Cant Find Any Parts?? Gas Tube?

Hello.

Has anybody else had issue finding a store that sells the "nuts and bolts" (for lack of a better term) for saiga 12's?

I can easily find a bunch of tactical attachments, but God for bid if i seek a bolt carrier or a gas tube. My gun is in need of a gas tube, and If anybody has one they're looking to get rid of (doesn't have to be new, just has to work in a non converted s12), Id be happy to buy it from you. Thanks, guys.

I UTFSE for "spare parts" and got like 100 threads just like this one.

Not trying to be a jerk but somebody starts a "spare parts" thread like once a week.

There are no spare parts to speak of. Sometimes you can find a piece here and there on gunbroker from a gun that was torn apart. Thats the only way to get spares, buy another gun or have the part made.

I UTFSE for "spare parts" and got like 100 threads just like this one.

Not trying to be a jerk but somebody starts a "spare parts" thread like once a week.

There are no spare parts to speak of. Sometimes you can find a piece here and there on gunbroker from a gun that was torn apart. Thats the only way to get spares, buy another gun or have the part made.

I understand that and all, but all the ones come up as sold (or at least the part needed was).

Its more if there was a giant elephant in the room, an obvious answer for its so damn hard to find parts.

With a community this big, you'd think at least one of us would know where to get parts for our guns (not modified, not tacticool lights and shit, a place to buy parts so it actually stays running).

I've contacted all the importers listed, as well as midwayusa, cheaper than dirt, and especially CarolinaShootingSupply, nobody's getting back.

So, I figure one recent post for a gas tube would be fine, considering there are other wanted parts lists, but they're sold, so it really doesnt help.

Basically, If you don't have 2 s12's and one breaks down, you're pretty much fucked (fancy paperweight). Nobody stocks tubes for them. Or bolts. Or bolt carriers. Come to think of it, If i wanted to mount a (insert crazily unneeded tactical accessory, persay, a microwave) I would have better luck finding that with weaver rails than actual parts to keep it running.

If you know of a site, please, by all means, chime in.

Whats wrong with your gas tube? Maybe its fixable. Other than that id try to modify somthing else to work, maybe a piece of pipe.

Specifically,the gas tube slightly indented inwards in 2 spots. I was tightening down a quad rail, and the screws went through the bottom and i literally torqued down my gas tube in 2 spots. The dents are maybe 2mm deep and 2 mm wide. Despite the dents, it still doesnt rub up against the bolt carrier. It doesnt affect performance (from what i have noted) In retrospect, it was stupid as hell to do, but it's done. It can be fixed (Id hire a gunsmith to indent the 2 spots back out.) This could be around 100 bucks, which im definitely willing to spend (its alot for a stupid mistake). Just thought maybe you guys knew of a place to get parts for em. Im kinda new to the s12 platform.

On a side note, i appreciate your quotes on the bottom.

Whats wrong with your gas tube? Maybe its fixable. Other than that id try to modify somthing else to work, maybe a piece of pipe.

Specifically,the gas tube slightly indented inwards in 2 spots. I was tightening down a quad rail, and the screws went through the bottom and i literally torqued down my gas tube in 2 spots. The dents are maybe 2mm deep and 2 mm wide. Despite the dents, it still doesnt rub up against the bolt carrier. It doesnt affect performance (from what i have noted) In retrospect, it was stupid as hell to do, but it's done. It can be fixed (Id hire a gunsmith to indent the 2 spots back out.) This could be around 100 bucks, which im definitely willing to spend (its alot for a stupid mistake). Just thought maybe you guys knew of a place to get parts for em. Im kinda new to the s12 platform.

On a side note, i appreciate your quotes on the bottom.

Well, I have one idea on how to fix it. Get a ratchet set, and find a socket with the closest external diameter to the gas tubes internal diameter that you can find. try to find one that can move freely, if its to tight you can expand your gas tube, I did that removing the dents from my remington 870's magazine tube. now the barrel takes some force to get on and off. Anyway, find the socket with the closest possible fit, get a ratchet extension for that socket, and beat it and the socket past the dents inside the tube to drive them back out. put some oil in there first, it might help reduce the chances of gouging or getting stuck. if it gets stuck, youll have to remove the gas block and gas tube to use another extension to drive the socket back out from the other side. i had to do that to get the socket out of my 870's magazine tube when it got stuck. as others have said, theres no provider for spare parts in America. thanks for the compliment, i got those quotes off T shirts.

Edited by yooper14.5

Thats a good idea. And just leave the socket on the ratchet extension? I feel i might lose it in there if it got too tight. But the raises in the tube are minimal, with minor craftsmanship skill and time (i possess both), this should take out the indents. And i remember doing similar adjustment with the mag extention on my 870.

I did 2 mods to the gun (tapco t6 stock and quadrail). It used to be able to cycle birdshot on the 1 setting, now it jams. I'm hoping (or maybe in denial) that the stock reduced recoil making it harder for the gun to cycle (ive heard of this happening), and the indentations dont have anything to do with it. This could be the case. If worse comes to worse, i know a gunsmith can fix it. Its just dissapointing to have your stuff messed up, and 10xs worse if its your own damn fault. Im gonna try the setting 2 tomorrow. The bolt carrier falls freely dissasembled (only tension point when it slides across the trigger, other than that, the bolt carrier freely moves in and out of the gas tube (with the rear spring out and cover off, of course).

Well, I appreciate your help.

the only way i can think of to eliminate the possibility of it getting stuck is to weld the socket onto the extension, and weld a handle onto the extensions other end, so you can beat it back out without removing the gas tube.it would cost you some tools, but they're cheaper than the gunsmith. if you had the tools, you could even drill and tap the end of the extension so the socket could be held on by a bolt rather than welding it, so the tool could use different size sockets and be multipurposable, maybe you dent something else later on. other than that i think youll just have to risk it getting stuck and having to do a bit more work to get it unstuck, although i think if you wiggled it hard enough it would loosen enough that you could get it out, because wiggling it would push the gas tube out just a little bit more, which might allow it to be removed. it would have to be wiggled pretty hard though.

ive heard of tapco t6's causing cycling issues too, so i bet if you changed it for somthing else it would cycle again. ive screwed stuff up too, in particular a left hand safty conversion for my 870, so now ive got to try to fix the thing, but its not right. you have to almost punch the safty to turn it on, but it turns off easy, i tore the hell out of my triggerguard though. i felt like a complete retard when i did that.

Edited by yooper14.5

the only way i can think of to eliminate the possibility of it getting stuck is to weld the socket onto the extension, and weld a handle onto the extensions other end, so you can beat it back out without removing the gas tube.it would cost you some tools, but they're cheaper than the gunsmith. if you had the tools, you could even drill and tap the end of the extension so the socket could be held on by a bolt rather than welding it, so the tool could use different size sockets and be multipurposable, maybe you dent something else later on. other than that i think youll just have to risk it getting stuck and having to do a bit more work to get it unstuck, although i think if you wiggled it hard enough it would loosen enough that you could get it out, because wiggling it would push the gas tube out just a little bit more, which might allow it to be removed. it would have to be wiggled pretty hard though.

Yeah, I think its well worth sacrificing a tool. I really dont think its affecting the performance, but its really no way to tell. Ill try the socket trick, it seems really good in theory. all over an overtorqued quadrail I did.

Side question, any of you guys experience lower reliability when changing stocks?

Yes you would think that somebody would be producing parts here in the states by now. Then again these guns dont break often so there probably isnt as high of a demand as you might think. Apparently they cant even get parts in Russia.

The gun shouldnt cycle low brass one setting 1 anyway. That is for highbrass, buckshot and slugs. Setting 2 for lowbrass/birdshot.

Is the quad rail a UTG? They can cause cycling issues, apparently its pretty common. Its not likely the stock

As far as the dented gas block, Congratulations your gun now has CHARACTER! Dont worry about it. Just tell people they're there from a shootout where you ran out of ammo and had to start swinging! Or some other great story. Thats what I'd do.biggrin.png

Yes you would think that somebody would be producing parts here in the states by now. Then again these guns dont break often so there probably isnt as high of a demand as you might think. Apparently they cant even get parts in Russia.

The gun shouldnt cycle low brass one setting 1 anyway. That is for highbrass, buckshot and slugs. Setting 2 for lowbrass/birdshot.

Is the quad rail a UTG? They can cause cycling issues, apparently its pretty common. Its not likely the stock

As far as the dented gas block, Congratulations your gun now has CHARACTER! Dont worry about it. Just tell people they're there from a shootout where you ran out of ammo and had to start swinging! Or some other great story. Thats what I'd do.biggrin.png

Okay, first off, i completely with the character thing. It took me about 10 seconds to get over the fact i dented my 600 dollar (7 with mods) month old shotgun). . And i know it shouldnt have been able to cycle it on 1 (but it did). Well, now it can't, and the bolts moving freely with no friction in the tube.. Ill see what happens when i throw her on 2 tomorrow. Its not so much dents, its if it affected performance, and the sole cause was I (me, personally, through my stupidity). Im not so upset with the gun, its me im upset with.

But, this isnt a self help forum, now is it? wink.png

Ill find out more tomorrow. Ill try setting 2 for the first time. This (what, doubles?) the gas flow. This should help. If not, Ill try the socket trick. If not, ill blow the 100 or so dollars on a gunsmith (i dont want too, but i will if it comes down to it.)

Its a UTG quad. I like it. just should have been easier with it. I used it to attach my foregrip

welll i hope it goes well for you, if it were my gun id get pissed with myself every time i saw the dents. character is it fell over and got dented, or somthing fell on it, or hard use beat it up, but its different when you screw it up yourself while working on it. then its a pissoff. i didnt think about it being a utg rail..... take that off and see how it acts, its way more likely that than the stock.

I dont even know if its the rail. Its those G.D. dents that i put into it. Ill try cycling it on 2 (you have to admit, the fact it could cycle birdshot on 1 before hand is unheard of or at least to me). Ill try setting 2. If that fixes it, the dents dont matter (i wanna leave the quadrail on to attach the tactical microwave attachment. It should hopefully look like this when im done:

Cheers, folks.

post-37479-0-36400600-1322711525_thumb.jpg

I guess you guys are right, character comes from use and abuse. Thats where the story comes in!wink.png

It is at least a learning experience and a reminder of said experience.

Its the Rail dude, betcha money. You dont necessarily have to toss it. If setting 2 dont work. Take it off and see if that clears it up. If so you may need to drill a hole in the rail where the hole is in the side of the gas block. Ive also heard the rail can torque the GB in a way that will cause problems. Dont send it to a smith until you make sure its not the rail. B/C it probably is.

Holy crap if I see too many more of these threads I'm gonna part out one of my S-12s.

You aint kidding there was a stock parts kit S-12 that was de-milled on GB that went for over $600 I could part 2 of my guns out and buy 3 to replace them with the money I could get.