Would you prefer 8 or 10 rnd mags?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the 8 rounder. I'm learning a lot about why IZHMASH can't produce these fast enough. The molds they are working off of are crap, and the mags seem to need a lot of hand finnishing. Should be no problem at all to make much much better mags than these.

Kevin

Look at this in a business sense.

Izhmash/Saiga already makes an 8 rd mag that is reliable.

If these are ever imported here legally and in a large quantity Z1500 made 8 rd mags would be competing with Izhmash/Saiga.

10 rd mags are a good business decision because nobody else makes them.

After making 10 rd mags and being successful,re-evaluate the market to see what others are doing. Then possibly make the 8 rd mags.

Brilliant foresight, good thinking.

About a month ago Acca 47 posted that it takes the Izhmash assemblers a long time to assemble a Saiga mag. Made me wonder why it took so long to put 5 parts together. At home its a snap. I do see file marks in several places and the front parting line is not very straight.(probably were the resin enters the mag cavity)

Oh we forgot to tell you Z1500

WATCH OUT WHEN YOU TAKE THE SPRING OUT!!!!!!!

It's been a dangerous weapon by itself,we've been told.

Edited by acetomatoco

well, i'm still in for 10 of whatever. i think i'd prefer 8rders just cuz of the length but, gosh, i guess i'll just have to suck it up and deal with 10 if that's what the final decision is! :lolol:

i don't see a need for a mag bho. what's the purpose? it sure ain't to change mags cuz as soon as you drop the empty the bolt will go fwd.

good luck and godspeed on this project!

I think I can have them done ready to ship in 12 weeks. That's giving a little room for people to take a little longer than what they've quoted me. The CAD work is my biggest worry right now. Springs and feed lips will be done the soonest in about 4 weeks.

Kevin

Ah.......I wish i had an S-12, never did get a chance.

I know its not likely, but is there any chance you WILL possibly make some 20/.410 magazines?

It quite impressive what your doing, I myself have been following the magazine threads just to see whats going on, not a bad round this one.

I hope your magazines sell well :)

Edited by Hutch

My vote goes for the 10 rounders,im in for 1-3 depending on price and quality.I got all jacked from the other makers promises,so dont make me come over there and slap ya! :haha: just kiddin. :angel: Just be honest,it goes a long way.

Edited by Pointer

Did you ever think of checking out these guys: www.alumilite.com ?

Looks like you can make a fast mold of the originals with this stuff. For almost all of the parts of the magazine you would be making a mold just as it's shown on this page: http://www.alumilite.com/howto.cfm?ID=6

Edited by Mudsock
Did you ever think of checking out these guys:  www.alumilite.com ?

Looks like you can make a fast mold of the originals with this stuff.  For almost all  of the parts of the magazine you would be making a mold just as it's shown on this page:  http://www.alumilite.com/howto.cfm?ID=6

That looks kinda cool.

I seriously doubt it would be suitable for large scale production, though, as the mold materials in question are primarily silicone????

You make a good point. I guess though once you have created a perfect copy of the original you can make multiple negatives out of it with tool grade epoxy.?

At any rate, members can make wood prototypes of say butt-stocks, pica-tinny handguards, top tube guards, pica-tinny top rail systems, whatever then cast plastic copies of them. Using the clay you can make waffle patterns or a Made in the USA imprint on your inventions.

Someone added an extra tab to an AK type lower hand guard to allow you to mount it in the original lower screw hole on the Saiga-12. It would be cool to see a couple of black plastic AK type Saiga hand guards floating around. Wood is nice but I like my black gun. I would abuse the hell out of wood. Someone might be able to make a SWAT looking S-12.

I've seen many good ideas that members have thought of and this might help get these part to other members easily.

Didn't mean to get off of the topic but thought this was valuable.

Edited by Mudsock

Put me in for 4. My preference is 8rounds just because I think 10 is just that much more room and time to get them working. If you think about it, a 3rounder is simple to get working, could use a straight mag, 5 is not hard, 8 seems to be more difficult getting a spring to work, and getting 3" metal case shells I found they tend to hang up on sharp edges of shells. 10 sounds difficult.

good luck to you, and thanks for all the good communication on this so far.

It all sound SOOOO GOOD!!!!!!

But by all means please dont stop w/just S12 mags, I could use about 5 ten rounders for my 410.

What the hay, since 410s are so small lets go for 12 or 13 rounds or more!!!! OH man, Ihave to go to the bath room and have some quiet time just thinkin bout it!!!

I own S-12s, but if he made .410 and 20 gauge high cap mags, I would call my distributers and order both rifles tomorrow. I would be pumped to start converting

more saigas. But lets come back down to earth, and see what happens with the 12s. Ever since I sighned up I've heard people talking about producing 8 round mags, but this guy sounds serious. Hell, Cobra 76 sacrificed a mag, it better be for real! :devil:

I own a 20ga Saiga also, so that one would be next. But that is really only if the 12's turn enough profit to justify it. The next month is going to be very boring cause I wont have any cool updates. But starting in about a month I'll post pics of parts getting completed. Screen shots of CAD solid model cutaway views. Pics of the molds being machined.

Kevin

10 rounds sounds good to me, if I need to shoot prone or whatever I will use 5's. Don't really care how the outside looks as long as it works.

And I am sure a lot of us will buy 3 at a time more than once. That's would be my plan.

Agreed Funtionality and durability are the keys here.

Preferences after that?

10 rnd

Flat side (stock look)

Good luck to you and hope you make a million :)

Edited by M15A4spr
My opinion on the mags?

BOLT

HOLD

OPEN

FOLLOWER

PLEASE!

A|G

I want about five mags. But. . .

A bolt hold open follower is pretty useless unless it activates something in the gun, as in an AR. People have made BHO followers for 7.62 AKs. They are a handjob (or not even) because as soon as you pull the mag, the bolt closes, which in the case of Saiga 12, is the whole point of a BHO: it needs to kep the bolt open AFTER mag removal, otherwise it's useless as tits on a boar.

Now, if you modded the mag so that it activated a standard Saiga BHO, or some other INTERNAL BHO, then you'd have something. Otherwise, you are wasting time and money building and buying a mag with no more than a follower BHO. Save the time and money. Forget the BHO in the follower if that is all it does.

Edited by inparidel
My opinion on the mags?

BOLT

HOLD

OPEN

FOLLOWER

PLEASE!

A|G

A bolt hold open follower is pretty useless unless it activates something in the gun, as in an AR. People have made BHO followers for 7.62 AKs. They are a handjob (or not even) because as soon as you pull the mag, the bolt closes, which in the case of Saiga 12, is the whole point of a BHO: it needs to kep the bolt open AFTER mag removal, otherwise it's useless as tits on a boar.

Now, if you modded the mag so that it activated a standard Saiga BHO, or some other INTERNAL BHO, then you'd have something. Otherwise, you are wasting time and money building and buying a mag with no more than a follower BHO. Save the time and money. Forget the BHO in the follower if that is all it does.

agree 100%

My opinion on the mags?

BOLT

HOLD

OPEN

FOLLOWER

PLEASE!

A|G

agree 100%

I agree 90%. Here's why. BHO would allow you to flick up a notched safety lever with your trigger finger as you are reaching for a mag. Add an extended mag release and you could then release the old mag as you are bringing the fresh mag up for insertion. Then drop the safety lever and your done.

Having typed all this, I think the mags can be finicky enough where it's not worth compromising the reliability. IOW, if someone said they had a stone cold reliable version, I'd pay a decent premium for the bho. But I doubt that's gonna happen.