Saiga 223 piston replacement?

Dinzag arms lists that all Saiga rifles use 74 length pistons. I was unhappy with the G2 because it had a 1mm tall casting line on all contact surfaces that I had to actually file down prior to polishing. They are really really poor castings. My Arsenal trigger group that I put in my other rifle only needed light polishing to get a super trigger pull. The quality of the Arsenal product was 200X better than the Tapco and at the time I got them they were the same price. I just ordered my pistons from CNC Warrior, he makes good stuff and I expect the pistons to be just as good as any others.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I phrased this poorly. I've not had any problems with any Tapco products. I've steered clear of those with bad reputations like their side-folding stocks, plastic sight adjusters and handguards with scope mounts, but the single- and double-hook triggers I've used have been smooth and safe. Their plastic furniture and magazines are typically chunky and ugly but functional enough for most purposes.

Edited by DrThunder88

... I was appalled at the poor quality of my G2 trigger group, ...

Just curious, what was the problem with the G2 trigger group?

Their triggers groups and retainer plates have sometimes been found to be out of spec. Also, the G2 is prone to unintentional bumpfire. That never happens with my RSA trigger.

Jim Digriz and derweibhai, thanks for the information, it is good to know. Fortunately, I have yet to have any problems with the retainer plates or unintentional bumpfires in my Saiga rifles with Tapco trigger groups. However, I did have a Century WASR-10 that did have the issue regarding unintentional bump firing, and I do believe it had a Tapco trigger group in it.

Edited by TJohn

Their triggers groups and retainer plates have sometimes been found to be out of spec. Also, the G2 is prone to unintentional bumpfire. That never happens with my RSA trigger.

Are these type problems recent or are they more remote, just wondering if perhaps Tapco has improved quality control, some or none?

whats funny is this thread started on a piston question and now its all about the FCGs 021.gif

i have one of the stainless tapco pistons in my 7.62. very good piece. has resisted corrosion better than the factory piston in my 223.

These are some of the problems with "americanized" weapons of the last 15yrs. The gooberment makes an unconstitutional law and instead of fighting it a company rushes in with a "fix" that is usually poor quality and not well thought out. Not all mind you but I've seen it more times than I'd like to admit. FCGs, barrels, receivers, etc. John Moses is rolling over in his grave . . .

Slugger