ammo from the paper boxes and then toss in some desiccant. I also use duck tape and sharpie marker and mark the date of purchase and caliber on the front side.

Just my 2c.gif

Good luck,

Yakdung