Need help selecting a stock

Hey guys,

I need some help selecting a stock for my Saiga 12. My end goal is to have the most comfortable, lowest recoil shooting gun I can get. I'm a shorter guy at 5'8" tall.

I had initially thought I'd get the Tromix stock with limbsaver recoil pad, and the CSS cheek rest/pad. But it's not adjustable - I really like the adjustable stock on my AR-15.

Is there an adjustable stock which will be just as or more comfortable than the Tromix?

I like the Magpul CTR with a CAA aluminum tube.

Magpul CTR

http://store.carolin...M4-STOCK/Detail

CAA Tube

http://store.carolin...lapsible/Detail

You can also get a thicker reciol pad for it.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-717/MAGPUL-ENHANCED-RECOIL-PAD/Detail

Or you could cut the tang off and use and internal reciever block with a pignose adapter and get a buffer tube. Then you could by a folding mechanism if you wanted and have a folding and an adjustable stock. You could also use an enidine tube that is supposed to reduce recoil by 70%.

Edited by Ethan M

The CTR stock is great, but does NOT feel very nice when shooting buckshot or slugs, at least to me. I'm about to order a Limbsaver pad for a standard 6 position collapsible stock from CSS.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-559/Limbsaver-Recoil-Pad-M4/Detail?sfs=f33c7e41

ar-m4_08.jpg

Mako GL Shock. It's an AR15 stock with a built-in shock absorber. I use it with a Vltor buffer tube, and a pignose adapter connected to an internal receiver block. I used to have a polymer CAA AR15 Stock adapter, but I never liked the looks of it with the extra block of material behind the receiver.

My S12 has practically no recoil shooting target loads. It actually recoils less than my 1100 and AL391.

Just make sure you can adjust the gas system according to avoid any failures to eject.

Question: Would the Enidine Shot Shock be compatible with the Mako recoil reducing stock? The Mako recoil reducing tube which goes with the stock is out of stock everywhere I've checked. This Enidine model is considerably more, but I'd like to finish my gun, and it looks to be even better than the Mako tube. I assume it is compatible with the Mako stock (standard M4) but thought I'd check.

A few words about soft buttpads....

The softer the pad is, the more enerygy it absorbs that would be better put to use cycling the weapon. Don't go too thick (for example: ACE 1" pad). Try to stick to something around 1/2" thich or less, if you can stand it. I must just be one tough bastard because I can shoot whatever rounds and never get any soreness or marks, and I am always using a metal triangle folder or a WARSAW stock of some sort with a metal buttplate ( just ask menace667 ;) ).

• 2 months later...

Rolex John I sit with the same situation that you sit with, I would also want to know if the Enidine shot stock would work hand in hand with the recoil reducing stock from the mako group. I have contacted The mako groupe before several times but could not have them to provide me with an answer, the problem that I also have is that the saiga that I have come with a folding stock from the factory and therefore I would also have to modify the gun to have another tube and stock connected to the S12.

I must just be one tough bastard because I can shoot whatever rounds and never get any soreness or marks, and I am always using a metal triangle folder or a WARSAW stock of some sort with a metal buttplate ( just ask menace667 wink.png ).

You shoulder your weapon properly. Or maybe that goes along with being a tough bastard :) I run lots of buckshot through my S12, and my pump gun before it .. and never had soreness either after I acclimated to the guns.

You have to pull the butt into your shoulder, if you do it right, the recoil pushes your shoulder rather than punching it. I see a lot of shooters stand perfectly straight up shouldering their weapon. It is difficult to pull the gun into your shoulder that way. I you have to lean into it and pull the gun back.

If I put my hand on your shoulder and push you with 20 ft-lbs of force (rough estimate of the recoil energy of a 'typical' S12), I can do it all day long and you won't be sore. If I punch you with the same force over and over, you're going to bruise.

The best recoil absorber is properly holding the gun. Buy a boatload of 3.5" magnums and shoot carefully and slowly, paying keen attention to your shoulder weld. When you do it wrong, you'll feel it. When you do it right, you'll notice.

• Like 1

I dunno, I have a 1" kick eez and a 16 oz mercury tube and my gun runs fine even loosely holding it from the hip. I can even cycle it without using my crotch as a support. Maybe Evl needs to do some gas work so his gun will work in any position reliably without relying on machismo to cycle it. --thbbbthbp!

I flat out disagree with all of that business. Tune your gun to run with whatever however. Make your gun soak up as much recoil as possible. It means you have a reliable gun that is a pleasure to shoot and fast to get back on target. Also, if you must make the macho claims, realize that a good comfortable setup makes you more likely to use the heavy loads. I notice a direct correlation between how many of these guys who are too manly to use good recoil absorbtion are also too manly to use any shells over 2.75" after their first couple range trips.

Let's face it too, the fanciest gizmo on the end of your barrel for $150 probably doesn't do as much good as a $30 KickEez or a $25 Limbsavr.

These are gas operated guns, if you are relying on blowback to cycle reliably you are doing it wrong. I am not saying good form isn't important, but it shouldn't be a critical factor in whether your defense weapon is reliable.

I had the MAKO recoil reducing AK stock on my S-12 and I hated it. I think the spring is too weak for the 12 gauge; it may be okay with 7.62x39 or something like that. And the pogo stick effect is very unnerving. Now I have a skeleton stock with the above pictured slip-on limbsaver and the CSS push button hinge, and I'm pretty happy with that setup. FWIW, I didn't find any difference in cycling going from the MAKO to the skeleton with the limbsaver. I also didn't detect any difference between firing either configuration from the shoulder, hip, or firmly planted against one of the shooting benches at the range.

I run the Ace Socom stock with the short tube. It's heavier than all the polymer AR stocks out there, but the weight added is behind the pistol grip, giving the weapon a better balance. Not that I plan on taking it to the malls of America and defending our countries shoppers from the hoards of gang members and thugs that are fighting for control of the area, but I also can swing or strike something with confidence with the Socom. Possibly hammering something in a survival situation maybe? I dunno but whatever it is I'm ready for it ;)