Should've listened about Classic Arms...

So I read about some folks having bad experiences with Classic Arms. But I really wanted a Saiga 12, and their price for the converted gun is too good to pass up. So I call them up. They say yes, the guns are in stock, ready to go. I submit my order about 3 minutes later. (I'd already had my FFL fax his license.) I call about 5 minutes later to verify they received the order. "Yes sir, we got it. It will go out tomorrow." So, after a week, I still haven't gotten any shipping notification. So I just got off the phone with them. The girl on the phone says they've been out of stock, and they're hoping to get them in the next week and a half. When I respond that she's the one I talked to last week, and asked why she'd lied about having them in stock when I talked with her the first time. She asked if I'm cancelling my order. This will absolutely be my last purchase from this shady outfit. I should have picked up on how ignorant they were about the products when I've talked to them. But I want a Saiga so badly, I still went ahead with the deal anyway. God, I feel stupid.

So I read about some folks having bad experiences with Classic Arms. But I really wanted a Saiga 12, and their price for the converted gun is too good to pass up. So I call them up. They say yes, the guns are in stock, ready to go. I submit my order about 3 minutes later. (I'd already had my FFL fax his license.) I call about 5 minutes later to verify they received the order. "Yes sir, we got it. It will go out tomorrow." So, after a week, I still haven't gotten any shipping notification. So I just got off the phone with them. The girl on the phone says they've been out of stock, and they're hoping to get them in the next week and a half. When I respond that she's the one I talked to last week, and asked why she'd lied about having them in stock when I talked with her the first time. She asked if I'm cancelling my order. This will absolutely be my last purchase from this shady outfit. I should have picked up on how ignorant they were about the products when I've talked to them. But I want a Saiga so badly, I still went ahead with the deal anyway. God, I feel stupid.

Classic Arms has always given me great service.

When you placed your order, the information on her end may have not been correct at the time.

Classic should have contacted you about the delay, and that is all they did wrong.

You went and called her a "liar" without giving her the benefit of the doubt.

The sales help is just trying to make a honest living and you went and insulted her personally.

If you would have called some vendors help on here a "liar", you would have been handed a refund and THEY would have refused to do business with you ever again.

To get a good deal sometimes it takes a little patience which you seem to lack.

Edited by Jetmech
  • Like 4

You newbies jumping on the bandwagon crack me up. Wow, you've had to wait a whole week on a S12, and might have to wait another week or two...OH THE TRAGEDY! Give them a chance to make good on their order before you start whining here in the forums...mad.gif

• Like 4

Multiple dealings with Classic Arms and never had a problem... No one is perfect, the last that was, was flogged & beaten to within a inch of his life, crucified, speared and left to die in agony.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 7

I've only bought from them once. Service was very good. However, I believe they changed ownership since then.

When I respond that she's the one I talked to last week, and asked why she'd lied about having them in stock when I talked with her the first time. She asked if I'm cancelling my order.

Just a friendly though, sometimes people are mistaken, not lying. Lobbying that type of accusation first thing is more likely to turn things south than help. Sorry for your negative experience.

I ordered one of their converted s-12's a couple weeks ago: they WILL get it to you, but it will take a while. As I understand it, they are selling them faster than their guy can convert them at the moment, but at that price, I can't complain.

Workmanship is pretty good on my S-12, too. Riveted holes, everything fits tight, Molot grip and Tapco stock/trigger group. At 800, that's paying what, 50 for labor (stock gun at 600, 150ish in parts?). I meant to do a full review of it at some point, but eh, life.

Edited by Jackalope

I paid almost $800 for a box-fresh Saiga that was in stock- cash & carry. Then, I bought a conversion kit. Another $150 or so.

To be honest... waiting a week or three would have been okay too. Perhaps even better since I could have saved the money. But the ATF study scare was happening in the background and Saigas were in short supply at the time.

I think your frustration is that you have a wad of cash out there and someone's story didn't seem to add up. I'd give them some time & get caught up on their supply. I always buy on a credit card (and then pay it off when it arrives!) so I have the buyer protection offered if a deal goes wrong.

They fucked me 3 times in a row. 3 weapons returned with issues that I specifically asked for them to check for before shipping ( verbally on the phone and in writing with the MO. No canted sights, warped receiver, or rust). One weapon that they "checked before shipping" even had a pin missing from the front sight among canted sights and rust. Finally, they made good on it (I just switched my order to an S12 which I knew I would tear apart anyway and could fix whatever issues may have been present), but I will never order from them again unless they are the only gig that has what I want and I can't find it on the secondary market.

They are glaringly incompetent when it comes to firearms and should be selling children's books on eBay.... maybe they could do that well.... if they knew what they had in stock.

ETA: It took over 3 months for me to end up with a weapon in-hand that was worth keeping.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Yo, after lurking for a while, I joined the forum after seeing this thread. I just bought my Saiga 12 from Classic Arms, so I can relate to your experience. I purchased the firearm, a drum, muzzle break, and a few other goodies from them. A week later, I saw that I had not been billed. I called them up and probably spoke to the same sales representative lady you did. She said that their Saigas were on backorder and I would probably get billed that weekend when they got another batch in. I was indeed billed the next day, and about two weeks later, the FFL received my order.

Although the wait was painful, I am pleased with their prices and service. Just try to understand that since their price on their Saiga 12 conversion is so good, a lot of people want them. A LOT. There are probably many other folks in line ahead of you. I ordered within the first three days of their deal, and it took me about a month to get mine.

Hi I am new to the forum...

I’m looking at getting the Classic Arms converted S12… or the stock S12 and have the JT Engineering conversion.

Plusses or minuses? Thanks.

I'm a bit of a Saiga n00b, but their conversion is very nice. The buttstock is one of the plain black Tapcos and I think someone on this thread said the pistol grip is a Molot? I was worried that it might be uncomfortable for me to hold since I'm a thin guy, and my hands aren't the biggest or meatiest. The pistol grip, however, is nice and solid and fits my hand very well. They also included a bulldog case and some cheapo sling I have no idea how to put together for free.

My one worry is that after checking out the gas ports, it looks like a have a 3-porter, and one of them might be slightly obstructed. I haven't shot it yet, so I can't really do a proper review.

I also got that free sling from them, no idea how to use it.

Made by Cowtown Shooters? If so, that thing is a real rat's nest to figure out. I'd sooner try to weave a sling from a ball of yard with cat spit all over it.

I have personally purchased over a DOZEN firearms from Classic arms... I have had ONE problem ONE TIME... I bought a hard chromed Mosin Nagant M38 with synthetic stock... It keyholed at 25 yards... I called them instantly, on the phone... They sent me out 2 brand new ( or as close to new as you can get at the time ) K-31 Swiss rifles, as well as enough ammo to make up the difference... The rifles CROSSED in the UPS system... I had the new rifles within 4 days!!!! no fuss, no muss, no issues, no hassles, no headaches...

Unfortunately.... This was before the change of ownership... SO... If they are fucking over people now... I feel for ya... all I know is that in the past they were *THE* best online place to buy from hands down!!!

:smoke:

OK, I did receive my shotgun today. It was imported by Legion, inspected May, 2011. The outfit they used to do the conversion did a pretty rushed job. Where the trigger plate was relocated, they didn't really prep the area before painting. Also, the new trigger guard is light gray, and doesn't match the rest of the gun. The pistol grip is on a little crooked, but I'll try to straighten that later. (May just be torqued down at an angle?) The Tapco trigger feels nice. They deleted the BHO. (Is that something I want, or do most folks take them off?) The safety lever is DEFINITELY getting replaced with a Krebs lever. The stock one is really stiff and balky...not like my AK levers at all. There are 3 gas ports, but they were all obstructed. I did take a paper clip and jab it in each hole till it went through. I'll swab the barrel out in the morning, just to make sure there are no metal shavings in the barrel. All in all, it looks like it's gonna be a fun project. But I do wish I would have done the conversion myself. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, and I'm sure if I'd taken my time, I'd have done a better job.

Edited by Brad737

You probably would have done a better job. The BHO is controversial some say take it out and throw it away b/c it has been known to cause issues by popping up inside the receiver. This issue can be all but eliminated though with a little work. Myself I like it and I think you payed for it you should have got the BHO, kinda shitty they took it out. Did you know before it would come without it?? If not I would be asking for my damned BHO.

• Like 1

I had no issues with them. I ordered late on a Friday and they even processed and shipped the order on Saturday. They had tracking info avail when I called them, even though there systems are clearly not the most modern. Both local FFLs I spoke to had dealt with them and had only positive experiences. If they modernized their website and shipping system they would be the first place I went for things, because their prices surely cannot be beat.