What is this thing on a Saiga?

FYI the bolt hold open, axis pins, and leaf sight are painted with very weak paint. Rusmil AKs don't seem to receive this paint, while Saigas do. To take it off without harming the finish of any other parts, you can use a bit of "Goof Off" on a Q-tip. The paint will come right off. Believe me, it looks a lot better that way.

You have the option of keeping it or getting rid of it. If you want the BHO function after conversion, keep it

oh is that so? would i just leave the original in or what? im planning on getting a tapco g2 from dinzag, but on his site he says that they will need modification or something like that.. what does he mean by that?

The Tapco hammer axis pin sleeve is too wide to allow the BHO to fit. You can either 1) file the Tapco sleeve a bit until the BHO will slide between the hammer and receiver again, or 2) reuse the Saiga hammer with the Tapco FCG, since it is already cut for the BHO and is (IMO) a better quality part than the Tapco hammer.

If you take option 2, pay attention to hammer engagement and make sure the Saiga hammer catches the trigger and disconnector properly. Some people have problems with this; I didn't. You will also have to add 1 922r part.

Then again there is option 3) dump the BHO.

The Tapco hammer axis pin sleeve is too wide to allow the BHO to fit. You can either 1) file the Tapco sleeve a bit until the BHO will slide between the hammer and receiver again, or 2) reuse the Saiga hammer with the Tapco FCG, since it is already cut for the BHO and is (IMO) a better quality part than the Tapco hammer.

If you take option 2, pay attention to hammer engagement and make sure the Saiga hammer catches the trigger and disconnector properly. Some people have problems with this; I didn't. You will also have to add 1 922r part.

that is very good info, sir. thank you!

FYI the bolt hold open, axis pins, and leaf sight are painted with very weak paint. Rusmil AKs don't seem to receive this paint, while Saigas do. To take it off without harming the finish of any other parts, you can use a bit of "Goof Off" on a Q-tip. The paint will come right off. Believe me, it looks a lot better that way.

Yep, I've had my rifle for a few days, and while finger-fucking the bolt catch, the paint flaked right off. Makes me chuckle a little bit, but then, I did get the rifle for $300.

I think I will take my time with the conversion and probably strip the receiver finish and paint with something better.

I kept my BHO after conversion. Of course its a good idea to mark/score it, then cut it down so it fits flush with the receiver when engaged. So it doesn't interfere with your shooting hand.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

i would suggest keeping a matching FCG. the russian piece is better but the angles both are designed at do not work well together. it can cause a dangerous problem. the dinzag modded FCG is very nice and fits nice and easy. replacing the BHO is a world of agony to some. study up on that before you try.

I kept my BHO after conversion. Of course its a good idea to mark/score it, then cut it down so it fits flush with the receiver when engaged. So it doesn't interfere with your shooting hand.

a lot of people recommend this, but i have never needed to adjust. maybe its the way i work a trigger compared to others. just be careful and don't cut it to short or it can get lodged in the receiver when locking the bolt down. this is a tough problem to resolve when the bolt is locked back and the BHO is jammed in the receiver.

Edited by GregM1

I used a Tromix modified G2 on my S12 and 5.45. Highly recommend this FCG.

If you want a good finish for your BHO, polish the hell out of it! 032.gif

post-32852-0-73925700-1320879222_thumb.jpg

I took about 1/16" off, reprofiled, and polished it in about 20 minutes.

post-32852-0-13891700-1320879387_thumb.jpg

FCG and axis pins too... Can't help myself! 018.gif