Shooting shotguns in an indoor range?

I would rather drive the extra 25 minutes. Shooting indoors is louder than shit but i suppose they make ear plugs for a reason lol. I prefer being outside.

There's an indoor range 10 minutes from my work so I have to find out if they allow people to shoot shotguns. Maybe a couple of quick lunch dates with my S12. It's more a convenience for me since I'm limited with family time.

I prefer outside as well but likely only on the weekends though.

I think everyone prefers outdoor ranges, but that isnt always possible when you live in a urban setting. I too have a indoor range just down the street from my office which makes it very convienient to get some range time in on a regular basis. Besides it being small and loud at times, it gives me a quick fix.

In my experiences in CA, people who generally go to indoor ranges are usually beginner to novice types who arent familiar with firearms at all. Most are renting guns at the counter and have never purchased their own firearm. All their knowledge comes from movies and tv which depict these weapons as "assault weapons" and they get the idea that these are illegal (especially here in CA). I always get a good crowd behind me when im shooting my ARs and my friends WASR, the other day I handed my AR off to an elderly woman who had a grin ear to ear after squeezing off a few rounds of 5.56, priceless!

BTW...defcon you from Calguns? Im on there and rimfire central, looks like we have the same taste in firearms!

Edited by SDRider
  • Like 1

They make a huge mess when shooting paper/cardboard with anything other than Buckshot or slugs. A local indoor range allowed them when they first opened up and it didn't take long for them to figure out that the mess outweighed the range fee. Sucks....

yea im on calguns, ar15.com, rimfire, customrifles.info

im in ventura county. at the moment im building a bunch of .22LR using airsoft shells.

Yea i have seen your work on those 22Lrs! Great work your doing with those. I actually went the easy route and put my 10/22 in a Archangel G36 kit.

I shoot at an indoor range 90% of the time only because I live in an urban environment and there are no outdoor ranges nearby. With earplugs it's fine. When I bring out the Saiga 12 there's almost always a reaction from other people in the range, 99% of the time it's a positive reaction. Yesterday a group of guys came over and asked a bunch of questions about it and I even let them all fire it. I'm always happy to get more people interested/involved in the Saiga 12.

A couple times/year I go to my brother's farm to shoot, which is much more fun than an indoor range. We shoot pumpkins, targets, clays, etc.. That beats paper targets any day.

Prior to the indoor range I go 30 minutes. But I prefer to spend 2 hours, that would reach the outdoor range.

During one training session I shoot 200-250 shots. If the indoor range, then there's just nothing to breathe :(

In winter, you shoot at outdoor range?

Prior to the indoor range I go 30 minutes. But I prefer to spend 2 hours, that would reach the outdoor range.

During one training session I shoot 200-250 shots. If the indoor range, then there's just nothing to breathe sad.png

You can in Los Angeles. hehe.

My local indoor range only allows slugs in shotguns. They say people are more likely to shoot up the range (not hitting the backstop, in other words) with shot. Given how much people seem to be able to shoot up the range with rifles and handguns, firing only one projectile per shot, I can't blame them.

During one training session I shoot 200-250 shots. If the indoor range, then there's just nothing to breathe sad.png

You can in Los Angeles. hehe.

To get to Los Angeles I need to cross the ocean ;)

The indoor range in my area allows to shoot shotguns with any type of ammo. People often ask me what the gun I am shooting. When I tell them it's a Russian Saiga shotgun they ask me why it looks like AK :) Once I was approached by a man who was there with his 17 year old sun and asked for a permission to take a photo of his sun with my S-12. The kid was very excited to get photographed with such a cool gun (that's what he said to me).

My local indoor range only allows slugs in shotguns. They say people are more likely to shoot up the range (not hitting the backstop, in other words) with shot. Given how much people seem to be able to shoot up the range with rifles and handguns, firing only one projectile per shot, I can't blame them.

This reminds me of the first time that I noticed how many holes are in the ceiling at the local indoor range. Scary....

• Like 1

The indoor range in my area allows to shoot shotguns with any type of ammo. People often ask me what the gun I am shooting. When I tell them it's a Russian Saiga shotgun they ask me why it looks like AK smile.png Once I was approached by a man who was there with his 17 year old sun and asked for a permission to take a photo of his sun with my S-12. The kid was very excited to get photographed with such a cool gun (that's what he said to me).

LOL, I had some out of town banger lookalike wanna b from 'da bronx yo' take pics with mine once, it was just too badass for him to get the shit eatin grin off his face, to show' his boys'

This reminds me of the first time that I noticed how many holes are in the ceiling at the local indoor range. Scary....

Which reminds me of the time I was standing in line to throw my first live hand grenade when I noticed that one of the concrete grenade pits that you stand in when you throw the grenade had lots of little craters on the inside. ...

Oh yeah, on topic, our local indoor range banned shotguns about a year or so. Too many idiots tearing up their target frames and stuff.

Edited by KevinInNM

I have never shot outside, as I live outside of Chicago. I'd love to tear up some pallets or pumpkins. Are there outdoor ranges nearby, say southern Wisconsin or Indiana? I am also a private pilot and was looking for day trip destinations within 150 miles or so of Chicagoland.

Buffalo Range Shooting Park is in Ottawa and has multiple outdoor ranges including the "Plinking Pit" The place isn't my favorite but you can take anything nonmetallic, non-glass and non-explosive targets and place them in the pit to shoot. Pricey though: $25/day.

Let me know if you're interested as I have a leftover stamped pass (5 stamps and you get a free range visit) with one hole that I could send you and then you'd be 20% of the way to a free range visit.

Wow I feel lucky. I can pretty much walk out my front door and across the street(yes it's paved) and shoot whatever I want

Man I envy you! If I were to walk outside with my saiga and just stand on my front lawn I would be arrested and have at least the saiga confiscated if not all my guns. Guess the second amendment is only a right if you live in the right place.....