Hey guys, first post... I've been reading around and stocking up on knowledge (this forum is immensely helpful), and I saw the "16" vs. 22"" thread. It seems like the focus was more on long range work. I am planning on using this rifle as two things... first, hunting. Deer, boar, coyote, etc. Second is my truck gun. So it needs to be fairly compact. Now in NC, shots over 200 yards are very rare. So I'm thinking 16" will be fine, but what say you guys? Will the .308 perform well enough on deer and boar at >200 yards?

Appreciate the info!

Edited by Inebriated

I have a converted .308 with a free floating hand guard and fluted barrel that will do one minute groups at 100 yds. with a standard 4x POSP scope. It is the 21 inch barrel, but I'd think you'll do fine for hunting with yours.

I imagine, just from my experience, that the 16" will group better at shorter ranges due to the barrel's stiffness, but once it get's out there and wind starts to affect the slower-moving bullet, they'll open up more than the 21"... I'd like to get a few different barrel lengths and test group sizes at various yardages. Anyway, as long as it'll hit about 3 MOA, I'm content. A coyote won't know if I'm a half-inch low and an inch left lol.

Edited by Inebriated

I imagine, just from my experience, that the 16" will group better at shorter ranges due to the barrel's stiffness, but once it get's out there and wind starts to affect the slower-moving bullet, they'll open up more than the 21"... I'd like to get a few different barrel lengths and test group sizes at various yardages. Anyway, as long as it'll hit about 3 MOA, I'm content. A coyote won't know if I'm a half-inch low and an inch left lol.

You can expect 3moa or better depending on the quality of work you do, and ammo.

In between 21 and 22.

Its a battle rifle not a target rifle 16" will do well as your sighting method allows.

A 16" needs a flash hider much more than the long barrel.

All a matter of personal preference.

Edited by Rhodes1968

16 will work but keep in mind you will not be getting full burn unless you use some faster burning loads. Its give and take with the 16 vs 21 you get a shorter barrel but give up FPS. For me I went with the long barrel because I already have a few 7.62X39s which are better suited for short barrel than the 308, With the price of 308 i want to get everything i can out of the round. As far as hunting 21 really isnt long at all unless you hunt in thick wooded area.

I believe the actual length is 555mm or just over 21 3/4"

Edited by cbr
  • 3 weeks later...

I really like the 16'' barreled 308 over the 22'' barrel. I own both but really haven't focused nor compared the two different barrel lengths yet. We been hammering my two 16'' barreled saiga's in 308 so far. Benchrested with surplus south african 308 ball ammo at 100yds the 16'' barrel will shoot 1 1/2'' groups if we do our part. I'm sure with a better quality ammo it will tighten up the groups even more. A few years back there was one shooter with a 16'' barreled saiga scoped was hitting steel plate gongs at 450yds. I'm not sure where the accuracy of the 16'' barrel will fall off and where the 22'' barrel will take over nor how far it will shoot accurately. I been planning on scoping my 22'' barreled 308 saiga with a scope from kalinka soon. I been eyeing the $399 scope they offer for the saiga's side rail mount.

So my point is a 16'' barrel in 308 saiga will do fine. But when in doubt get both and shoot the snots out of them.

I also heard from one owner who owns the vepr and a 308 saiga as to where the saiga groups tighter than the vepr. I think the saiga's are really under rated as everyone thinks there another inaccurate ak. The russians at izmash did focusing on making the saiga the most accurate of its ak brothers and they did it with sucess.

Edited by Unknown Poster