Well this build got out of hand real quick!

So as usual I started out with the good intentions of doing something a little different but simple. Well things went real wrong somewhere and the results are as follows.

Started with a run of the mill 7.62... Can't have that... so I decided to go with the conversion... Simple enough... Well that is when things got a little out of hand.

MAA shipped me over the stock 7.62 and the G2 trigger. Well we all know that the G2 trigger can be improved with a little polish. Figured while I was there might as well do the access pins.

Saiga762TriggerMods002.jpg

Well that is simple enough

When ordering the 7.62 I figured I would get an MAA stock to go with it but decided to make my own adaptor.

Saiga762x39build005.jpg

Saiga762x39build010.jpg

Since I was happy with the results I decided that what I needed to do now was shave the rivets.

Saiga762Rivetmod006.jpg

Saiga762Rivetmod008.jpg

Well that was just too much fun. I also decided to remove the side mount later.

Since I was now on a roll I figured that the trigger guard might as well be custom as well.

Saiga762TriggerMods008.jpg

And the safety should not be left alone either. Punched it full of holes and added to the thumb release.

762Saftey001.jpg

I like the upswept charging handle as well but wanted a little something different now I will be able to tell the 7.62 from the 5.45.

UpsweptChargehandle762003.jpg

Called Cobra76two and got one of this gas tube covers... why not?. While I was at it I decided to fab up one of my custom handguards.

762003.jpg

Yes, I know the front sight looks funny... That is because I had to weld it to the gas block after threading the barrel for the new brake with the tools I got from Brian @ Dinzag.

762002.jpg

Needless to say I could not resist modifying the brake as well.

Then the sights... and rail cover

762005.jpg

Now that I was a little stuck for sights but knew that I wanted to run a red dot I decided not to leave the trunion alone and fabbed up a block and welded it in where the rear sight usually sits. I got a cheap airsoft front sight and modified it to work as a rear sight and it all co- whitnesses with thet j-point. Cover is just drilled and countersunk then the screws welded once tightened. Not great but it is a rail on a stock cover after all and a buis at that.

The end result looks like this...

762001.jpg

It also shoots pretty well

This is 10 rounds rapid / sustained fire, off hand @ 25yd using cheap mil surp ammo, out of the box bore scoped at the shop and taken to the range.

1strun.jpg

should make a pretty good pin gun.

All that is left is to tweek a few things and get it to powder for Military OD Green and black

PowderColumbiaCoatings.jpg

I am also leaning towards a jungle tiger stripe as well. But will probably hold off for the next one on that.

HPS-245.jpg

Really need to thank the following for taking time out of their busy scheduals to humor my indulgances

MAA: for excellent customer service great pricing and parts

Dinzag: Brian for help with the tools to mount the brake and some tips and the much needed bullet guide.

Tony @ Tromix: for some tips on filling the rivets, something I probably would not have attempted with out his guidance.

Cobra76Two for the gas tube cover, some tips and keeping it going when I was not 100% sure how far I should go.

My buddy Dan who will be doing the powder coat.

I will post pics of the finished gun in a couple weeks after I get done playing with it.

Edited by jaymce
  • Like 1

Wow! Between the virtual keyboard and the frickin' autocorrect on this ipad, my english has really gone to shit. LOL!

Yeah, life is good. Still enjoying your handguard:-). Enjoying fall for all it is. I got the bike jacked up and was thinking of you the other day. I need to drill out the bolt I stripped and send you the brake linkage for shortening. I'm chopping the rear fender and fender struts. Going from this...

6bc9a5ae.jpg

To something short like this...

1f25aa30.jpg

Wow! Between the virtual keyboard and the frickin' autocorrect on this ipad, my english has really gone to shit. LOL!

Yeah, life is good. Still enjoying your handguard:-). Enjoying fall for all it is. I got the bike jacked up and was thinking of you the other day. I need to drill out the bolt I stripped and send you the brake linkage for shortening. I'm chopping the rear fender and fender struts. Going from this...

6bc9a5ae.jpg

To something short like this...

1f25aa30.jpg

Looks great especially with the bobbed rear fender. My buddy just got one with a similar color combo (via another friend) done by West Coast Choppers and it has similar color combos. The flat silvers are quite striking on a bike.

• 2 weeks later...

The stock is off an SLR-95 that has been heavily modified.

It could probably be done with a dremel and a steady hand or one of those new ocilating saws but I am not sure. I made a fixture for the Bridgport on the last one I did. It is not a modification I would recomend for the average DIY build. I may still have some pics of the modification or I have a few here I am supposed to be modifiying for a friend and my other shotguns and could take pics of that process just not sure when I will get to it so just answer in this thread and I will spend some more time on it. I think I may have posted pics in another thread as well.

It could probably be done with a dremel and a steady hand or one of those new ocilating saws but I am not sure. I made a fixture for the Bridgport on the last one I did. It is not a modification I would recomend for the average DIY build. I may still have some pics of the modification or I have a few here I am supposed to be modifiying for a friend and my other shotguns and could take pics of that process just not sure when I will get to it so just answer in this thread and I will spend some more time on it. I think I may have posted pics in another thread as well.

K-Var shows one listed as Bulgarian for a stamped receiver, would it fit a saiga 7.62 ?

yes, please post pics when you get time. thanks jaymce.

K-Var shows one listed as Bulgarian for a stamped receiver, would it fit a saiga 7.62 ?

Yes, I got one fron another forum member who had used it on an S-12, When I recieved it I hadn't modified my 12 yet, But I test fitted it on my restored 7.62 and it fit perfectly. The aterations are minor and can be done with a dremmel or small saw.

Yes, I got one fron another forum member who had used it on an S-12, When I recieved it I hadn't modified my 12 yet, But I test fitted it on my restored 7.62 and it fit perfectly. The aterations are minor and can be done with a dremmel or small saw.

Thanks, I really like the looks of that stock, I'm thinking of using one on my next build.

Thanks, I really like the looks of that stock, I'm thinking of using one on my next build.

Just a quick explaination,

I initially got that stock from a forum member who had modded it to fit an S-12, I hadn't "restored" my S-12 yet ,so I test fitted it on my 7.62 and it fit very well. I range tested it on the 7.62 and it worked fine.

I had also seen the stocks for sale on the KVAR site and figured that it might not be a bad idea to pick a couple up. They were advertised as "take offs", so I was a little concerned about their condition, but was yery pleased because they were brand new and in excellent condition. I then used the first stock as a dimensional model and modified the KVAR stock, I was able to do this with a mini hack saw.

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum, but I'm about half an I.Q. point and a sloppy grin from having my own hockey helmet and a reserved seat on the short bus (window licking section please!), That stated I'm pretty confident that this is a fairly straightforward project. I'm on the road now, but when I get home I can post cut dimensions/spcifics if that would help.

All things considered, this is a good stock option, but it isn't as ergonomicaly friendly as a traditional pistol grip set up. Unfortunately, I live in the Imperial State of New York, (bang head on wall, Stooopid gun laws, Stooopid gun laws....) and we have slightly more restrictive (Draconian) options for shotguns.

One last thing, if a wood stock is more your style, they usually are on the auction sites if you search under MAK-90, Bulgarian or Norinco ( the chinese did a knock off of the bulgarian version).