Would you prefer 8 or 10 rnd mags?

Z1500:

I wish you all the best in your efforts to build mags for the Saiga-12, but I will remain skeptical until the product actually exists (as will many others here, I'm sure). Having done your homework on this forum, you understand why.

That said, I'd be interested in just about any mags you come up with, regardless of whether they're 8- or 10-rounders, waffle or ribbed, BHO follower or not. As long as they are functional, durable and reasonably priced, you won't have any problem selling your 1000+.

Finally, if I had to choose, I'd suggest you make 8-rounders. Not out of fear, but out of practicality. I recently obtained my first factory 8-rounder, and it's a monster. A 10-rounder would be even more ungainly, and wouldn't fit in any known mag pouch (a problem for competitive shooters). Not worth it for just a couple more rounds, IMHO. Better to make 8-rounders, and let Tony R. or some other enterprising soul come up with a "+" floorplate extension for those who want more capacity.

Again, good luck, and keep us posted!

Edited by shooter2
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point shooter2. That brings up another good point. It would be cool if this new mag design could be made with an identical floorplate to the Saiga factory mags. This way people who have ALREADY come up with a working floorplate extension could still sell their product for use in your mags as well as the factory mags and would not be blown out of the water with a mag that already holds 10 rounds. This is not a false hope. I have been testing a +2 rd extension for a month now with great results. That's all I can say for now as the maker wishes to remain anonymous untill his patent work goes through.

Just out of curiosity, how in the hell would you pull that off (a follower activated BHO)? I'm not the mechanical engineering genius that some people are, but I just don't see how that would easily work. I mean, the mag well is pretty far forward of the standard manual BHO, and barring some rather interesting (read: complicated) linkage that would need to be added to the gun, I just don't see it holding the bolt far enough back to make mag insertions any easier.

Now, if some genius/engineer comes out with something that drops into a standard mag and doesn't require rediculous amounts of modifications to the gun, I'll need atleast 4 made for the Saiga20 :smoke:

Rusty,

Apparently, some of the steel Yugo AK mags have been modified to hold the bolt open. Also:

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?...products_id=206

I also made this suggestion to Tony Rumore for his mag project, but haven't heard back.

I too would vote for an eight round mag, for practicality-sake.

1 - I'd like to be able to fit it in a pouch.

2 - Shooting from prone would be rough.

3 - Ten rounds is a lot of rocking and rolling. I'd be affraid that some makes of ammo might pre-maturely come open inside the mag.

Izhmash probably had a good reason for going with eight rounds. Also, if you can't solve your problems with eight 12 guage rounds, then God help you.

One more suggestion:

If it doesn't compromise strength, I'd like a CLEAR mag.

Here's hoping,

A|G

I would say 8 rounders. Let's keep this thing under a foot and a half long! Ten rounds belong in a dru... er, I mean NLFD..... :rolleyes:

And YES, I too would love to see a follower activated BHO, but (forgive me), it ain't gonna happen guys. There is just too much engineering that would have to go in to it, and that IMHO, opens the door for failure in the field. I'm not doubting that there is a way, I'm just doubting the reliability and longevity of such a thing.

I would agree with Cobra, match the factory floorplate and you would keep the door open for products that already (or may soon) exist.

Jeric

Can't write much as I'm heading for the airport.

Moore the merrier! Most of the guys wanting ultralong mags are competitors, as I believe it's cumbersome in a HD/SD setting. Guys who compete can occasionally be allowed to load up the mags (not always, aren't Uspsa open shotties limited to 10?) We can always download a mag. And we all have shorter mags in case we need to go prone/sideways/thru a port!

BTW, I think you just saved a couple of my 5 rounders from the bandsaw .... :)

I'm in for a few, might as well get the price break @ $120!

I like the 'tude! I like the foresightedness to know that other mag fed shotties are surely on the way. Get yours out there and well known enough and they'd be crazy not to look you up and design around your mag!

Way to stroke the check!

This way people who have ALREADY come up with a working floorplate extension could still sell their product for use in your mags as well as the factory mags and would not be blown out of the water with a mag that already holds 10 rounds. This is not a false hope. I have been testing a +2 rd extension for a month now with great results. That's all I can say for now as the maker wishes to remain anonymous untill his patent work goes through.

Are the 5rd and 8rd mag floor plates identical?

Will the +2 rd extension fit a 5rd mag?

I'm in for 6-9 mags. at least at the price of 3/$120. :super: :super:

I think the bottom line is, anyone that owns a Saiga and knows of this Forum would buy at least 1 magazine. See if you can't find the number of members on this site, and that will give you an idea of how many you can expect to sell. For everyone member that doesn't buy one, there'll be members that buy 3, 6, 9, or 20. If you get it done, and it works reliably, you'll make your money back in spades.

This way people who have ALREADY come up with a working floorplate extension could still sell their product for use in your mags as well as the factory mags and would not be blown out of the water with a mag that already holds 10 rounds. This is not a false hope. I have been testing a +2 rd extension for a month now with great results. That's all I can say for now as the maker wishes to remain anonymous untill his patent work goes through.

yes on both

yes on both

Let me ask you one question.....how are you going to produce the springs for these?

No clear. All the really strong plastics can't be clear. Sorry. I'll built a few clear ones to show how they stack up inside but not for actual use.

Springs will most likely be Wolff.

8 or 10 round is really a problem. Here's my though on it. I carry a Kimber Ultra Tactical. That's the super short grip frame 1911 from Kimber. I have a 7 rnd flush fit mag in the gun for CCW but out in my car I have a bunch of 10rnd mags that hang out the gun. Each mag serves it's purpose. When the gun is on me I want a concealable mag, if I have to fight my way back to my car I need maximum firepower. The Saiga is a big combersom weapon, an extra 1.5" of mag is going to make little to no difference.

BUT that being said I don't want to lose sales because the mag is just too big.

Kevin

I need a factory 8rnd mag ASAP. I only have 5rnd. I'll pay $110 for it and give the seller one of the first T&E freebies. $110 should cover a new replacement from Russia ( http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7237 ) but I need one like NOW. First person to post here and get it shipped ASAP wins. Just give me a paypal address.

Kevin

Edited by Z1500

If I had a choice to buy either a ten round or an 8 round mag for the same price I would choose the 10 simply because you get more bang for your buck. Also the 8 rdrs are already available if you can actually find one. Who knows maybe RAA or Tapco will have them soon. If they did become available I would still buy some tens from you just because I could and the price is better. I already have 5 rdrs and 8 rdrs. It would be cool to have some 10s also. Each mag serves a special purpous on down to the 2 rdrs. Hell look at those silly looking AK mags that are so long you have to clip the end on the muzzle just to support them. They are way too big and heavy to be useful when you could just pop in a drum but they still sell. Some people collect every different mag they can find that will fit their gun.

Anyway whichever you decide to make they will sell like hotcakes. Just please consider the floorplate issue because it would be beneficial to you and to others. Take a 10 rdr and pop in a 2 rd extension and bam! 12 rds! Those guys over in Finland ain't messing around. They're using 15-16 rdrs and quite effectively I might add.

Just my two cents. :smoke:

10 rounders.

Ribbed.

I never know what my cash flow will permit me to do from week to week, but you put them on the market for real & I'll pick one up here & there until I have 5 or 6 on hand.

BTW 10 rounders will give the 3-gunners the same # of rounds that the extended tubes have & help reduce the # of reloads thus speeding-up times. I don't think you'll have any trouble selling to them.

As for me I just want the extra rounds for hunting bunnies & tearing up targets. 10 rounds is just more fun!

I just didn't want to feel left out. 8's, 10's, whatever. Big F'ing mags with dicks 10 inches long. A bunch of them. :lolol: Just make sure that they're high quality before you release them so they don't get slammed and you end up with a large investment and no return. A lot of us are going to push you for them. NOW. But take your time,make um right. My gut instinct is that no one else is serious about mass producing Saiga 12 mags (but I'm not part of the industry so what the shit do I know except that quality will sell itself).

Enjoy the ride, Mark

Just out of curiosity, how in the hell would you pull that off (a follower activated BHO)?  I'm not the mechanical engineering genius that some people are, but I just don't see how that would easily work.  I mean, the mag well is pretty far forward of the standard manual BHO, and barring some rather interesting (read: complicated) linkage that would need to be added to the gun, I just don't see it holding the bolt far enough back to make mag insertions any easier.

Now, if some genius/engineer comes out with something that drops into a standard mag and doesn't require rediculous amounts of modifications to the gun, I'll need atleast 4 made for the Saiga20  :smoke:

Well, some Chinese AK magazines have a follower that has a tab that sticks up on it and holds the bolt back on the last round. I think they are for some special chinese gun, but they also work in a standard AK. I'm guessing that this could possibly work with a Saiga 12 mag, but as soon as you remove the mag the bolt will end up flying forward. So it's kinda pointless.

And personally, I'd actually prefer 8rd mags. More specifically exact duplicates of the standard saiga 12 8rd mags. Ishmash surely had to do a lot of bug testing on these mags, and reliability is the MOST important aspect of a mag. If it holds ten rounds, but jams (even occasionally) then the mags are worthless. In the time that it takes to clear a jam, you should be able to change a mag... maybe even more than once.

Also, you have to consider the stress that the extra added weight of a couple rounds will put on the front tab of the mag. If these mags aren't made with steel inserts for the front tab (like a standard 8rd mag) then there's a possibility that it will be too weak, and will snap if it caught on anything. 10rd mags could be too cumbersome, making it difficult to, place on your body (like pouches) change mags and move around with. I know that the Finnish members have made some seriously modified extended mags, and it sounded like they had to re-enforce parts of them, and their saiga's.

I guess I'm saying that I want reliability over novelty. And making exact duplicates of original 8rd mags would be the easiest solution.

Just my 2 cents.

A couple of dealers in my area insist that a shipment of Saigas will arrive sometime in Sept. They also say no high cap mags at least in this first shipment. ATF is giving the importer trouble. The guns are supposed to be only 20.00 or so more than the old price. Concerning the mag capacity, 8 or ten would be fine with me. I'm not sure if the high caps can take both 2 and 3/4" and 3" shells. This may be a consideration. High cap owners: Whats your experience? I heard the Saiga 20 has different mags for the two different lenghts. You might also consider making high cap 308 mags, a lot of us would like to have some of those. It seems none were made by the factory. Thanks for starting the project. You will get support from the people here.

20ga mags maybe if the 12's go well.

The mags will be made exactly the same as factory, 'maybe' plus 1.5". Reliability and durability will be 100% before they go up for sale. I'll have some sort of warranty to assure this.

Kevin