I have been researching the GSG 522 and bit the bullet on one yesterday. Ordered the 522sd from a local dealer. Also went ahead and ordered the gsg5 conversion kit.

Wanted to see who here owned one and get any tips you guys may have. There is a forum over at ar15.com that I've been reading bit didnt know any other places.

Sig 522? burned a few rounds through a friends, but was mostly trying out other .22s at the range (needed to let his 14-yo daughter shoot the 522). Rifle was brand new, so may have needed some serious break-in, but we had a couple odd FTEs where the empty didn't get ejected from the weapon but were rattling around loose in the receiver. Also possible that it was too dry. It's my understanding that Sigs need to be much 'wetter' than an AR, which is what we are used to.

• Like 1

got the sd model but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. There is a gsg forum, just google it. GSG lost a trade dress case to HK so they had to quit production. Read article in G & A that said if ya find one, get it while you can.

Sig 522? burned a few rounds through a friends, but was mostly trying out other .22s at the range (needed to let his 14-yo daughter shoot the 522). Rifle was brand new, so may have needed some serious break-in, but we had a couple odd FTEs where the empty didn't get ejected from the weapon but were rattling around loose in the receiver. Also possible that it was too dry. It's my understanding that Sigs need to be much 'wetter' than an AR, which is what we are used to.

Ugh no, the GSG 522, as in German Sport Guns. Never even handled a Sig before.

got the sd model but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. There is a gsg forum, just google it. GSG lost a trade dress case to HK so they had to quit production. Read article in G & A that said if ya find one, get it while you can.

Everything I have read says they just made cosmetic changes to the ouside of the rifle. Nothing about production ceasing. Thus the name change from gsg5 to gsg522. Also the conversation kit takes it back to an mp5 look alike(sorta). Please tell me where you see them shutting down production.

I have had my GSG for a year now and put a little over a 1000 rounds through it. No problems but I do clean and lube the crap out of it. Nice little plinker and you should be happy with it. Mine in the anniversary edition so it has the silver coloring. It was all they had for sale at the time i wanted one.

I put an ICS slider stock on it and I like the way it feels.

Vince @ msp fabrication.

I've both the GSG and a sig522...I am not particularly happy with the GSG, it's reliability is so-so even when kept clean. When it works, it's accurate.

The Sig, I can't be any happier about. Eats through any ammo, all day every day and still works just fine after hundreds of rounds going through it per range day.

• 4 weeks later...

What you'll want (have) to do is got to http://rrages.com and pick up the HK push pins and the screw kit. They will make your life a TON easier. Then get yourself a clamp-on rail and some kind of optic on the gun. The iron sites work, but they aren't the greatest for precision work. Buy lots and lots of mags, but DO NOT put any non jacketed rounds though it or else hate yourself cleaning. I also run mini-mags at all possible and stay away from remington thunderbotls, but that's a personal preference.

I've put maybe 3k rounds through mine and it's been a great little gun (GSG5 pre suit gen 2)

Edited by BigBump

I bought one at the last gun show at Dalton, Oh. with 2 additional mags, for 250 bucks. the guy hardly fired it, still had the paperwork and all the accessories. now I don't know if these came with a low profile mount or not, but there is one on mine. I took it out and shot it with high velocity .22 ammo, that the manual says to use, and had zero problems with it feeding, cycling etc... pretty accurate as well. don't know about run of the mill .22 ammo, guess I will buy a couple boxes and see what happens there.

besides the MOSSBERG M44 I picked up at the CMP a few years back, this is the only other .22 I have. for 250 bucks that's about all those things are worth to me, I wouldn't pay the crazy prices I see for a .22 rifle.

post-22408-0-43172100-1322786712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • 4 months later...

I bought a used one from our club secretary just before the end of last year.....have probably put a coiuple of thousand rounds through it so far.....actually probably more. It came with a proper moderator (a little longer) than the barrel cover that's on it (which I also have), 6 mags, a tactical front grip and a Barska red dot sight. Great little gun! I've since added a harris bipod (makes it easier for my g/friend to shoot it) and I have a foregrip I can put on the front rail when I take the bipod off.

I haven't stripped it down to clean it properly yet, but have ran a bore snake through it regularly and also cleaned out the breach end a little with the bent brush!!

Looking to order some HK pushpins and screws/bolts from rrages website soon - may make me strip it down a bit further more regularly to clean it properly.

Generally use CCI mini mag ammo, but in a fit of trying to save money, tried remington gold......the gun just doesn't like them.....although one of the other guys at the club has the same gun and his works fine with the remington gold. Did have some misfeeds with the gun, but took out the sliders/clips on 3 of my mags...no more misfeeds on them - although you do lose the hold open on empty feature

Tempted to get a different stock on it.......mostly for looks though as the stock one......works fine for me....

I had one briefly. IMO it's not up to par with the M&P15-22, Sig 522, etc. I sold it shortly after buying it. Had alot of FTF's with different types of ammo. Cool looking gun but IMO you shouldn't have to upgraded the scews on a gun so they won't strip! Seemed very cheaply made to me.

I have the recent version of the GSG522SD, with round hand grip and large 'silencer'. Looks and feels great, I added the folding stock that adjust pull and cheek rest. See

Put Red dot on top, and after getting it sighted, sent a fresh target at the indoor range back to the 25 yards max, all 22 shots from the mag were in the head!

I've seen the previous SD, mine looks way better in my opinion!

2012 04 19 00.41.48

Mine has run like a champ since day one. I picked it up for $419 after tax and background check from a local shop, and have been extremely pleased. I occasionally experience FTF's, but I attribute this to shitty ammo and not the gun, because it only happens with certain brands. For $400 you can get a very nice Ruger 10/22, but having shot both, I can say that this gun wins in the fun category hands down. Plus, out to ~50 yards with a decent scope you can shoot just as accurately.
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...