Is the saiga not a good candidate?

There are alot of 223 SBR's out there and any vendor here can make one for you but the cheapest route like you said is the Draco and if you look there is a Draco .223 it is a little hard to find sometimes but it is out there.

This is a pic of one I found on the site.

post-21226-0-57097800-1321720897_thumb.jpg

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

I am thinking of getting into an SBR. I have a saiga. 223 and I want to SBR it but I do not see many saiga SBR's. Is the saiga for some reason not a good candidate to SBR? I know the Draco route is the easiest but I want a .223.

Thanx,

Wolfhound

Well here is the issue. Does a Saiga make a good SBR? Sure, but in the end what is it worth. If you are going to the time and expense of making an SBR wouldn't you want it to be worth something when your done? If so don't SBR a Saiga rifle. Prime example. What is a Saiga 5.45x39 worth after you convert it to a 74 clone? You would be lucky to get the cost of the parts and gun back if you sold it. Now price a Arsenal SGL-31 or a Bulgy SLR105, they both hold their value very well in some cases are worth more than when they were new. If you are going to keep the gun then don't worry about resale, after playing this NFA game for a while you tastes and needs will change. Don't get stuck with a SBR that no one will pay you for. My opinion buy a Tula krink in 5.45x39 or SLR-106ur if you want to shoot .223, both will hold their value.

I have a Red Jacket ZK-MR SBR in 7.62x39 and love it. I'd do some research on ballistics VS barrel length before you go chopping anything down.

1) Cutting down the barrel on a 5.56x45/.223 REALLY hurts your ballistics.

2) Cutting down the barrel on a 7.62x39 even by more than half the overall length barely makes any difference in ballistics.

Hope this helps,

MCASSgt New River

Yup. I talked to a couple guys who have a 7.5" AR (Noveske Diplomat) at a class recently. It's a fine gun in close (like in a house), but at 150 yards they said it's about out of juice. But it looks cool and fun, and I'm probably going to eventually buy one as my registered SBR receiver.