Interesting Day At the Range When Something Falls Off Your RIfle

So I need some help here.

I had fired about 80 rds through my converted Saiga when I'm handing it to my buddy to fire a mag and something falls off the rifle.

at first I thought the dust cover came off, but I pick a thin sheet of metal out of the mud and it is actually the (shroud?) piece of metal that goes on top of the Saiga gas tube.

um, this happen to anyone else? did the soldering just melt? time to order a new one?

Thanks!

Thats funny you mentioned that, i was just lookin at my tube the other day wondering "can I take this thing off?" I was going to start a thread, then I saw this one.

So this cover can be removed with a screw driver, or do I have to drill out the welds?

Is the finish the same underneath? If not, how bad is it?

Id love to know this stuff, Im glad someone asked.

Well thats a bummer, I dont want to rip it off if it looks like crap underneath. Thanks for the info.

I painted my PG area with Krylon High Temp Black spray paint. I'm pretty the area under the "shroud" on the gas tube would be pretty GTG after some of this paint. there are some crimped areas toward the front underneath the beauty piece. I'd say pop it off and if you like the look of it, just paint it. I would REALLY let the thing dry/cure before firing it, though. (DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure that's a good idea, but I'd do it myself if I cared to).

Well thats a bummer, I dont want to rip it off if it looks like crap underneath. Thanks for the info.

I painted my PG area with Krylon High Temp Black spray paint. I'm pretty the area under the "shroud" on the gas tube would be pretty GTG after some of this paint. there are some crimped areas toward the front underneath the beauty piece. I'd say pop it off and if you like the look of it, just paint it. I would REALLY let the thing dry/cure before firing it, though. (DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure that's a good idea, but I'd do it myself if I cared to).

I did too, and what better way to cure the paint than getting it shooting hot! That may cure it!lol

I may try to pop it off with a screwdriver.....but I want other options prior to doing so if that does not work.