Setting 2 to fire high brass

Was shooting my s12 this evening and I was trying to run low brass universal on setting 2 well it would not function (not shocked there). I got my high brass out put on setting 1 would not function put to setting 2 functions perfect. These are older re loads so unsure on quality/age should I worry about my s12 being under gassed or go buy new high brass and try it out?

How many rounds have you run in it?

It took about 80 low brass wally world ammo for mine to start working right.

Buy 100 rounds low brass, set it on "2", shoot till you have some idear if it will come to ya.

Hand cycle it ALOT!! then field strip it and you should be able to see the friction points. Take some fine grit sandpaper and smooth down the bolt , bolt carrier and hammer face. Then get some polish and go to town on the places you smoothed with sandpaper. This will help the action to work easier. This may help you to shoot low brass.

Try a CSS puck, but don't start swapping out springs. A friend of mine has some S12s that run pretty good and they all have factory springs. He does a lot of work to them though. Friction reduction and gas work.

Really, that thing probably needs 'smithing. I would guess, from your claims, that theres is something wrong with it, be it too little port surface area, bad machining the the lock up area, or something else. If getting these things running was as simple as beating it into submission with some buckshot, who would send anything out for work? Who would ship their weapon out and pay ~$300 for a reliability service? There would be no Saiga'smiths or people that specialize in working on the internals. What is buckshot going to do that violently hand-cycling the weapon will not do, other than emptying your wallet? Think about this with a little logic applied.

If you are good with your hands, you would be better served doing some research and spending your money on the following....

Dremel

Sanding drums for Dremel

Polishing pads for Dremel

Polishing compound

Hobby files

400 grit sandpaper

Dewalt Cobalt drill bits

Edited by evlblkwpnz

That is good news, the goal is to be able to feed it cheap bulk pack reliably.(Federal, Remmington) That way you can have a good time shooting and it won't cost too much. The gun is designed to shoot bigger loads like the 00buck, that is what is really important. It sounds like you got her doing that. All of the above advice is is good advice.(check ports, polish)

Enjoy.

100 rounds of federal #2 hv steel shot now with Winchester universal it tried to eject but stove pipes makin progress cross your fingers for me....

I know y'all say fed bulk pack tends to work better but I just have so many Winchester rounds already so yeah....

Edited by wolf88