red dot or scope?

Im going back and forth....; still doing research, but wanted to get a convo going about this.

I am thinking scope now, because w improved vision of the target I can stay on target longer when pull the trigger.

Red dot seems to just be a nicer sight... I can use the iron sights fine so far.

I think a scope belongs on a medium-long range Designated Marksman Rifle, the 7.62x39 AK is not generally a DMR.

The ACOGs and new Leupold HAMR are mid-range scopes, they generally mount a separate RDS for CQB.

You really need to know where & how your going to be fighting/shooting and what best suits your needs.

If the vast majority of your targets are medium range, 300-500 yards, then a ACOG or such may be a good option for you.

If your needing precise shots on a lot at small or fleeting medium range targets or at long range 500+ yards, then a good dedicated scope is for you.

There are a increasing number of 1-4 magnification RDS/scope combos, optics intended for dual use by DMRs, CQB and medium range.

I have used the Millet DMS 1-4x24, which while a bit large/heavy, is IMO, a nice optic.

The AK being a Main Battle Rifle, with a intended use of 0-300 yards, a good shooter is primarily a good rifleman.

Using irons alone, you should be able to hit a 12" target out to 300yrds, a good rifleman can hit man sized targets with consistency out to 500yrds with irons.

I look at optics on a MBR like this...

RDS

Generally larger sight picture and sight picture with both eyes open allows one to monitor their surroundings better.

Larger sight picture enables shooter to reacquire the target quicker.

Can be used in conjunction with a separate magnifier for longer shots.

Possible cowitness with irons, irons can still be used if optic goes down.

Scope

Generally narrow field of view, one eyed sight picture and narrow FoV makes it harder (not easier) to reacquire the target for quick follow up.

Narrow field of view can make one vulnerable to becoming target fixated and unaware of surroundings.

Not able to cowitness with iron sights. Usually have to remove scope to use irons unless mount/rings allow for use of irons.

Just my $0.02

Edited by ChileRelleno

Red Dot. I want my rifle to put hits on multiple targets if necessary, that requires a fast acquisition. I view the AK as a close to medium range weapon. I'm really not concerned about going much further than 50yds. with it.

I have been practicing with open sights and really enjoying it. I may just stay with it.

Edited by Son Of Jared

I agree.. its not really a long distance rifle... I want it for 100 yards or less... if more great. I was looking at a certain brand red dot now... but they are sold out at this site. Lucid HD7! and the 2x magnifier attachement.. this red dot runs about 200 bucks... but in a vid, guy states its , in his opinion, best for 200

but in a vid, guy states its , in his opinion, best for 200

[sarcasm]well if there is a video on the interwebs about it then it MUST be true.. [/sarcasm]

point being I would make a thread here stating the following..

"decided on red dot.. suggest optic and mount"

and see what people on this site who are familiar with the platform recommend..

Lucid HD7seems to be fairly well regarded.

I've played with one at the range, thought it was OK, but didn't like the knobs and it has some definite bulk - I like a more compact RDS.

I wouldn't buy it... Just my $0.02

I really like both of Vortex's offerings, the Strikefire and SPARC, and Primary Arms clone of Aimpoint's Micro is very well reviewed.

• Like 1

Lucid HD7seems to be fairly well regarded.

I've played with one at the range, thought it was OK, but didn't like the knobs and it has some definite bulk - I like a more compact RDS.

I wouldn't buy it... Just my $0.02

I really like both of Vortex's offerings, the Strikefire and SPARC, and Primary Arms clone of Aimpoint's Micro is very well reviewed.

I have an actual aimpoint and it is full of win.. but it is also hundreds of dollars.. as you pointed out the Primary Arms ones seem decent.. if I did not have the bank to have the aimpoint I have.. I would likely have PA still mounted on the ultimak..

FWIW I have been very happy with my bushnell trs-25(69.99 at cabelas on sale) and I hear the primary arms are very similar. I'd love an ampoint but I have about $425 total into this rifle and cannot justify a 4-5 hundred dollar optic. I have mine on a bp02 mount that is heavy but is rock solid and has been removed three times with a perfect return to zero.