Norinco MAK-91

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. Been shopping for an AK for about a year now, decided I'd try to sell a few guns last month to buy a Draco, and a guy offered me a trade for a milled National Match MAK-91. I hadn't even heard of them, just the MAK-90, but of course a quick googling had me sold. Traded a Marlin 30-30 and an 870 12-gauge plus about 100 shells for the thing, straight up. I can't believe the deal I got. Have yet to shoot it, I just keep fondling it. The original furniture's been worked on a bit, and to cover up a fixed crack in the buttstock the previous owner sprayed all three pieces a texturized OD green. Had a replacement butt stock and lower handguard on it when I got it, so I made it uniform tonight. Good practice taking the gun apart to get the lower handguard off. So, here it is as it was and as it is now [cell phone pics, might borrow the wife's camera for better photos soon].

post-37379-0-05503000-1321325394_thumb.jpg

post-37379-0-66497200-1321325399_thumb.jpg

post-37379-0-57772200-1321325405_thumb.jpg

Depending on the price, get it. MAK91s are a great bargain in a milled rifle. Made in the same factories as the legendary Polytechs, just marketed under a different name. Unfortunately those thumb stocks suck and frequently crack. You should plan to replace with an Ironwood.

Edited by rob-cubed

Thanks guys. I'll hit up Ironwood once I have the extra cash - if I can't afford surplus ammo, I can't afford a deban haha

When I get around to it, I'm thinking of a replacement stock, pistol grip, and handguards from Ironwood, then mag floorplate and follower, then threading the muzzle for a US 74 brake. Am I correct in my 922r counting here? I'd like to keep the original FCG and I'm pretty sure this would keep me compliant.

I agree with the other two, you rifle needs some better furniture. It can wait, and you got a hell of a deal, I'm in a similar situation with a SLR-95, i don't have the dough to get it un-neutered until I sell my browing hi-power.

Iron wood is definitely the way to go if you want the furinture to count towards compliance.

Please keep us posted with pics if you de-ban it