S12 FCGS (a definitive thread)

Im still trying to figure out what the heck I am looking for in a conversion, and theres no real all encompassing FCG topic/comparison.

What are the benefits, advantages, disadvantages etc to your favorite? What is it you are looking for in feel, performance, and function when you are choosing your FCG?

I tried to start a poll, but something got lost and it didn't come out, so I'll post the FCG's I've been able to find on the interweb:

Factory FCG

Tromix Modified G2 Single Hook Trigger Kit

TAPCO Double Hook G2 FCG

TAPCO Single Hook G2 FCG

Arsenal single stage trigger kit

Arsenal double stage trigger kit

R & R Trigger, Hammer Kit

Texas AK Double Hook Trigger Kit

TAC-47 Modified G2 Single Hook Trigger Kit

Red Star Arms Adjustable Trigger Kit

It's future state.

I have the RSA. advantages- you can have a superior quality short crisp light trigger pull without a bunch of welding filing and refitting. Easy pretravel and post travel adjustments.

It can be set to single stage or double stage. Disadvantages? Price, theoretically set screws could move, slightly less simple than a drop in trigger with no adjustments.

I also have a Tapco G2 Double hook: doesn't fit in s12 without either modifying several surfaces of the trigger, or cutting another notch in the gun. Advantage. Popular, cheap, easy to modify, and can be modified to work as an over travel limited trigger with careful guess and check fitting.

Sorry to ask but inquisitive folks wanna know -- what is so definitive about this thread?????

like Gunfun said, the future state of this thread. in my search both here and on the interweb, theres no encompassing FCG thread that people can debate, advocate or question the various aspects of the many FCGs available for a converted S12. hopefully this thread can develop into one that covers those bases, and can be used as a reference for new S12 owners looking for a conversion or established S12 users looking to help out or discuss their experiences with the various FCG's.

I prefer the standard Tapco G2 Doublehook. I like to do my own FCG mod/trigger job.

Ditto that, although currently I just run a single hook on the 12. My thoughts on a shotgun is that I don't need a match grade trigger but I might experiment eventually. All the rifles I do have Tapco G2 doubles set to limit over travel. The way I look at it, buy the least expensive (quality) assembly and modify it to your liking. After I did a couple of double hooks set to limit over travel I can do the mod in about 10 minutes. Very easy and rewarding. I learned that procedure here on the forum and it makes for a very nice inexpensive trigger. I also saw the thread on pre-travel adjustment here and will try that too. Add a bit of polishing and you're good to go.

Admittedly, I haven't tried Red Star,Texas AK, or any of the other triggers, but with the results I'm getting I doubt I'll ever see the need to. I enjoy working on Saigas almost as much as shooting them, so I'm happy.

I prefer the standard Tapco G2 Doublehook. I like to do my own FCG mod/trigger job.

Ditto that, although currently I just run a single hook on the 12. My thoughts on a shotgun is that I don't need a match grade trigger but I might experiment eventually. All the rifles I do have Tapco G2 doubles set to limit over travel. The way I look at it, buy the least expensive (quality) assembly and modify it to your liking. After I did a couple of double hooks set to limit over travel I can do the mod in about 10 minutes. Very easy and rewarding. I learned that procedure here on the forum and it makes for a very nice inexpensive trigger. I also saw the thread on pre-travel adjustment here and will try that too. Add a bit of polishing and you're good to go.

Admittedly, I haven't tried Red Star,Texas AK, or any of the other triggers, but with the results I'm getting I doubt I'll ever see the need to. I enjoy working on Saigas almost as much as shooting them, so I'm happy.

I take a little metal here and there, add a little here and there. I like them scary-short and stupid-light. I have gotten quite good at it.... and in typical evlblkwpnz fashion, I use the factory hammer spring and original Tapco disconnector spring. No voodoo here....

I take a little metal here and there, add a little here and there. I like them scary-short and stupid-light. I have gotten quite good at it.... and in typical evlblkwpnz fashion, I use the factory hammer spring and original Tapco disconnector spring. No voodoo here....

You're more advanced than me as I don't add metal other than on the rear leg to snug up the safety on the 308. I do play with the hammer a bit but remove metal only. Also, I wasn't going to admit it out of concern for being ridiculed, but instead of a spring or washer to eliminate side play on the 308 I used a sleeve on the axis pin. That's not a problem in and of itself but I didn't have any metal around so I used nylon tubing. I'm keeping an eye on it of course and so far, so good.