15 months in the making: RPKS-12

I call her the RPKS-12, and I love this gun. It is my favorite gun I have owned/shot/lusted after since I was a child. I love it even more than I loved Rainbow 6 back in 8th grade. And I love this forum.

Without yall's help I wouldn't be aware this beautiful shotgun existed! Since joining a year ago, I have read 100s of threads, solicited yall's help, bought parts from the conveniently located and incredibly reliable business members, bought a Saiga 7.62 off of AZG, and loved every lurking minute. Thank yall!

Now, after owning my S-12 since July 2010 I am ready to reveal my finished product. I slowly gathered my parts one by one on a college kid budget, sometimes sacrificing those beloved whiskey runs for the more expensive pieces. The conversion was done in house with the help of a good amount of luck, two 40lb dumbells, plywood, a bottle of Jameson's, and my good friend Josiah, currently serving in Afghanistan right now. This weapon is dedicated to him.

Here are my build specs:

RAA IZ 109 bought used

basic CSS conversion kit with Tromix bolt on trigger guard

K-Var RPK hand guard and retainer

Dinzag raised front sight block

Polychoke II vented

Arsenal RPK grip

MD Arms V-Plug

Royal Tiger Arms Stock

Pauly's Glassbolt

modified Magpul MOE rail section

2 AGP "INFIDEL" mags off gunbroker (just had to have them, says the english on the flip side)

Graco Breako mercury recoil reducer

As expected, Pauly's work is fantastic, I cant think of my gun as it was without it anymore. I have a Tromix bolt-on charging handle that I loved, but the glassbolt just looks so damn good, I can't bring myself to put it back on again.

The Royal Tiger stock was as close to a polymer RPK style as I could find. It is cheap though, way cheaper feeling than even the tapco stock. Butt pad is just rubber wedged into the back of the stock. One member, Smoke Eater, I believe suggested I fill it with insulation foam, which worked awesome. Feels surprisingly solid now and holds a mercury recoil tube. Haven't shot with it yet, but I'm dying to feel it!

Runs like a champ. I'll be hunting duck and deer and clays and beer cans and old fruit and evil and anything that is in season soon.

Only thing I can see left to do is out fit it with an MD drum, a couple more AGPs, and rig up a higher cheek weld for running optics. Got a Sightmark Ultrashot on a UTG QD side mount that sits a bit high.

I've got the fever. I think I need one in every gauge and caliber. On the list is a Dinzag AKS-12, a Titan rail SBS, and definitely an SGL-41. smile.png

Hope yall like it!

another pic:

post-25649-0-01814300-1320197495_thumb.jpg

post-25649-0-84935500-1320202417_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You still need to plug those holes above the pistol grip. I suggest Ace Hardware. They have teflon plugs for like 36 cents that snap in place on one side. The other side is too small and you will have to ream the holes with a drill bit or something to make them the same size.

I don't blame anyone who pays someone else to convert a Saiga, especially a Business Member of our forum, but it feels so good to have done it yourself. Doesn't it?

That looks awesome. Congratulations!

You still need to plug those holes above the pistol grip. I suggest Ace Hardware. They have teflon plugs for like 36 cents that snap in place on one side. The other side is too small and you will have to ream the holes with a drill bit or something to make them the same size.

Gotta be a better way. The stock blocks the rear holes and I ain't making any bigger holes in my receiver.

You know what. I say we should be rebels and keep the holes in the receiver.

352.jpg

Gotta be a better way. The stock blocks the rear holes and I ain't making any bigger holes in my receiver.

352.jpg

Remove a small divet in each side of the stock where the holes are. I got my plugs from lowes and granted they were $1+ per bag of TWO! but I didnt have to do anything but pop them in. Dont know about what inflight is talking about, mine fit fine. You can also have somebody weld em up.

Of course its your gun and you can leave them if you want. Regardless thats a fine looking weapon.

352.jpg

Remove a small divet in each side of the stock where the holes are. I got my plugs from lowes and granted they were $1+ per bag of TWO! but I didnt have to do anything but pop them in. Dont know about what inflight is talking about, mine fit fine. You can also have somebody weld em up.

Of course its your gun and you can leave them if you want. Regardless thats a fine looking weapon.

I appreciate the compliment. I got some plugs with my conversion kit but they don't fit. I didn't enlarge the holes when I drilled out the pins. For the time being I'll stick with the holes.

Thanks all! I'm loving it and feels great to have it converted myself. I'm not sure of the LOP, when I get a chance I'll measure it for yall. Sorry for beating you to it ATD ;) I'd recommend the set up though, I enjoy how it wasn't nearly as expensive as some options for us on a budget, but it still feels and looks like a complete themed gun.

Thanks all! I'm loving it and feels great to have it converted myself. I'm not sure of the LOP, when I get a chance I'll measure it for yall. Sorry for beating you to it ATD wink.png I'd recommend the set up though, I enjoy how it wasn't nearly as expensive as some options for us on a budget, but it still feels and looks like a complete themed gun.

Yes, it certainly looks cool and not like every other S12 that we see. +1 for originality.

Ya know this may sound crazy...but instead of making the holes bigger on the gun......there is the option of using a razor knife to shave some of the plug away that inserts in the hole.

Ya know screw up the .50 part instead of the $500 dollar gun?

And yes you can drill a 1/8" dimple into the rear receiver block to let the plugs sit inside the holes, if you can't someone has to tell that to my gun.

• Like 2

Hahaha thanks Alpha Kilo, I was going for the dinzag-esque title like that AKS-12, which is what I originally wanted. One of these days I'll get one! a side folder would be cool and I thought about it but im a sucker for consistent themes.

Thanks evlblkwpns! I'm glad you like it, originality is a high compliment :) the LOP is 12 inches to the grip and 10 to the butt of the receiver.

I tried to plug the holes with the plugs from CSS that came with the conversion kit, but I couldnt force them in there, even when shaving off a little with a knife like scoutjoe recommended. One day I'd like to get them welded up, they are a bit unsightly, but it's not a big issue to me. For the time being I'll have to toss my glove in with leadsled and be a 4 hole rebel! :)

Lean and mean look, and I personally like it!!! My first build is a folding stock at this point and I am going to 'junk' it up a bit, just for fun. But my next one (and there will be a next one) will most probably have a fixed stock and be a lot cleaner than my first. I like the look of your weapon and it is all subjective, like with cars and women!! I am starting with plug for the receiver holes but will get the welding eventually.