1st run of Brand New Saiga-12 -- Interesting results

Hello All!

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well. I know mine did! I never thought one could get so tired from eating!

Anyways...here's the scoop.

My wife purchased a S12 for me from Classicarms (Gasp!) back in March which was then held in escrow by until my birthday a couple of weeks ago.

It was one of the cross-thatched importer mark 4-port guns that people were talking about during that whole "Impending ATFE Importation Ban" business.

So, I brought it out to the range, gave the bolt a quick lube, hand cycled the action a few times and loaded up some 00 buckshot (I saw here on this forum that it's good to put some hi-brass through it at the beginning to break it in).

I set the gas plug to 2 and then proceeded to shoot. I expected the gun to handle the hi-brass without incident (which it did). I shot a couple mags worth of buckshot using the stock magazine without any hiccups.

Now, this is where shit gets crazy.

Because we were there for clay shooting, buckshot was obviously not going to cut it. So, I decided to try the weaker birdshot

Now, I'm not sure if this is typical or not...but it cycled the cheap federal bulk birdshot #7.5 you can get at Walmart for about 20$. Right out of the box000.gif .

Honestly, I was very suprised because I've seen it all over this forum that I'd probably need to polish the bolt, get a reduced power spring / Auto-plug / new puck....etc.

Is this atypical? Did I get really lucky? Has anyone else had this experience? Needless to say, I was very pleased.

My next project is to restore this sucker to its proper glory and convert it.

4 out of the 4 that my friends and I have cycled the target load right out of the box, now after you restore the gun you will most likely need to profile the Tapco hammer otherwise you could have cycleing issues. The buckshot should be shot using gas setting 1 not setting 2. An MD v-plug will allow for better gas control and the reviews on the autoplug are great as well, however, the autoplug is not recommended for 3" shells.

• Like 2

4 out of the 4 that my friends and I have cycled the target load right out of the box, now after you restore the gun you will most likely need to profile the Tapco hammer otherwise you could have cycleing issues. The buckshot should be shot using gas setting 1 not setting 2. An MD v-plug will allow for better gas control and the reviews on the autoplug are great as well, however, the autoplug is not recommended for 3" shells.

Thanks for the reply, HOG76.

I have converted Saiga rifles before, but I'm sure there isn't much difference between the two. I do fully intend on profiling the replacement hammer (whether I choose to go Arsenal or Tapco) to at or below the stock hammer (seeing as how it worked nicely).

After that, I plan on getting the MD Arms rivet-on trigger guard and oversized pistol grip reinforcement plate to mate up with the MD Arms molot grip. Then, I'll get an adapter block and an ACE skeleton stock.

I think I'm going to leave the stock handguard for now, it serves it's purpose. I can put that money into buying drums...rolleyes.gif

<p>I don't think it's that atypical. Mine (3 port gun) would cycle it a little, but not reliably. I did some polish and reprofiling and that did it. </p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

I expected the gun to FTE on the birdshot, but I was very pleasantly surprised when it cycled. I also plan on either polishing it all myself, or sending the bolt out to Pauly to get a good once-over. I'm on the fence about getting a vertical charging handle installed when/if it's with Pauly (I lack the tools to make one myself).

Edited by Hexus535

I have an '09 3 hole gun that ran federal bulk all day long out of the box. It seems most of the more recent guns seem to have less issues right out of the box

Well, I sure it would develop and improve over time (which I am glad for). I LOVE THIS GUN.

Anyone have any experience threading? I'm considering chopping the barrel down, and then permanently affixing a polychoke so the barrels OAL is 18" CSS has the tools to do it and I'm putting an order together over there and wondering if I should get the threading die.

I have an '09 3 hole gun that ran federal bulk all day long out of the box. It seems most of the more recent guns seem to have less issues right out of the box

Well, I sure it would develop and improve over time (which I am glad for). I LOVE THIS GUN.

Anyone have any experience threading? I'm considering chopping the barrel down, and then permanently affixing a polychoke so the barrels OAL is 18" CSS has the tools to do it and I'm putting an order together over there and wondering if I should get the threading die.

We got Him, HE IS HOOKED ON THE NEW DRUG!!!

Good looking S12!!!

Just thought Id add that I had a similar experience with my new saiga this past weekend. Shoots Federal multi-purpose/game loads, and also the winchsester universal in setting 1.

My 3-port '09 Saiga also ran everything right out of the box. In fact, it has nearly as smooth an action as my ETAC. No work required at all to make it a great shooter.

Well, it looks like the Vodka Special is now a thing of the past. LOL, here I am thinking I got the polar opposite of a lemon...

Yes, I am hooked, I was hooked the moment I bought my Saiga .223. Now I own two .223's, a 5.45, and a 12.

I also started building my own AK's, I've got two '74 kits build under my belt with a soon to be completed Krink once the tax stamp comes in.

The AK Platform is absolutely fantastic!

my new 4 port 2011 saiga wont cycle the cheap bird shot at all...

And so the cycle continues....or not. Fortunately, you came to the right spot to get it running to your liking.

All I get now is stove pipes at least it's better than before when it didn't even move the slide...

All I get now is stove pipes at least it's better than before when it didn't even move the slide...

If you have a four port gun and thats the best it will do you might need to look at the gas plug. Theres been a few cases of the plug's not being machined properly and basically blocking all the gas on either setting.

Edited by big-J

i am going to buy the reliably kit and keep the low recoil spring out if i can, but if it still wont cycle, i will put the spring in. i just hope i don't gain to much recoil from the low recoil rifle slugs i use if i do have to install the spring

My first 2- 19" S12s were '08 models and they were very needy as were my '09 19" S12s. Both of my 24" are '08, I think, bet they didn't require the whole book thrown at them. I can make these weapons run, but I think it would be nice to just get one that runs and refine it later when I feel like doing it. I ordered a 2011 19" last night for the TAC47 M.A.G.12 install and to satisfy my curiousity about measureable changes in the action.

TGS,

Good plan. You may get lucky and it will run fine with just the new puck. i hope so, a little part of evl dies whenever I hear of someone running the low power spring.... unhappy.gif

Just thought Id add that I had a similar experience with my new saiga this past weekend. Shoots Federal multi-purpose/game loads, and also the winchsester universal in setting 1.

You are a V-plug canidate

Thanks for the reply, HOG76.

I have converted Saiga rifles before, but I'm sure there isn't much difference between the two. I do fully intend on profiling the replacement hammer (whether I choose to go Arsenal or Tapco) to at or below the stock hammer (seeing as how it worked nicely).

After that, I plan on getting the MD Arms rivet-on trigger guard and oversized pistol grip reinforcement plate to mate up with the MD Arms molot grip. Then, I'll get an adapter block and an ACE skeleton stock.

I think I'm going to leave the stock handguard for now, it serves it's purpose. I can put that money into buying drums...rolleyes.gif

<p>I don't think it's that atypical. Mine (3 port gun) would cycle it a little, but not reliably. I did some polish and reprofiling and that did it. </p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

I expected the gun to FTE on the birdshot, but I was very pleasantly surprised when it cycled. I also plan on either polishing it all myself, or sending the bolt out to Pauly to get a good once-over. I'm on the fence about getting a vertical charging handle installed when/if it's with Pauly (I lack the tools to make one myself).

Go with the Tapco JMHO. I absolutely love my VCH best mod I think I've made so far. Makes it more functional if you where to ask me and looks bad ass at the same time.

Go with the Tapco JMHO. I absolutely love my VCH best mod I think I've made so far. Makes it more functional if you where to ask me and looks bad ass at the same time.

I have a Tapco FCG in my .223 and I'm pretty happy with it. I have an Arsenal in my home-made AK74 Kit build, and I am also very happy with it. I guess I'll just go with whatever is cheaper at the time of sale when I buy my conversion parts.

Hello All!

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well. I know mine did! I never thought one could get so tired from eating!

Anyways...here's the scoop.

My wife purchased a S12 for me from Classicarms (Gasp!) back in March which was then held in escrow by until my birthday a couple of weeks ago.

It was one of the cross-thatched importer mark 4-port guns that people were talking about during that whole "Impending ATFE Importation Ban" business.

So, I brought it out to the range, gave the bolt a quick lube, hand cycled the action a few times and loaded up some 00 buckshot (I saw here on this forum that it's good to put some hi-brass through it at the beginning to break it in).

I set the gas plug to 2 and then proceeded to shoot. I expected the gun to handle the hi-brass without incident (which it did). I shot a couple mags worth of buckshot using the stock magazine without any hiccups.

Now, this is where shit gets crazy.

Because we were there for clay shooting, buckshot was obviously not going to cut it. So, I decided to try the weaker birdshot

Now, I'm not sure if this is typical or not...but it cycled the cheap federal bulk birdshot #7.5 you can get at Walmart for about 20$. Right out of the box000.gif .

Honestly, I was very suprised because I've seen it all over this forum that I'd probably need to polish the bolt, get a reduced power spring / Auto-plug / new puck....etc.

Is this atypical? Did I get really lucky? Has anyone else had this experience? Needless to say, I was very pleased.

My next project is to restore this sucker to its proper glory and convert it.

A 4 port 'gas operated' Saiga 12 (there's your sign) cycling well with low base loads? Unpossible.... ;)