Hello everyone,

Im looking to get an AK47 and from what Im finding Saiga is the way to go. There are no good shops local to me and several of my friends have good things to say about Atlantic Firearms. I dont have time to do a conversion and I was lookign for somthing already converted. I found this model and like the look of it. It appears that the bolt and carrier is either polished or plated with somthing and the red stocks and black finish look cherry. I posted in some other forums but I figure that the Saiga home would be the best place to ask. Any input would be good.RAKCLASSIC2.jpg

yeah, they tend to do good work. I spend way too much of my time looking into the world of guns online and several of the gun gurus I like suggest using Atlantic. and that price isn't bad at all, especially with the FSB and gas block restored.

however, I do humbly suggest picking up the $300.00 - $350.00 Saiga and putting a few hundred in time and work into it. if you have some of the basic tools to do it (power drill or dremel, simple hand tools), then you could do a lot of the conversion yourself for less and get exactly what you want on it.

Not just from a "cheaper" perspective since you don't save a ton of money, but from a "I did this and it looks are works awesome" perspective.

You won't go wrong with Atlantic !! Great stuff, and great service !! Blaine has helped me out on more than one occasion, and I'd highly recommend buying from Atlantic if you aren't inclined to or have the time to do your own conversion !!

You'll be happy with it !!

Currently you can buy the red stock set separately for $129 with free shipping: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1032.aspx

Sorry, for my confusion - my reference to a $829 price was for a slightly less modded one here: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1027.aspx

So does anyone agree that it seems like the end cost is roughly the same whether I do these mods myself or get one from Atlantic (or have some one else do them) - ? Boils down to whether I have the time, resources, patience, and personal pride to do it myself. - ?

• Like 1
Currently you can buy the red stock set separately for $129 with free shipping: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1032.aspx

Sorry, for my confusion - my reference to a $829 price was for a slightly less modded one here: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1027.aspx

So does anyone agree that it seems like the end cost is roughly the same whether I do these mods myself or get one from Atlantic (or have some one else do them) - ? Boils down to whether I have the time, resources, patience, and personal pride to do it myself. - ?

To get that exact rifle the cost to convert it youself may be close but id still guess a little cheaper. However when it comes to presing off and replacing your front sight block and gas block it gets a little tough. Depending on your skill level that may require taking it to a pro which will cost a few $

But if you can live without the bayo lug and cleaning rod holder fsb and gb you can definitely save a few hundred $.

350 rifle

125 red furniture

30 FCG

20 gas tube

25-65 bolt-on hand guard retainer

Polished bolt - you could probably do it yourself or get pauly to do if for around $75 (I think? confirm that price)

TOTAL - Call it $575-700 after shipping

OR

If you really don't want to/don't have time to do the conversion but don't want to shell out close to $1,000, could buy mine. It wears all black furniture and is more of the basic conversion I listed out above. (No bayo lug, cleaning rod, or polished bolt)

In all honesty I haven't listed it for sale of anything like that but am itching for an AR at the moment so may be willing to part with it. PM me if your interested. Id be willing to sell it for the low end of what I just listed out as the cost to convert one yourself

Edited by dust feeder

Im very pleased with the stock set I ordered, its an extremely nice finish and I'm pretty picky. It is Timbersmith. When I get around to putting it on I'll post a pic. The RAK carriers are polished.

I found out some more info on the rifle from Atlantic. The new rifles are going to have nickel plated bolts/carrier. Which will make it easier to clean!

The finish on the rifle is manganese phosphate finished for steel with a

Teflon top coat for added protection and it also looks sweat. I think I’m sold on this rig and will post an update if I purchases one.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I don't know if anyone knew this....

But I looked at one of will's (red jacket) classic style conversions. Which is very well done and had the holes welded and all the little bells and whistles on it. Then was lurking around Atlantic and saw another (red jacket) classic they were selling for the same price that was on the RJ website as the classic.

Something didn't look right when I saw the Atlantic red jacket classic. Tapco timbersmith stock set, no weld holes, yadda yadda. Then looked at will's red jacket classic. Two completely diffrent builds? Same price? Either wills work is diffrent or someone at atlantic was told they were getting a red jacket gun or something. But the one on Atlantics web page does not look anything like the Red Jacket build on their website. Are these real red jacket AK's?

Just look at the two and tell me there isn't a diffrence.

Russian_Red_Clas_4dd162c1b1486_300x300.jpg

Edited by MH12194

MH12194 , The rifles are made by Red Jacket we do not need to misrepresent a item to sell it ! Will has been building rifles for our firm for over 10 -12 years and builds them under contract based on the specs at the time & it may vary. The original Russian Red Rifles were actually a idea we came up with and then worked with Will & Red Jacket on developing & bringing to market . We have actually contracted with several diffrent firms over the years to bring a similar model to production. As Red Jackets focus has grown into other ventures we do not know if we will see them producing these in the future .

Cool, thats for clearing that up! And nice site.

I've noticed that Atlantic is now doing some videos with some of the products. I actually found this on youtube for this rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srBGiL7u5Xk

*EDIT*

Opps thats not the same rifle. This must be the other Rifle that was being discussed....still nice though.

Edited by StealStick
  • 3 weeks later...

This is some kind of a weird franken-"AKM-103", with that ugly etched out import stamp and nylon plugged rear axis rivet holes. I mean, it's nice and everything, but you could get an Arsenal SGL21 for a little over $700 and put Timbersmith on it, all for about the same price and you would have a bayo lug, accessory lug, no etched stamp, very effective muzzle brake and all your holes welded up like they were never there. Just my opinion...

The bullet guide is riveted I do believe. Also I think the rear axis holes have rivets put back in them, not nylon plugs. Also you would still have to moly-resin (gun kote) it. My biggest concern would be the builders warranty does he stand by his work, easy to get a hold of etc.... You did buy from Atlantic so you have that going for you.

Edited by Yoshi

SpetznazGRU is 100% correct. This build is a total ripoff compared to an SGL-21. You're not getting an AK-103, nor are you getting an AKM. You're getting someone's frankenstein build that isn't even done to completion, and for nearly a grand. lol.

Edited by mancat

SpetznazGRU is 100% correct. This build is a total ripoff compared to an SGL-21. You're not getting an AK-103, nor are you getting an AKM. You're getting someone's frankenstein build that isn't even done to completion, and for nearly a grand. lol.

I find your comment pushing past offensive. Do you make it a habit of laughing at people rifles? If you do I feel obligated to tell you that its poor manors and reflect negatively how your parents raised you. From what I can tell of this build it’s of awesome quality and I’m more than happy with the rifle and the service that I received from Atlantic. From what I've seen out there in the way of conversions I would say that this rifle is better than most. So honestly I'm not going to tell you what you can do with you remarks about it not being this or not being that. I would respectfully ask in the future please do not comment on my threads if you feel the need to be an antagonist. Or maybe this forum allows that kind of taunting....

Calm down dude, nothing was meant as a personal insult to you. But if you are looking at spending nearly a grand on this rifle, you might want to read what I posted again. I'm sure the rifle itself is a quality piece, being a Saiga and all, but the conversion is not to the level of finish that you should expect for that sort of money.

- Axis pin holes not welded - presumably all other holes in the receiver left over from the conversion are still there

- Obliterated dealer blemish (the rectangular area ahead of the buttstock) not filled in/eliminated

- AKM sight post with AK-74 gas block - pretty big inconsistency. Rifle being billed as a "classic" AK-47 but has lots of AK-74 parts. Which type of rifle is it supposed to be?

You can call these nitpicks but I expect way more for that amount of $$$.

Edited by mancat