9" Side Loading 37mm Launcher

Am I the only one who thinks it is silly to spend $330 on something only capable of shooting fireworks out of?

Only fireworks?

I have loads of CS, CN, and OC tear gas for my standalone 37mm. Along with smoke rounds, and a 26.5mm adapter for parachute flares.

And yes, I've popped off some fireworks on my b-day (July 4!) too.

I wouldn't bother putting it on a shotty as you can get most of the fun stuff in 12ga now. But under a rifle, oh hel ya. Then again a single shot 12ga. under it would do much the same and shoot 00buck as well.

However, If you get a 12ga. insert for it, it would double your available usable ammo and in a smaller package. Hmmm, wonder what the legalities(if any) are? I'll have to measure and see what kinda space I'll have on the bullpupped RPK. Could be fun.

Am I the only one who thinks it is silly to spend $330 on something only capable of shooting fireworks out of?

Only fireworks?

I have loads of CS, CN, and OC tear gas for my standalone 37mm. Along with smoke rounds, and a 26.5mm adapter for parachute flares.

all equally lame. the whole point of these large bore tubes is to fire grenades. if you cant fire those, then there is ZERO practical purpose for a civilian have one of these items stuck to any gun. If you're a boater, then a standalone launcher is good for flares. If you're a riot cop, you'll get one for gas, and smoke. But the only people that get weapon mounted launchers are .mil and use them for one thing - grenades.

even when TEOTWAWKI strikes and we're over run by hordes of zombies, what are you gonna gain by shooting them with OC canisters? nothing. It'll be the wild west and what you need is lead and explosives. My s12 is already a heavy mamma-jamma and now I'm supposed to add another pound at the barrel just to shoot smoke? fuggedaboutit. PLUS, this side-opening version seems to have practically no barrel length. even IF you were able to score from grenades, how well would they work out of a 1/2" barrel? and where are you gonna mount the big-ass grenade scope?

all equally lame. the whole point of these large bore tubes is to fire grenades. if you cant fire those, then there is ZERO practical purpose for a civilian have one of these items stuck to any gun. If you're a boater, then a standalone launcher is good for flares. If you're a riot cop, you'll get one for gas, and smoke. But the only people that get weapon mounted launchers are .mil and use them for one thing - grenades.

I carry a standalone 37mm launcher with me all the time when I backpack in areas where firearms are prohibited. Signaling rounds for if I'm hurt or lost, OC for bears. If I can carry a firearm, I take a 12ga pump and a handful of flare rounds and leave the 37mm at home. But I could see someone wanting a weapon-mounted launcher if they chose to carry a rifle and wanted signaling ability as well.

even when TEOTWAWKI strikes and we're over run by hordes of zombies, what are you gonna gain by shooting them with OC canisters? nothing. It'll be the wild west and what you need is lead and explosives.

Area denial, and concealment. If an attacker has cover, say in a building, and has you pinned.. you can pop tear gas into the building to try to force them out (i.e. try to make them give up cover), or use it to help secure your flank. Tear gas rounds have all the advantages for providing concealment as ordinary smoke rounds, along with the benefit of being a pretty bad irritant - especially for folks running around in a gun fight that have a need to breathe heavily.

And, of course, if it really is TEOTWAWKI - then NFA regs don't matter much and it would be a pretty trivial problem to make some homemade frag grenades, supposing you have some basic reloading supplies and junk metal around. Serious incendiaries would be pretty easy as well. Hell, there are a few places that make field reloadable 37mm casings that are charged by 9mm blanks, so it isn't even like you need a lot of reloading equipment.. just a box of blanks, and material for your payload.

PLUS, this side-opening version seems to have practically no barrel length. even IF you were able to score from grenades, how well would they work out of a 1/2" barrel? and where are you gonna mount the big-ass grenade scope?

Barrel length doesn't matter because the bore doesn't maintain a seal anyhow. So a longer barrel won't buy you any velocity or anything.

It is a launcher, not a gun. The only pressurized chamber is in the casing.. the bore acts as a rough guide and as something of a shield for the operator, and not much else. Longer bores are nice because they allow you to use longer rounds... but standard 5" rounds should work just fine out of a 9" launcher. The rounds are all typically drag, or rarely, fin stabilized anyhow..

However, If you get a 12ga. insert for it, it would double your available usable ammo and in a smaller package. Hmmm, wonder what the legalities(if any) are? I'll have to measure and see what kinda space I'll have on the bullpupped RPK. Could be fun.

The legalities are simple: You need to register with the ATF.

If you use a 37mm launcher, along with ammunition designed for anti-personel use, you need to register your launcher as a DD. So, 12ga inserts designed for "real" 12ga ammo (not just short chambered for flares), and even 37mm LTL riot rounds (rubber ball, bean bags, etc) are all no bueno.

Tear gas, smoke, chalk marking/practice rounds, flares, fireworks, etc are all good.

Interestingly, the ATF made a similar ruling regarding 26.5mm flare guns and .22LR adapters; but instead of requiring a DD stamp, they declared such a device a normal Title 1 firearm, which would simply require a pistol permit (unless the flare gun had a 16"+ barrel, naturally).

Another priceless example of the lack of consistency over at ATF.

Using a canister of gas for bears is not only rediculous, but very impractical.

A cloud of gas will do nothing for you, you need to spray a stream of liquid spray into the face of the bear, and you need precision aim. A bear will simply run through a cloud, and the cloud will go wherever the wind takes it....Do you hike with a gas mask on???

Also, any critter you need to "Launch" a canister at is Not close enough to be a legitimate threat to you.

Are you seriously thinking that this method you have planned, will save your ass from a bear that is actually attacking you?

Hope you have your will written out.

• Like 2

If you use a 37mm launcher, along with ammunition designed for anti-personel use, you need to register your launcher as a DD. So, 12ga inserts designed for "real" 12ga ammo (not just short chambered for flares), and even 37mm LTL riot rounds (rubber ball, bean bags, etc) are all no bueno.

Tear gas, smoke, chalk marking/practice rounds, flares, fireworks, etc are all good.

Interestingly, the ATF made a similar ruling regarding 26.5mm flare guns and .22LR adapters; but instead of requiring a DD stamp, they declared such a device a normal Title 1 firearm, which would simply require a pistol permit (unless the flare gun had a 16"+ barrel, naturally).

The legalities are anything but simple. And the ATF has nothing to do with a "pistol permit". A Title 1 firearm is a Title 1 firearm - some states have permit requirements for handguns, some do not. If you put a .22LR insert in a 26.5mm launcher with at least a 16" barrel and 26" overall length, you have produced a Title 1 firearm - a long gun, a rifle. If you put a 26.5mm anti-personnel cartridge in that same launcher, you've produce a Title 2 firearm - a Destructive Device. Put a smoothbore .410 adapter in a 26.5mm handheld flare launcher, you've produced either an AOW or a DD, either way a Title 2 firearm. ATF rulings on what constitutes a launcher, vs. a Title 1 or Title 2 firearm are anything but simple. Tread carefully.

A cloud of gas will do nothing for you, you need to spray a stream of liquid spray into the face of the bear, and you need precision aim. A bear will simply run through a cloud, and the cloud will go wherever the wind takes it....Do you hike with a gas mask on???

Also, any critter you need to "Launch" a canister at is Not close enough to be a legitimate threat to you.

Are you seriously thinking that this method you have planned, will save your ass from a bear that is actually attacking you?

Nothing short of a few slugs is going to stop a pissed off momma bear looking for her cub, I understand that.

Have you ever encountered a bear? My run ins with them have been limited to having them try to get in close and root around in my campsite. OC has worked very well in that regard.

They have a VERY fine sense of smell. A bit of OC in the air does indeed make them lose interest in whatever morsels of food I have around camp, even when the wind conditions aren't entirely favorable.

No, I don't hike with a mask .. and yes, I have teared up quite a bit on occasion when I've had to use OC and I caught a bit of the cloud. I find that situation far more "practical" than trying to shoo away a bear with my mean growl and some hand waving.

Would I rather have those slugs? You bet. But that isn't always an option.

Nothing short of a few slugs is going to stop a pissed off momma bear looking for her cub, I understand that.

Have you ever encountered a bear? My run ins with them have been limited to having them try to get in close and root around in my campsite. OC has worked very well in that regard.

They have a VERY fine sense of smell. A bit of OC in the air does indeed make them lose interest in whatever morsels of food I have around camp, even when the wind conditions aren't entirely favorable.

No, I don't hike with a mask .. and yes, I have teared up quite a bit on occasion when I've had to use OC and I caught a bit of the cloud. I find that situation far more "practical" than trying to shoo away a bear with my mean growl and some hand waving.

Would I rather have those slugs? You bet. But that isn't always an option.

I have come across 5 grizzlies, and 7 black bears in the mountans of Montana here while hiking of hunting. So I think I have a reasonable voice of experience in this matter. All of them happened very fast and very up close. Way too close for a gas canister, as in just a few feet away from me. I actually had a grizzly charge me and run just to my left, close enough to brush up against me. I didn't even have time to crap my pants on that one! But I tell ya, it is nothing but my .44 mag or my 12 ga pump with 1oz slugs for me out there.

If I Was to carry a chemical deterrant it would be Bear spray which does shoot a liquid stream that you can aim at the bears face, although many folks get mauled even after using the spray. I know some old timers that use Wasp and Hornet spray. More hard hitting stuff in That can and it shoots a good stream up to 25 feet!

Edited by RobRez

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Probably why I saved the picture...ya know in case I need to vomit quickly and I don't have any syrup of isapac handy

Ok, I loved my M203. I couldn't shoot an M16 for shit till they gave me one with the launcher attached, lol. Got me somewhat over the Mattel stamp on my first one. But that...is just...not right. Esp on a Shotty of all things.

The legalities are anything but simple. And the ATF has nothing to do with a "pistol permit". A Title 1 firearm is a Title 1 firearm - some states have permit requirements for handguns, some do not. If you put a .22LR insert in a 26.5mm launcher with at least a 16" barrel and 26" overall length, you have produced a Title 1 firearm - a long gun, a rifle. If you put a 26.5mm anti-personnel cartridge in that same launcher, you've produce a Title 2 firearm - a Destructive Device. Put a smoothbore .410 adapter in a 26.5mm handheld flare launcher, you've produced either an AOW or a DD, either way a Title 2 firearm. ATF rulings on what constitutes a launcher, vs. a Title 1 or Title 2 firearm are anything but simple. Tread carefully.

Ok, I'm confuzzled, why the hel is a single shot, any caliber, anything(anti personnel), mounted under a long gun considered a AOW/DD? Is it the combineing of two "anti personnel" weapons. Then wouldn't a double barreled(O/U or SxS) and a shotty/.22 be considered DD/AOW? I'm guessing a "Master Key" would be the same then. And what about those that mount a pistol under the long gun(I know, rare but I've seen it, lol)?

Yes, the ATF is ANYTHING but simple(except maybe minded), lol.

I'll have to measure and see what kinda space I'll have on the bullpupped RPK. Could be fun.

Ok, I measured my bp'd S12 and theres 10" to the end of the stock and 13" to the tip of the muzzel break. The bp'd RPK will be around 16" to the end of the A1 flashhidder thats now on it. So I figure I'll have plenty of room for a 9" launcher and a foregrip if I can find a wide bipod that'll fold up around the launcher. Hmmm, I gotta stop adding to my projects list and get some done, lol.

Oh, and while "Anti-personnel" rounds may be off limits without a stamp or whatever, that still leaves breaching rounds, flashbangs, etc, I could live with that and save the "anti-personnel" rounds for EoW. Ones use of a tool, is limited only to ones imagination, or lack there of.

Ok, I'm confuzzled, why the hel is a single shot, any caliber, anything(anti personnel), mounted under a long gun considered a AOW/DD? Is it the combineing of two "anti personnel" weapons. Then wouldn't a double barreled(O/U or SxS) and a shotty/.22 be considered DD/AOW? I'm guessing a "Master Key" would be the same then. And what about those that mount a pistol under the long gun(I know, rare but I've seen it, lol)?

Yes, the ATF is ANYTHING but simple(except maybe minded), lol.

Its not matter of mounting it under a weapon.

37mm is a huge bore size. Any weapon with a bore size greater than 0.5 inches is considered a DD by the NFA, with an explicit exception for "sporting use shotguns."

The Street Sweeper / Striker-12 / USAS-12 shotguns were deemed to have no "sporting use" - and since the bore is larger than 0.5", they were classified as DD by ATF. Interestingly, I think a Masterkey is just considered a SBS; but yes, arguably there is no sporting use for a Masterkey, and it could have been declared a DD as well. Tax is the same though, so I don't think they really care on that one.

Possessing anti-personnel rounds for a 37mm turns it into a DD because of the bore size. If you're using it for signalling/pryotechnics/whatever it isn't considered a firearm, and NFA doesn't apply. As soon as you start firing "real" projectiles out of it (whether home-made 37mm shotshells, or 12ga buckshot with an adapter, etc, etc) it is considered a firearm and that huge bore requires a DD stamp.

Oh, and while "Anti-personnel" rounds may be off limits without a stamp or whatever, that still leaves breaching rounds, flashbangs, etc, I could live with that and save the "anti-personnel" rounds for EoW. Ones use of a tool, is limited only to ones imagination, or lack there of.

No, not exactly.

In order to fire 12ga breachers or flashbangs you'd need a 37mm to 12ga adapter. If the adapter accepts full-length 12ga shells you need a stamp, regardless of whether you actually use or intend to use full-length lead buckshot rounds or whatever. The unrestricted 12ga adapters meant for 12ga flares are short chambered so that full length shells wont fit. Sshhh.. don't tell ATF, but the Aguila mini-shells would probably fit fine. Those damned things could actually fuck that ruling all up.

Also, on the flashbang side - there is some arbitrary limit on the amount of flash powder that they can contain for use in a 37mm, as I recall.

It'll cost you about another $300 to get a 37mm DD'ed.. $200 for the stamp, and a bit of coin to get the launcher engraved with a serial number what not per ATF requirements.

Sounds like a lot of money, until you consider the cost and work involved in making a good, safe 12ga adapter yourself for circumventing the law.

Bottom line: if you want to play with 37mm and are interested in things besides smoke/flares/gas/fireworks ... just buy the stamp and save yourself the headache.

Edited by sickness