Well I'm ready to buy a Saiga! I'm having a hard time deciding what caliber to get but for sure a 7.62x39. I think I'm also going to get a 5.45x39. I am going to do the conversion on the 7.62 first so I will be on here looking for advice and getting tips. Looks like a great forum with lots of information.

I have 7.62x39! More THUMP than the 5.45. I already have a 5.56 AR for a light caliber. Besides, in an interview, Mikhail Kalashnikov said he preferred his round to the 5.45, and in fact disagreed openly with the switch. 5.45x39 is inferior ballitically to 5.56 by over 300 fps for their 52 grain opposed to the US 55 grain. What it does have is a very long, unstable bullet that tumbles even at at low velocity (i.e. 2000 fps). 5.56, on the other hand needs 2500 fps to quickly yaw and fragment.

The 7.62x39 is awesome, its very close to a 30-30 in power, which gives a real good thump out to 200-300yds. US manufacturers make it and you really dont have to worry about that ammo drying up. It would just get more expensive, thats if international importers either stop shipping (highly unlikely) or if us law would outlaw importing foreign ammunition.

The 5.45 is also a great round and it reaches out a bit farther, just like the 223/556. It was also MADE for the ak, and its long bullet does serious destructive damage. My only hangup on it is, if international ammo dries up, your fucked. I dont think any US companies make the 5.45 for commercial sale. Maybe they will someday, but not yet. Which is a huge turn off to me, even though the current imported ammo is cheaper than the x39.

I will recommend the x39 first for close in, then the .556/.223(which brings about magazine issues in ak models) if you want longer distance. I really like the 5.45 but its ammo's availability for the future is uncertain, which would make me nervous.