Has anyone used their side rail for anything other than optics?

Just curious if anyone has found an unconventional but practical use for the rail. I'm still figuring out the type of conversion I want to do, but after seeing some pictures of the more traditional AK look conversions with wood furniture, I'm leaning that way. That means nothing overtly ninja, but i'd like to see if anyone has found an interesting use for it that wouldn't take away from the traditional AK look.

I also don't like buying a fully loaded car then finding one or two blanks covering unused switch holes.

I have one of those surplus grenade sights that I'd like to fashion a mounting bracket for. It would be interesting to find out what the long-range ballistics of certain shotgun slugs really arebig_smile.gif

Edited by EWOKETEER
  • Like 1

I just use it for optics, maybe a flashlight

I thought about a tactical light, but it felt wrong to put a bright target right at the middle of my neck.

Plus, with 22" barrel (and probably a flash hider down the road), I don't think this will be the gun I grab for CQB.

I also don't like buying a fully loaded car then finding one or two blanks covering unused switch holes.

Well, if the car is Japanese, get used to it as most Japanese cars have options in Japan that either aren't available in the States or are just now becoming popular here... A couple of things come to mind such as motorized folding side mirrors and parking antennae...

A couple of things come to mind such as motorized folding side mirrors and parking antennae...

I was thinking of putting one of those folding side mirrors on my side rail, so I can watch my own 6 while making dynamic entries and shit like that!haha.gif

• Like 4

The side rail is real close to a .22 rail - maybe it could be used to make a quick detach mount to stow the gun under a trunk lid or on the back of the bedroom dresser?

Now this could actually be a good Idea, especially for a short SBS

Mounted to an inside roof mount, HELL YES!! I may have to do this one day.

you could make a nice drinks holder to slot into that rail, not too practicle but good on a hot day!

I want a kick stand/monopod to mount on there.... with a drink holder.

Not a bad idea. A monopod would be perfect for those times when you want to flip it on its side and shoot it gangsta style.

mine functioned well to get in the way of my folding stock setup (M4 tube and GL-Shock Stock,) so now I use it as a novelty paperweight.

was it hard to remove?

Easy to me. Centerpunch the rivets, drill the heads off, knock rivets out with a punch, and rail comes off.

• Like 1