Can 5.56 be used in a Saiga .223

Ok so ive heard the Saiga .223 is actually a 5.56 rifle stamped as a .223 for import reasons and has no problem with 5.56 ammo, so i checked out the RAAC website and the .223 is listed as a 5.56 x 45 caliber rifle... i know .223 CAN be used in a 5.56 rifle but 5.56 SHOULD NOT be used in a .223 rifle

So my question is has anybody used 5.56 in there S.223?what.gif

Edited by THE VILLAIN
  • Like 1

There should have been a sticky for this question long ago. Comes up constantly.

It's weird that they stamp the receivers .223Rem yet in the manual it says both. If it is done to make importing easier in some crazy way, why are the 7.62 models stamped 7.62? I wish I had the tools and know-how to measure it myself.

Nodody likes an unsafe firearm and I wish they would make it positively clear. Throw the question into a search box and about a million results pop up.

i have been told that they are stamped .223 since it is not legal to import rifles stamped 5.56x45 since that is a nato caliber.

are the .308 marked as .308 or 7.62x51?

.308 WIN

7,62 x 51

• 2 weeks later...

Differences between 5.56x45 and .223.

Ammo:

The only major differences is the pressure in the case.

Firearm:

Barrel chambering is different. Usually a longer throat and leade.

Two common chamberings one specific to the 5.56x45 the other is a .223 Wylde.

Now commercial 5.56x45 may not achieve the +62,000psi of pressure.

Commercial 5.56 is usually set for a lower pressure for safety. If I remember correctly Federal states 55,000psi for XM193.

It is possible to achieve 5.56x45 velocities at .223 pressures thanks to some good powders.

Saiga will eat all ammo .223 or 5.56x45 as long as it is loaded under 63,000psi. Also if you use 5.56 alot it will eventualy wear out your spring prematurely. Looking into a different spring to fix that.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 7.62x39mm

I would say about half of the rounds shot through my Saiga .223 so far have been 5.56. They are definitely hotter on average than the usual steel-cased stuff. I have to say, I have noticed some peening of the rear trunnion that indicates that the tail of the bolt (NOT the carrier) may be striking it. The recoil spring is as new as it gets. I agree, a stiffer spring may be needed if you fire a lot of 5.56. However, the AK-101 series is designed to fire 5.56, and I would expect that the rifle could probably keep going forever like this.

Edited by mancat

I would say about half of the rounds shot through my Saiga .223 so far have been 5.56. They are definitely hotter on average than the usual steel-cased stuff. I have to say, I have noticed some peening of the rear trunnion that indicates that the tail of the bolt (NOT the carrier) may be striking it. The recoil spring is as new as it gets. I agree, a stiffer spring may be needed if you fire a lot of 5.56. However, the AK-101 series is designed to fire 5.56, and I would expect that the rifle could probably keep going forever like this.

The spring on the 101 is stiffer if I remember correctly.

Also remember that these rifles are mass manufactured in the same plant but in two separate assembly lines within the plant. The overall hardware barrels, bolts, carriers, hammer springs, sear springs and pistons are the same but there are some things that are not. All for importing reasons.

Again if I remember correctly the 101 and 102 both have a stiffer spring made specifically for 5.56x45. The Saiga's are stamped .223 but are chambered to fire the 5.56x45 the reason again is for importing.

I will try to get in contact with Wolff Gun Springs and see if their 15% stiffer AK47 style spring will work for us.

• Like 1

7.62x39, I was talking about the recoil spring. It seems you may be talking about the hamme spring? Just making sure we're on the same page.

No I mentioned that those specific parts will carry over from the AK 101 series but the recoil springs do not.

The factory AK 101 spring I believe is stiffer.

That's what I was getting at. Is there a reason why the recoil spring is not compatible?

Its not a compatibility issue it is just that the armory does not install the military spring in the Saigas more than likely for legal reasons.

I think the Wolff gun springs 15% heavier recoil spring would be stiffer than the factory spring and would give the Saiga the higher military grade performance it should have.

Sent an email to Wolff gun springs to see if the dimensions will work, no reply just yet.