Torn between which furniture

Furniture?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

It depends, my S-12 I use for hunting is being done in wood my tactical S-12 in ploy and a metal sidefolder. But if I could only have 1 it would be wood grip and forearm and a metal sidefolder. I know this didn't help so all I can tell you is buy 2 S-12 and do one in each or at the very least have two sets of furniture. Sorry this probaly only confused you more.big_smile.gif

EDIT: I see you added the second pic after I posted "have two sets of furniture" since you have both, Whats the problem???

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

Of those two, definately the wood. Honestly, poly stocks will be less likely to be babied by you, but thats because they don't look as good. Poly is lighter. Wood is prettiermore traditional looking.

Sorry Shultze, had to do some resizing on the second picture to fit.

I like the traditional wood look for obvious reasons, but I like the durability and more tactical look in black. Was hoping for a land slide poll to help influence me.

Um, I voted wood, but don't get it. I got wood for both of mine, although I would be happier if my guns stood out from the crowd.

Have you considered a tapco sidefolder? My gun would look really good next to that.

Seriously though, if you are going to go to all the trouble and expense to make it accept the upper hand guard, plastic would feel like a sad place to stop.

If you aren't going to do the upper hand guard, and you like them both about the same, fitting the plastic LHG has got to be easier, and stronger. With my Bulgy wood, the sides were fairly thin after I removed enough material to clear the s-12 barrel. It is solid enough, but it wouldn't have taken much of a slip to ruin the whole thing.

Wood for the long barred guns, polymer for short barrels and rails. JMHO

+1

A long barreled gun makes a great hunting platform, and it just makes sense to keep it traditional with the wood furniture. Whereas a shorter barreled gun just looks better when it is as evil looking as possible, IMHO.

• Like 2

My plan was the black synthetic. In fact I have a complete set sitting right here waiting for a Saiga 12. But after seeing that wood... man... I dunno. My 7.62 AK is a red wood. And I think I prefer the wood no matter what as far as looks go. But the poly is less muss and fuss. No worries about dinging a stock set you put hours and hours into. Nothing to scratch, or worry about rubbing on your gear etc. The poly is a lot more carefree. And the utility of that puts the missing looks points back in poly's corner.

Tough choice!

• 2 months later...

WOOD!

Little sumthin' I"ve been working on......

Needs a little more machining on the handguard retainer and about 10 more coats of tung oil....but the RED is amazing, pics don't capture it's depth.

post-32211-0-55087700-1330047317.jpg

post-32211-0-50510300-1330047328_thumb.jpg

post-32211-0-09042800-1330047348_thumb.jpg

Edited by armory
  • Like 3

Call me crazy, but I want to put some gorgeous wood on the evlblk-box-o-parts S12 and raise hell with it until the handguard catches fire.

The factory handguards start melting after about 150 rounds of rapid fire. I'd just like to see what it would take to catch some pretty wood on fire.

A test, if you will....

triangle folder and wood, that would make me cream my pants

That would look nice wouldn't it.... hmmm.

I just did another AK100 triangle conversion and 18 1/4" barrel reduction (from 24"). I have a factory handguard and a MOLOT grip on it, but some wood on it would be gorgeous. Maybe even a cream soda looking finish. I've never seen that before.

I will give you full credit for it if I do it. I might call it the evlcreamypants build ;)

On my S12, it will have a 100 series poly folder and a wood forearm. Same with my SGL21-94, poly folder, akm wood handguards. I like the poly and wood look myself. I plan to do the poly wood scheme on all my ak's. Sorry no pics to show how awesome at the moment. But will update asap. I have no need for tactical rails and such. Can attach a rail if needed. I dont use my Saigas for HD as I dont want any of them taken for investigation if ever used in a situation like that.