AR safety selector retrofit kit

121 members have voted

1. 1. AR safety selector retrofit (utilizing standard selector)?

• Interested...
    • What's the point....

Anyone interested in an AR type safety selector on your saiga? It would be a retrofit and would utilize the existing safety selector, you just have to punch one hole in your receiver. I have a rough CAD model that works, and I could fabricate one relatively easily. I'd love one for myself, just wondering if there's an interest out there......

Edited by SICARIO-

or Galil style?

The general design is similar to the Galil design. I looked into buying the galil parts, but they're near impossible to find, or really expensive if you could find them.

Basically you'd punch a hole in the side of the receiver for the selector lever instead of grinding a slot in the bottom. Then there's a little linkage that attaches to the AK safety selector. I want to utilize the safety selector so you still have the dust cover functionality.

I got all of the kinematics worked out on my CAD program, now I'll do some real modeling with real dimensions and see what I can fabricate up. Thinking of a Battle Arms Development selector switch (I have a few levers left over from some kits I have).

Edited by SICARIO-

Anyone interested in an AR type safety selector on your saiga? It would be a retrofit and would utilize the existing safety selector, you just have to punch one hole in your receiver. I have a rough CAD model that works, and I could fabricate one relatively easily. I'd love one for myself, just wondering if there's an interest out there......

R&R Targets have been selling them and putting them on their race guns for years.

http://randrtargets.com/site/saiga-shotguns/saiga-parts/

• Like 1

The First question is why?

The Safety of the AK was designed to act as a dust cover and a safety.

These are Kalishnikov firearms not Stoner.

I do understand converting the Saigas and have done a standard conversion to all of mine but trying to make a fantastic weapon more like a AR dumbfounds me.

• Like 2
The First question is why?

Ummmm...because it is a superior design and much easier to use. When one uses their gun in a way that involves putting the safety on and off an AR safety is without question easier to manipulate. Not having to break a firing grip to engage the safety. Because if you shoot ARs (and a number of other guns) a lot it makes for a more consistentency between platforms. I get what you are saying about the dust cover. However, I do not believe it would be major concern. I've seen guns with slots cut down the other side for LH charging handles still run like a top.

These are Kalishnikov (sic) firearms not Stoner.

Keen observation (save they are actually Kalashnikov firearms). However, it is also not 1947 and perhaps there have been some good ideas for improvement in the last 70+ years. Kalashnikov didn't think to put a gas tube rail on his guns, let me tell you it is a serious improvement for a fighting gun and allows an aimpoint micro which is a serious improvement its self to the AK.

I can appreciate an AK for what it is, but to act as if the design cannot benefit from any changes is to be willfully naive. I'm open to arguments for or against given modification on the AK but to simply assert that Mikhail didn't design it that way or that it is more like an AR are not per se persuasive arguments IMHO.

• Like 1

R&R Targets have been selling them and putting them on their race guns for years.

http://randrtargets....ns/saiga-parts/

And the R&R Safety is Patent Pending.

• Like 1

http://randrtargets....ns/saiga-parts/

And the R&R Safety is Patent Pending.

not to worry. If I wanted one like yours, i would have bought one...

• Like 1

The extra linkage between the AR safety and the AK safety leads me think it would add more resistance and require more effort to engage/disengage. I'm not at all concerned if the dust cover moves with it, just if it engages/disengages the safety reliably.

I'm Interested for sure.The closer i can get my saiga felling like my AR, the better.Sorry all you AK etiquette nuts,guess i'm just proud to be american.

Price has to be right aswell!

It's not that, an easier to manipulate safety on any AK where you do not have to break your firing grip is good to go in my book. I think the dust cover is a minute thing to worry about. If this AR safety could be separate and just block the trigger from activating, I'd be game. If it still allowed the factory safety to function that would be cool too. (I like to use my notched safeties to hold the bolt back when I need to).

My order of concerns would be:

1. safe and reliable

2. Effort required to mover the safety. If it requires too great an effort then much of the value is negated for me.

3. movement of the original safety lever

If this AR safety could be separate and just block the trigger from activating

I'm not sure, because I've never seen good pics of one installed or what exactly it consists of, but my sense of things is that this is how the R&R safety works.

My order of concerns would be:

1. safe and reliable

2. Effort required to mover the safety. If it requires too great an effort then much of the value is negated for me.

3. movement of the original safety lever

If this AR safety could be separate and just block the trigger from activating

I'm not sure, because I've never seen good pics of one installed or what exactly it consists of, but my sense of things is that this is how the R&R safety works.

Right, the R&R safety works just like an AR safety, and you remove the AK selector all together. I just don't like the big gap in the dust cover that it leaves. Plus it seems like there's a bit of drilling and welding up old holes for it to look right.

Functionally, it probably works great, which would be perfect for a race gun.

I'm trying to come from the angle of a DIY'er, who would prefer keeping the original safety but has a nice ergonomic option on the left side.

As far as the effort goes, it will all depend on the lengths of the levers to get an easy manipulation. You might have to remove some of the detent on the AK selector so there's not as much resistance.

What I think will be most challenging is that most people who convert their guns use an ACE receiver block which takes up a bit of room on the inside. So there might have to be a little modification on the block. Too much modification, though, and it wouldn't be worth the effort.

I just bought a couple of these, to try and they are really good but now I am trying to figure out a way to remove or shrink down the factory factory handle.

p1main.jpg

I was looking at those too. The only thing I don't like about them is actuated in the opposite direction compared to an AR. I like the "push forward to disengage safety" vs. having to pull back. Other than that it's a great simple design.

Have you actually made/tried anything?

As far as a safety selector, I haven't made anything yet. Still working on a CAD model, playing around with the linkage lengths. I was just throwing the idea around last Friday, so I haven't given it a ton of thought.

I've made and tried many other things though....

Edited by SICARIO-