Barrel cutting & import marks

Anyone know definitively whether cutting a 22" S-308 barrel to 18.5" where such alteration removes part of the importer mark (stamped on the barrel) creates a legal problem? By my calculation, the majority of the words "Russian American" would be lost by shortening the barrel as described.

If that's the case, guess I'll keep the barrel as is.

Anyone know definitively whether cutting a 22" S-308 barrel to 18.5" where such alteration removes part of the importer mark (stamped on the barrel) creates a legal problem? By my calculation, the majority of the words "Russian American" would be lost by shortening the barrel as described.

If that's the case, guess I'll keep the barrel as is.

Are you in the U.S.? If so, I've never seen the import marks anywhere other than on the receiver for this brand of firearm.

Are you in the U.S.? If so, I've never seen the import marks anywhere other than on the receiver for this brand of firearm.

Yep. Right side of receiver's markerd "SAIGA -308-1" in both English and Cyrillic, left side of receiver marked "Made in Russia by Izhmash" with an '04 proof mark, and left side of barrel marked "RUSSIAN AMERICAN ARMORY COMPANY SCOTTSBURG, IN" - cutting the barrel will take out the "RUSSIAN AMERICAN ARM" part of the import mark, and threading the barrel will obliterate the "ORY" remaining in "Armory," leaving "COMPANY SCOTTSBURG, IN" as the only remaining part of the import mark.

I have to ask, Why cut the barrel?

I know to make it shorter, but why?

I have a 22" M14 clone, and an M1A Scout with an 18" barrel. For the type of shooting I expect of these rifles, I prefer the Scout.

From what I've read, the Saiga doesn't lose accuracy in an 18" barrel compared to the factory 22" - some even claim improved accuracy due to less "barrel whip." I don't care for the added muzzle blast of a 16" tube, which many say is plenty accurate - so I bought this rifle with every intent of making an 18.5" rifle. Stiffer, more manueverable barrel, more complete powder burn, not quite as much concussion, and I can quickly differentiate it from my standard length AK's. (Less chance of grabbing the wrong rifle / ammo / mag combo when heading for the range.)

My understanding is that the importer marks don't matter, just like the sporter stocks, they exist for importation.. However I'd say that cutting the barrel is not a huge return for the effort.

If I could find someone that makes a Yugo M76 stock set for stamped receivers, I'd think real hard about leaving the barrel length as is. I love the looks of the M76, but have no desire to get into 8mm now - or spend the dough for a real M76 in .308.