Saiga 12 and slugs... down and left?

First off hello everyone! I think this is my first topic to make since joining, have found the wealth of information here really helpful in planning to convert my Saiga 12, along with all the other goodies that can be done with it. I've come across a problem with mine that I can't find any information on, however.

After a few months of ownership, I finally went and put some slugs through it (Winchester Super X) and every shot at roughly 20-25 yards went down and left three inches from my target. Was told that it may be the brand, so I tried Remmington Sluggers and more Super X... same.

Barrel seems straight, clay shooting I've been spot on with, so I'm kind of lost at the moment. The factory sights APPEAR to be okay, haven't put a bore sight in to double check.

Any of these symptoms seem familiar to anybody? I did a search and didn't find anything in recent times.

Thanks!

Edited by DevilsDesperado

Buy better sights that are elevation/windage adjustable.

Spot on with shot and spot on with slugs is apparently a world of difference, especially with the somewhat lackluster stock sights.

Also, shooting clays you're likely only getting a part of the shot's pattern on the clays, after all it only takes a few pellets to bust a clay.

I'll bet your slug POI is within your shot's average pattern.

That's a good point. I've noticed a "line" going from the front bead to the rear sight, like it was for alignment of the sight placement on the shotgun. The rear seems to be off and twisted at just a slight SLIGHT angle, making the right side of it lower than the left, and it's seated just a hair to the left from center. Possible explanation there as to my predicament? I'm easily confused by the move-sight-this-way-to-compensate-for-that-way concept. I'm lucky enough to remember to breathe.shame.gif

Drift the rear sight to the left to compensate. You should be able to do this by putting a flat punch against it with the gun against something solid and using small taps of the hammer. It is helpful to make a scratch or pencil mark as a reference point.

My S12 is about 2" low left at 50 yards. As far as drifting the rear blade sight. I beat the hell out of mind and she is'nt movin. I have been thinking of getting Krebs sights for mine. At 50 yards I'm still in the kill zone of any large animal.

OK danger ahead. If you think this is the gun. Turn it upside down and shoot. It should hit where your aiming. Problem solved.

Remove the barrel and reinstall it 180 degrees off. A gun smith could probably do this for you if your unsure.

^^ lol couldn't resist

Serious at this part ==>> Are you using a poly choke? Or muzzle break?

Used a decent sized punch about as wide as the base of the sight. I'm going to just shoot it some more to be sure it isn't just me before I mess with it any more. Hopefully the tips are helping the O.P as well.

Used a decent sized punch about as wide as the base of the sight. I'm going to just shoot it some more to be sure it isn't just me before I mess with it any more. Hopefully the tips are helping the O.P as well.

+1 Large punch, big hammer and petratying oil.

Best of luck getting the rear sight to drift in either direction! After tapping as hard as I felt comfortable with a punch set and a baby sledge, I ended up hacksawing the old sight out. Getting the Krebs sight into the dovetail was a bit of an adventure as well!