Saiga 12 good Duck huntin gun?

I'm debating on buying a new shotgun. I'm looking for semi-auto and dependability. I have a S308 and I love it. Right now im using a Remington 870 and I love it but I'd love to go duck hunting this season and pull out of my bag a Saiga 12.

Are Saiga 12s a good duck and bird hunting gun?

Instead of the polychoke, go for the WinChoke/ Browning Invector adapter that Cobra sells, made by akbuilder .com Mine is great and it gives you more choices of choke type, and theoretically better performing patterns.

Most of the independent choke comparisons I have read ranked the poly-choke poorly when scientifically compared to chokes that had a forcing cone and return to parallel.

I dinked around around hunting with a 24" S12 for ducks, geese, and pheasants. IMHO a mag fed shotgun is not the best option.

Changing and loading your spare mag(s) is a PITA. You need both hands to load mags. This means that you have to use your sling and throw your gun over your shoulder. This puts you out of the game when you are walking, trying to fill your mags, and birds are still getting up. It is easier and faster to feed a tube.

For hunting waterfowl, where you are generally going to shoot and blow your concealment (thus, you will have time between sets) dealing with mag changes is not that big of a deal. I had plenty of time to dick with mags while the dogs were retreiving birds. Still, I found that a tube fed gun was less hassle.

In the end found that, for me, I was much better served with a Beretta Xtrema. YMMV.

BTW, S12 only come in 19" and 24". Any shotgun below 18" is going to be a SBS.

I dinked around around hunting with a 24" S12 for ducks, geese, and pheasants. IMHO a mag fed shotgun is not the best option.

Changing and loading your spare mag(s) is a PITA. You need both hands to load mags. This means that you have to use your sling and throw your gun over your shoulder. This puts you out of the game when you are walking, trying to fill your mags, and birds are still getting up. It is easier and faster to feed a tube.

For hunting waterfowl, where you are generally going to shoot and blow your concealment (thus, you will have time between sets) dealing with mag changes is not that big of a deal. I had plenty of time to dick with mags while the dogs were retreiving birds. Still, I found that a tube fed gun was less hassle.

In the end found that, for me, I was much better served with a Beretta Xtrema. YMMV.

BTW, S12 only come in 19" and 24". Any shotgun below 18" is going to be a SBS.

Don't forget the 22" models....

I'm debating on Gettin a benelli Nova and the Saiga 12. But the mag does seem like a pita. I'm looking for a not extremely expensive shotgun shooting 3 1/2". I was just thinking it would be awesome Shootin an AK platform killin ducks Hahah

I'm debating on Gettin a benelli Nova and the Saiga 12. But the mag does seem like a pita. I'm looking for a not extremely expensive shotgun shooting 3 1/2". I was just thinking it would be awesome Shootin an AK platform killin ducks Hahah

Yeah, the novelty wears off pretty quickly when guys with over/under are shooting the birds that you have to pass up because you're to busy stuffing shells in your mags. Also, answering all the, "WTF is that thing?" questions to all the fudds gets old too. IMHO, the 870 or Nova will serve you better than an S12 in this capacity. If you want to get serious about waterfowl, you will want to get into a gun with a 3.5" chamber.

If you feel the need to ABSOLUTELY stick with an Izhmash product... Check out the Baikal MP153's!!

They are a gas operated Semiautomatic shotgun that is chambered for 3.5"shells. They have removable chokes, and function very well, and the best part?!?!?! Probably would cost HALF what a NEW Saiga 12 would cost.

They come in CAMO and regular black synthetic... I personally own 2 of them. An example of them is below... and as mentioned... inexpensive. :up:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=260699159

Like I said... If you positively, absolutely, GOTTA stick with Izhmash... Thats your ticket!!! :up:

:smoke:

gunfun.im interested in the winchoke adapter you mentioned,how does it guarentee perfect bore and choke lineup?

It is just a tube that has two sets of threads on the internal diameter. One mathches the barrel, and the other matches the choke tube. I have heard that some S12 barrels have their external threads or bore off center. If the alignment is bad, it would be equally bad for the polychoke, factory chokes, SGM clones, or any other muzzle device.

here's the link. They are pretty simple.