WTS a Geiger counter that is almost 20 years overdue for calibration. It uses a single D cell, and when switched to circuit check, the needle swings to the far right where it is supposed to. I do not have access to any sources of radiation that would register on this thing for a real test. $100 $90 shipped. This has been stored without a battery to keep the contacts free of corrosion, and will ship without a battery.

A worker at the nearby Ft. Calhoun nuclear plant looked at it, and told me it is basically only good for telling you how fucked you are - if it's registering, you're done. I don't know a whole lot about it. It's a big yellow box with a handle, dial, knob and Civil Defense calibration sticker. It appears to be in functional condition and the circuit check works - however, I cannot attest to the fitness of this device for any purpose. Much more complete information posted by others below. It is long overdue for calibration, and I've been told an active source is required for calibration. But it is really cool-looking!

Pics:

gallery_12961_659_1187177.jpg

Close-up of the dial:

gallery_12961_659_1018031.jpg

Calibration sticker:

gallery_12961_659_633227.jpg

Internals:

gallery_12961_659_1009086.jpg

Pics next to a Glock slide, Swedish Mauser bayonet etc. (also for sale, to be posted in another thread) for size comparison

gallery_12961_659_413750.jpg

Edited by Shandlanos

actually, with the scale, you can do more then tell if your screwed.

Read up a bit on them, you will be happy.

On a related note, see if you can contact someone at the nuke plant that does media relations.

They may be willing to pass that meter along to a radtech to caliberate it as a courtsey for you.

I know we used to do it for people back when I worked as a radtech

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info and interest! Great to know this could be practically tested and calibrated. Thanks for correcting my impression that it was only good for measuring how soon you'd die :D

Realisticly, I could easily pull a favor and have that calibrated for you. I just wish I had money to spend on something like this...

I don't.

Forgot to mention, I'm open to trades.

If my eyes are correct, the turn knob can go to x.01 of 1R. With increments of .1R on the dial, you can read down to 1mR (millirem or .001 R). Currently, The Nuclear Regulatory Commision allows radiation workers to receive up to 5 Rem (5000mR) per year radiation dose from working at nuclear facilities. That is a pretty neat find for someone, GLWS!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.