1911 build under $1K. Is it possible?

As much fun as I've had working on Saiga rifles, I feel like taking another step down the learning road. I want another 1911, so it seems natural that I should start my next learning experience/cursing session there.

Although I already own one, (my avatar is my mil-spec Springfield) I would like to actually build one from the receiver-up.

I've looked at the main sites like Brownells, Midway, Wilson Combat, etc. and have come to the conclusion that this is one salty project. I also know that some of you have done this before.

So my question has become: Can you actually put one of these bad boys together for under a grand?

I'd love to stick with matching brands or at least higher-end only. Of course, I'd also love to be a millionaire and not have a budget, so here we are again...

The biggest roadblock has been that I want to build an officer's length model. I found government and commander frame/slide kits all day, but struck out on anything under 4".

So should I start buying parts as I can afford them, look somewhere else, or just forget it and buy that Saiga 7.62x39 that I've been wanting? unsure.png

if i were you i'd buy the best parts i could as i could afford them, and in the end it may be well over 1k but you'll have a top quality gun and won't have to pay for it all at once. or you could just buy a rock island 1911 and ask them to ship it to you disassembled 021.gif does that count as a build? lol

Don’t know if you’d be able to do it in the officers model, too few people doing anything in that group. In a commander size it should be easy enough with maybe a Caspian frame and slide and a Kart barrel. I’ve used both Caspian and Essex parts and both worked fine but I always felt like I got a better quality gun from Caspian builds, but all the Essex have worked just as well. The other thing is I’ve always done government sized guns for myself last one (photo) with an Essex frame, same slide as a STI Trojan Spartan, and a Kart barrel ran just over $600.00 but I had some of the internals on hand from upgrades to other 1911s.

Depending on how you go some times it’s better to buy a frame and slide set that has been pre-fitted or you can spend a lot of time doing that part of the operation.

Oh I built my 22 on an Essex frame too.

I kind of like 1911s in case you couldn't tell.

post-26137-0-50019800-1320945460.jpg

post-26137-0-60134600-1320946117.jpg

post-26137-0-94225900-1320946135_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags
  • 3 months later...

if i were you i'd buy the best parts i could as i could afford them, and in the end it may be well over 1k but you'll have a top quality gun and won't have to pay for it all at once. or you could just buy a rock island 1911 and ask them to ship it to you disassembled 021.gif does that count as a build? lol

This actually got me thinking, "Since the bulk of the fitting and money gets wrapped up in the slide/frame/barrel combination, why not get a good middle-of-the-line gun and just upgrade the living crap out of it?"

So I did. Got a pair actually, and despite the unfortunate incident on purchase (my thread in the "Wall of Shame" subforum) I am very pleased. My father and I never really did anything together when I was younger and don't have a whole lot of common interests now. So when he recently expressed interest in going to the range with me, it was the incentive I needed to get this project rolling.

post-32852-0-46375400-1329970033_thumb.jpg

^The one on the right is his now.

post-32852-0-23196500-1329970136_thumb.jpg

Poor man's two-tone actually came out better than I expected.

post-32852-0-24392500-1329970174_thumb.jpg

Loving that mainspring housing.

• Like 1

Couldn't leave mine bone stock (the side-effect of Saiga ownership, I suspect) so I just polished the crap out of everything within reason.

post-32852-0-90891800-1329970795_thumb.jpg

post-32852-0-35703200-1329970868_thumb.jpg

So what say you, fellow firearms enthusiasts?

post-32852-0-20533500-1329970955_thumb.jpg

I like the look, but after what I've got invested, I damn well better! Your thoughts?

• Like 2

Nice, people tend to forget after a point all 1911s are the same. What makes the difference in the quality is the fitting of the parts not whose logo gets put on the big chunks.

Years ago I had a Colt combat commander, worse new gun I ever had. My guess was it was put together on the 2nd of January by someone who had forgot to put the stopper back in the bottle on the 1st. Name brand is no substitute for workmanship.

What makes the difference in the quality is the fitting of the parts not whose logo gets put on the big chunks.

This was kind of what I was thinking. I didn't want to cheap out, but I also didn't feel like paying out the ass for something just because it was a particular brand. The result was a conglomeration of parts from seven different companies but I'm pretty happy and my dad's thrilled, so I guess it came out well enough.

Did a Fusion firearms 10mm hunter build a few years back, I was pretty pleased with it. No longer have it, wished I'd kept it.

I looked at those Fusion kits. No joke: I made this-> greedy.gif exact face. :lol:

I'm still really wanting to do one of those. Maybe next tax return.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like me. I got a Charles Daly Field 1911A1 in trade last year. I disassembled it, and polished the snot out of it. Chamber/feed ramp glisten like chrome now, and trigger has a 3lb pull with a crisp/clean break. I'm waiting on a new Colt 80 series thumb safety to replace the cheapo ambi now(weak point on the Daly guns. It falls out while shooting due to where they put the split), and plan on ditching the "sporter" hammer/beavertail for a traditional spurred hammer/grip safety. I also plan on ditching the rubber grips for some brown plastic/bakelite grip panels, and sending the slide to Novak for a set of night sights. This is what I've done to mine so far:

-Replaced recoil spring with Wolff 18lb and added a recoil buffer to the guide rod.

-polished the chamber/feed ramp to a chrome finish. It now eats whatever it's fed.

-Lightened/smoothed trigger pull/break(cousin did this, so no clue how he did it).

-Reshaped extractor tip for more reliable chambering. Had a honking burr on the bottom edge, and would choke on the first round out of the mag. I simply stoned it smooth in the groove, and added a small angle at the bottom ala Kimber/Springfield.

-Dehorned slide/frame of any sharp edges. Filipino machinists must not believe in "finish work".

-Replaced the corny slide release with a standard Colt release. Old one stuck out like a sore thumb and was butt ugly.

-Polished all pivot points on the sear/hammer with 10K Crocus cloth(be gentle here, work slow, but does improve it a little).

-Flared magwell opening slightly.

-Replaced smooth backstrap with serrated model and new Wolff hammer spring.

I only have about $200 tied up in parts, counting the safety lever.

If you are wanting to do a good build, buy a middle/low end gun and start modding. You can find a Daly for around $350-$400 used, and local shop gets $450-500 new on RIA pistols with 2 8-rounders. You are going to have to do an FFL on the frame anyways, and this way you already have a gun with the slide/frame/barrel already mated. That is the hardest part of a 1911 build out of your way right there.

• 1 month later...

What are the best 8 round mags for the RIA? I have a GI that goes everywhere I go, and will be doing some pokishing and customizing on it plus picking up another, and really would like to own at least 6-8 for each pistol, or more. Ideas, anyone on deals and where to find them?

I'm liking the CMC Powermags & Shooting Stars. IMO, Chip McCormics are the best 1911 mags out there. So far, 0 malfunctions in 2 mags after 500+ rounds through 3 different guns. Biggest lesson I learned: You get what you pay for. Bought a couple of "Colt" mags from CTD for ~$8/ea.

Junk!! 500 rounds later, the springs are shot and the bodies are deformed.