Saw this mentioned in the latest ArmyTimes:

It started as a hypothetical question, one of countless musings proposed by frequenters of the social news and conversation site. Soon, though, users at Reddit.com were enthralled by the equally hypothetical answer, and soon, Rome was hypothetically under siege.

Now, it's going to be a movie, nothing hypothetical about it.

Variety reports that Warner Bros has bought the rights to produce a film out of James Erwin's story, "Rome Sweet Rome," which began as a response to a Reddit pondering over whether a Marine unit could take down the entire Roman empire. The story, which Erwin will pen in screenplay form, brings a Marine Exploratory Unit to Rome in 23 BC, as a conspiracy to overthrow Caesar grows. They alter history, then have to put it back on track to return back to the present, where they were fighting in Afghanistan.

A "teaser" (not the real thing yet) trailer for the film that uses cuts from other films and animation to get the point across:

Looks to be a great time -- I'll waste my $$ on it when it comes out...

Edited by Odd Man Out

Interesting if not original concept, kind'a like the question of one modern Super Carrier Task force being able to absolutely stomp the combined forces of Germany & Japan in WWII.

I've studied Roman warfare a bit, they were incredibly organized and ingenious, the Romans would definitely leave their mark from the onset, and win in the end.

I tell you what would bring both modern forces to a standstill... One word... Resupply.

If you like the idea I'd suggest a book titled The Janissaries and its sequels. They are written by Jerry Pournelle. They touch on modern weapons vs ancient armies as well issues of resupply, the importance of tactics and the need for political victory.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I seem to remember reading a book about a guy that went back in time with a few friends and tried to influence the civil war. I particularly remember the part where Union troops were trying to storm a position held by a Mah Deuce...

"Guns of the South"? Picture of Robert E. Lee with an AK on the cover?

Fun read.

Plus, the whole concept of "we went back in time and CHANGED HISTORY!!!!" is even more utter bullshit than time travel itself.

If you went back in history and did something, whatever effect it had ALREADY HAPPENED. Marty McFly could not have erased himself,

if he had screwed up enough to make his mother want to bork him instead of his dad George, he never would have existed in the first place.

QED, he had nothing to worry about back in the 60s other than getting the DeLorean zapped with enough jiggawatts to get him back to the 80s.

• Like 1

Plus, the whole concept of "we went back in time and CHANGED HISTORY!!!!" is even more utter bullshit than time travel itself.

If you went back in history and did something, whatever effect it had ALREADY HAPPENED. Marty McFly could not have erased himself,

if he had screwed up enough to make his mother want to bork him instead of his dad George, he never would have existed in the first place.

QED, he had nothing to worry about back in the 60s other than getting the DeLorean zapped with enough jiggawatts to get him back to the 80s.

Well this is only a theory. Just different logic is all.

UNLESS the newer theory of the multiverse is correct. This is saying that with every action and decision you make that there is another reality where you make the opposite decision. So there theoretically speaking could be a infinite number of realities. So if you actually went back in time, changed something, the chances that you actually went into your realities past is VERY small.