1st 90 ROUNDS + Hats Off to Classic Arms

Got my Saiga AK47 2 weeks ago ... took me until the other day to get her into a 50yd indoor range. I didn't have much time so I didn't go shoot to set her up ... I just went to shoot to confirm it's A1 health.

I'm a 'stand up' shooter - not a bench bag guy and I use the iron sights , not a scope.

The groups with 7.62 x 39 Walmart ammo (Tulammo) were unexpected. I went in with 90 rounds just to run through each mag and get a feel for 'baby'.

From 50 yards, mag 1 hit 4" groups at a 2" bullseye - by maybe 3" to the left.

Mag 2 was making 3" groups about 1" left of bullseye.

3rd and final mag was dropping them into bullseye.

This kind of out of the box performance should make 'dialing her in' a breeze at the 100 yd range! Of course at my age, I WILL be wearing some kind of magnifying glasses for 100yds, as I'm very lucky to pull off these kinds of shots with just the iron sights.

I am very impressed by the 'out of box' build and performance of this Russian piece of architecture. I can hardly wait to find proper fitting genuine Russian furniture. Classic Arms picked me a great one!

Edited by bluezguy

I bought it converted. One of the guys at work bought the base $299.00 7.62 X 39 and pieced it together with tapco and various other parts. I don't have that kind of time in my life nor do I wanna dick around with fitment issues or anything else. So, I bought the 449.00 version - already converted. The only thing I added was a few more steel European surplus mags which fit and functioned right on!

Is there other stuff to be legally converted??

Yes. The rifle needs to be 922r complaint to legal with 30rnd mags. Do a search for 922r on google or look around here and see if you are complaint. The law is that the rifle can't have more than ten foriegn made parts. So US made parts have to be swapped out(tapco is us made)

Also good choice with the European steel mags. I got a bunch from AIM a while back and they a look and function great. Not bad for $8.something a pop.

Yes. The rifle needs to be 922r complaint to legal with 30rnd mags. Do a search for 922r on google or look around here and see if you are complaint. The law is that the rifle can't have more than ten foriegn made parts. So US made parts have to be swapped out(tapco is us made)

Also good choice with the European steel mags. I got a bunch from AIM a while back and they a look and function great. Not bad for $8.something a pop.

OK .. thanks for that info .. it looks like I better immerse myself in more study on this topic of 922r.

Since I purchased my Saiga AK already converted and legal from Classic Arms NC, it came with a TAPCO 30 round mag. It sounds like I need to know how many foreign parts are on my brand new beauty.

If I use one of my AIM surp metal mags in place of the US made TAPCO mag, and happens to make 11 foreign parts in the gun instead of 10, then, I'm breaking laws????