am i the most redneck of all? guess where i did my conversion riveting

i dont have a air compressor at the house. i usually use my dealers or my father in laws. well my dealer had food poisoning so i couldnt use his. i had my rivet gun with, and everything i needed. i had bought an air tank from a pawn shop, and had wanted to see if it would have enough pressure to run the rivet gun. so i pumped the tank up to 80 lbs and away i went....worked good!!!

IMG_20111117_135013.jpg

IMG_20111117_135008.jpg

anyone have a better story?

• Like 1

I took my receiver to my auto mechanic, and he had his bodywork guy fill in the FCG holes with weld. He clamped a penny inside the receiver and went to town. 032.gif

I didn't manage to stop him before he busted out with the rotary sander and knocked the welds down even with the sides of the receiver, and knocked the finish right off, too. oops.gif

I didn't manage to stop him before he busted out with the rotary sander and knocked the welds down even with the sides of the receiver, and knocked the finish right off, too. oops.gif

Uh thats what paints for. Id call sanding it all down smooth for you a plus.

• Like 3

ya in the future i think i am gonna weld em... or maybe just grind the rivets down most of the way, they are pretty tall rivets. i did rivet teh trigger guard and the safety stop as well though....

sorry for the vertigo, lol. i was in a rush.... cops didnt show up though, so that was good.

Being stingy also played a big factor in this conversion. I guess the ultimate magyver conversion would be if ya literally hammered the rivets in blacksmith style...

Here is what she looks like now.... nothin special. Not sure how well it will ccycle, seems a lil rough in my patented manual cycling test.

IMG_20111121_024022.jpg

I always pound the rivets by hand! Homemade bucks and rivet sets are a lot cheaper!

Edit to add: Does using nails for rivets get me another stamp on my redneck card?

Edited by G O B

Parts counts be damned....

I did grind a bit off my Tapco hammer that went in my 7.62x39 while it was in the gun, at the range. Luckily it was the middle of the day and nobody else was there to witness it or they would of thought I was trying to get my evil AK to do things it wasn't supposed to