Just got mine, first thing I'm gonna do is gonna go shoot it to make sure all is well. Then Install a bullet guide, my question is what AK mags are best? Also when it comes to furniture. I want some nice Russian red wood. Where is a good source for this? Also when you buy wood for it do you get the gas tube with it? Looks like the upper hand guard and gas tube are one piece?

Thanks!

You cant go wrong with Com-Blo steel. Bulgarian Circle 10s are great also. Tapcos are actually OK since they redesigned them Remeber you need 922R compliance parts if you use 30 rounders. Tapco FCG is three and US mags like Tapco are 3. Then you are free to use Russian furniture. I haven't paid much attention lately, but there was a US maker like Ironwood or somebody making red furniture. Tapco even made wood AK furniture for a bit. Read the threads here on converting (restoring). That will answer a lot of questions.

It is very easy to get compliant and just as easy to convert it. Shoot it before then after you convert, it's a nice difference. I went to Carolina Shooters Supply and ordered one of the conversion kits w/ tapco FCG and it is very light on the trigger pull. Just read up on a few conversion topics here to get acquainted and you will be happy.

If you are going to switch to wood, you need to replace the Saiga gas tube with any AK one (except Yugo M70 or Tantal), and add a clamp on retainer for the handguard from CSS. Here's some of the Tapco wood. http://www.tapco.com/products/timbersmith/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=294 The Tapco is 3 US parts, and a Tapco FCG is three, so you would be good with any magazine.

Edited by imarangemaster

Yep, that's the gas tube. Gunbroker usually has a few. Here's the retainer: You need it to use AK type handguard. It is expensive, but WELL worth it. It is what I used on mine. That way you don.t have to mess with removing the gas bock to puit one on. There are ways to cut a standard AK retainer, but they are prone to snappimg when you install them.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Hand-guard/Detail

Yep, that's the gas tube. Gunbroker usually has a few. Here's the retainer: You need it to use AK type handguard. It is expensive, but WELL worth it. It is what I used on mine. That way you don.t have to mess with removing the gas bock to puit one on. There are ways to cut a standard AK retainer, but they are prone to snappimg when you install them.

http://store.carolin...nd-guard/Detail

Thanks bro, for the gas tube just needs to be off a Russian right? And my last question is, If I wanted to put the cleaning rod on it like the AKs do, Looks like Ill have to chnage the front sight. Any quick way (cheap) way to do this?

http://store.carolin...nd-guard/Detail

Thanks bro, for the gas tube just needs to be off a Russian right? And my last question is, If I wanted to put the cleaning rod on it like the AKs do, Looks like Ill have to chnage the front sight. Any quick way (cheap) way to do this?

ANY country's AK gas tube will do EXCEPT Yugo M70 and AMD-65. Mine is Chinese, but I have used E German, Polish, and Romanian, too. For a cleaning rod, you do need to change the FSB. I got a Blackthorn 24mm FSB, and and CNC warrior AK103 brake.

Saiga5.jpg