Saiga 308 Spare Parts...How Much Would You $Pay$?

Same question as in the Saiga 12 section. How much would you pay for custom machined tempered/hardened critical Saiga 308 spare/needed parts such as carriers, complete bolts, stripped bolt heads, extractors, plungers, firing pins, etc..

I may have found a regional shop that MAY be able to machine for us the critical currently non-available Saiga 308 parts. I need to know how many people would be interested and how much they would pay. HB of CJ (old coot)

I would be a customer for spare parts if the price isn't a crazy number . I would say that if the prices weren't to much more than the same part that is available for other ak platforms a lot of people would jump on board . But on the other hand since they have started importing again and a brand new rifle is 500 dollars . I wouldn't want to pay more for parts than I would a new rifle .

• Like 1

Given parts for the AK are high to begin with about the same as Kvar charges for the AK parts. I have a feeling one day we will wish we had sorted this out.

Given you get and entire rifle for about $500 including barrel and complete bolt and carrier it going to be tough to keep prices down.

Extractor, firing pin, and bolt are the major problems as the springs can be from other models.

But if we could get extractor and firing pin I d be happy.

Given parts for the AK are high to begin with about the same as Kvar charges for the AK parts. I have a feeling one day we will wish we had sorted this out.

Given you get and entire rifle for about $500 including barrel and complete bolt and carrier it going to be tough to keep prices down.

Extractor, firing pin, and bolt are the major problems as the springs can be from other models.

But if we could get extractor and firing pin I d be happy.

Ditto that!!!

Now the mayor cost, as usual, is when starting to make these parts but once you got them and people know (we know...eh!) then you'll see them moving. Especially when you are covering a nitch market. For example the firing pin is hard to find, but when you look at it is very simple to make.

Just produce some fews and to test the water. I'm sure you'll feel it quite warmed!!!!

Same question as in the Saiga 12 section. How much would you pay for custom machined tempered/hardened critical Saiga 308 spare/needed parts such as carriers, complete bolts, stripped bolt heads, extractors, plungers, firing pins, etc..

$70 bolt carrier, $80 complete bolt

$35 for firing pin. Nothing else is supposed to break before 10k rounds (by then the barrel is probably gone as well), so probably don't need to worry about those.

The reason firing pin can break early is...... dry firing.

Probably a good idea to dry fire an AK that has an easily replaceable firing pin rather than your S308.

I may have found a regional shop that MAY be able to machine for us the critical currently non-available Saiga 308 parts. I need to know how many people would be interested and how much they would pay. HB of CJ (old coot)

Just as a reminder, a new replacement bolt must headspace with a gap no wider than 0.003 of an inch or the rifle can blow up in your face. Headspacing requires adjusting the barrel position within the front trunnion. The new replacement bolt must also be checked for lug to trunnion lockup. The separate bolt lugs must make solid contact with the trunnion mating surface otherwise one lug will bear all the rear chamber thrust and at some point will crack and guess what could happen next? Bolts are not drop in ready parts and will probably require plenty of fitting. AK74 carriers should work in a Saiga .308 so why would I pay more than $20 for what a carrier would cost me through several other sources? I think spring loaded firing pins and extractors would be a niche product because these are most likely to need replacing and are not available.

AK74 carriers should work in a Saiga .308

Funny, mine looks different from a 74 bolt carrier.

Jim could your verify this for sure? I know they work for the 7.62x39, 5.45, and .223 saiga versions.

I don't have a .308 version yet otherwise I would have documented this with pictures.

Edited by my762buzz
AK74 carriers should work in a Saiga .308

Funny, mine looks different from a 74 bolt carrier.

Jim could your verify this for sure? I know they work for the 7.62x39, 5.45, and .223 saiga versions.

I don't have a .308 version yet otherwise I would have documented this with pictures.

I recently got a AK74 parts kit, while cleaning my 308 I grabbed the box of 74 parts the bolt(308) fits the bolt carrier (74) just fine mounted in the rifle and it functions perfectly back and forth (i did not fire the rifle). The only real difference I can see is the bottom of the carrier is narrower than the 308 and thats because the 74 has a much narrower round. Obvoiusly the bolt will not interchange.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked the saiga importer about a small parts kit for my saiga's but really got no answer.

I lube my saiga's with moly and they show no signs of wear yet. But i purchased 2 saiga's in 308 and 2 more in 223, but i also purchased 2 extra saiga's in 308 & in 223 for parts guns if i need parts someday which i may or may not need them. But at the time the importer stopped and changed hands so i figured we might never see them imported again plus the price was so cheap on my last 2 saiga's i couldn't pass them up. Moly my guns never leave home without it.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

I could sure use a 308 bolt... Let me know if this is still bring attempted plz, PM inbound

Edited by 308saiga

As My Post is now over one year old; probably OK to put it to bed. I was unable to get custom Saiga parts made. Even if they made a minimum of twenty (20) EACH, the price would have simply....wait for it....ASTROMONICIMAL!! I was quoted $150 for ONE extractor...more for stuff with various heat treatments. $OUCH$ Even then the bolts would have to be hand lapped in for correct headspace. Sorry...I tried to obey....it is difficult....PZZZHITT! (phaser) AUGHHHHHH! (death by phaser) HB of CJ (old coot) :( :( :(

• Like 1

I've been talking with RWC about parts replacements and he told me this is a top priority to them. I'll keep bugging him to stay on top of it. He claims this is something they've been working on for some time and told me to keep an eye on the site. There doesn't seem to be many updates on there though and I won't hold my breath. Who knows , maybe they'll come through now that IZHMASH seems to be rebounding some.

New IZHMASH products. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/12/13/big-news-izhmash-announces-saiga-9-9mm-and-civilian-ak-107-with-balanced-recoil/

Edited by HKaltwasser
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I talked with RWC again they still have no ETA on parts replacements. I'm losing my confidence at this point. I'm stuck like chuck because I have a barreled .308 receiver that I bought without a bolt group. I had been out of the Saiga game for a while was hoping it would be easier to find one. It's just collecting dust in my closet. I really wish I could find a bolt head. Sucks.

Edited by HKaltwasser