5.45 BG does nothing

i have converted my 5.45, installed the bullet guide, but had to modify it to be able to use the original 10 rounder, last round still jammed on military mags, so i uninstalled the BG and ordered another one, just now installed it without modifying it, and still the last round jammes. HELP, dont know what to do

Good pics of how it jams would be helpful, I'm sure. Also, make sure it actually jams when firing, not just when feeding the rounds slowly manually (riding bolt home, etc). Are you sure the mags are good? DIsassemble them and see. Maybe clean them up.

As for the factory mag..you're not supposed to modify the BG. You put the BG in stock, and you modify the factory mag to make it match the front lip profile of the AK74 magazines.

i have converted my 5.45, installed the bullet guide, but had to modify it to be able to use the original 10 rounder, last round still jammed on military mags, so i uninstalled the BG and ordered another one, just now installed it without modifying it, and still the last round jammes. HELP, dont know what to do

How many different mags have you tried?

It will be interesting to see how this turns out, Baraban. I have shot my new 5.45 Saiga less than 100 rounds, but have had no feeding issues with the factory 10 round mag, or Polish Metal Mags.

If I let the bolt down slowly, by hand, the bullet jams against the breech of the barrel, of course. Let the bolt fly home and the round pops up and in like it should. I know I need more

range time before I can make a qualified judgement; but I am thinking that a Bullet Guide may not be necessary.

Question for the knowledgeable out there: Do the military versions of the AK-74 have a bullet guide installed?

John

I think you have the wrong BG for the rifle. The one for the 5.45 is much thicker than the x39 BG. I just went through this same issue a few weeks ago. You need the BG with the obvious ramp cut into the leading edge of it.

If you have the round trunnion, it's the wider BG with the two indentations in the leading edge.... at least that's what I got.

• Like 1

I had an issue with my Saiga 5.45 conversion feeding the last bullet also. I ended up fabricating my own from a chunk of low alloy steel. Dremel and files were my tools. I found a few pics of a demilled AK-74M online and wanted to match that one as closely as possible as I'm trying to recreate an authentic 74M build. Anyway, the guide is screwed into the trunnion and functions 100%. I will be filling in the top of the flat head screw with JB weld and grinding it flat to represent a false rivet to make it blend in a bit more. It's not perfect by any means but I'm satisfied with the results.

Factory one on demilled rifle:

t3.jpg?t=1320547243

Fabricated one:

IMG00815-20111021-1645.jpg?t=1320546959

IMG00816-20111021-1645.jpg?t=13205470233

IMG00822-20111021-1652.jpg?t=1320547160

Edited by lksyotas

I thought 5.45x39's didn't need a BG??

It needs it. It will feed from normal AK-74 mags but not reliable. Hand cycling mine craps out in the last few rounds. The mag catch may also need to be filed to fit hi-cap mags.

hand cycling is different then firing... I have a couple with a few thousand rounds through them that would beg to differ about needing a bullet guide. They are in military guns, and to get all the way there it is required for authenticity, and "100% reliability" but as evident by this thread, it could potentially have a negative impact on reliability.

Ive had some 5.45's that need a BG and some that don't, but i always put them in for good measure. The best guide that I have used is an actual bullet guide that has been removed from a trunion from a parts kit. Slightly modify it and install. I got mine from Kvar for about 20-30 bucks.

Great! So this proves it was a thickness issue, that is, the washer lifted the guide to, in effect, make it thicker. I wonder if the optimum height of the guide varies from magazine to magazine because of subtle differences in the angle of the emerging cartridge due to different follower contours? Also, all cartridges come out of the mag with another cart.pushing against it on a diagonal axis, except for the last cart. in the mag. Is this why the last cartridge is most likely to missfeed? Just thinkin.

John

I put a tiny washer underneath the guide, had to fit the lip some more to fit underneath the barrel, but it works!!! Now another issue, i used an arsenal us made trigger for this build, and every shot the trigger vibrates so bad that it hurts my finger, i had to dremmel/file the disconnector to fit in with the bolt that holds the trigger guard, who can i do to fix the issue?

My ten rounder also works with the bulletguide

Now another issue, i used an arsenal us made trigger for this build, and every shot the trigger vibrates so bad that it hurts my finger, i had to dremmel/file the disconnector to fit in with the bolt that holds the trigger guard, who can i do to fix the issue?

sounds like trigger slap. it occurs when the carrier is pressing down the hammer as it rides back from the gas pressure. check the hammer face to see if it is receiving much impact from the carrier. polishing this might be the answer. i would suggest researching trigger slap for more accurate analysis of this.