Shooting live pigeons is what they did in the old days, until the clay ones were invented. I don't really have a problem with it. What I do kinda have a problem with is the animals just going to waste. Why not just shoot doves or something that you can eat. If you're going to waste the animal, why not just use clay pigeons?

Also, hippies with cameras. That kinda goes unsaid.

• Like 1

Shooting live pigeons is what they did in the old days, until the clay ones were invented. I don't really have a problem with it. What I do kinda have a problem with is the animals just going to waste. Why not just shoot doves or something that you can eat. If you're going to waste the animal, why not just use clay pigeons?

Also, hippies with cameras. That kinda goes unsaid.

I agree. I've never been hunting so I'm not qualified to claim this is more cruel, but it's certainly more wasteful and needless. Hunting is what it is and it's sometimes necessary to cull, plus one typically eats their prey. What does one do if they are out hunting fowl and there is one still flapping around when they go to gather it? I certainly don't agree with letting an animal die a slow painful death if it can be prevented. I wonder if these birds are raised for this purpose, I suspect so. It does just seems that clay pigeons should be used.

You won't see me watching or participating in pigeon shoots. Its just wasteful and pointless.

Live bird shoots have long been a way of manipulating gambling. Preselected birds are released to insure the results of the shoot. The birds would either be drugged or have control feathers trimmed before the shoot. Not saying this always takes place, but it was the primary reason it was held onto after clays became available.

Live bird shoots don't give you uniform feedback on hits, whereas Clays give uniform feedback on pellet impacts.

• Like 4

What does one do if they are out hunting fowl and there is one still flapping around when they go to gather it?

break its neck

Depending on bird and shot placement most go down pretty easy. Most grouse a sharp pull takes the head right off should they still be flapping. Attempting to break a goose neck can get you in a world of hurt, as they are really strong and generally don't like having their necks broken. I suggest shooting geese dead before bringing them in your kayak.

I did watch the video... Weird. But birds can flap for almost 30 mins after having their head removed, chickens I've cleaned often still squirmed AFTER being cleaned to what you get in a store.

• Like 1

What a can of worms.

OK, first off the perv was a perv, nothing unique about that. Also, his chosen "hobby" has no relationship with his chosen sport. Politicians and teachers have been snagged doing far worse.

Hunting is different than shooting birds out of traps. I have hunted and didn't care for it but don't have a problem as long as the animal is being utilized. But spotlighting foxes is not what I consider "sporting" either. Paradoxically, I don't really have a problem with shooting pigeons as a manner of pest control. No different than killing rats, to me. I guess what does bother me is killing for the sake of killing. These birds can feel pain just like we can and therefore shouldn't be subjected to it needlessly.

JMO,

Tim

1) Pigeons are literally useless flying rats. Kill as many as you like, IMO. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to them actually killing them off, instead of letting them flop around in a pile.

2) I'll reiterate Russian Hammer's question: Why was the old man jerking off? You know what they say about the post-leak jiggle: If you jiggle it more than 3 times....you're playing with it.haha.gif

3) Lol @ the guy who clearly didn't want his picture taken.............but decided to go out of his way to stop, get out of his truck, and then jump in front of the camera. Common sense says that if you don't want to be on camera, then don't go out of your way to, ya know, be on camera.

4) Bloody hippies; Fuck yeah.

• Like 1

there are a couple of new sports that has most of the challenge (and yes fun) of the older style live bird shoots and doesn’t get the negative reaction from some of the public.

Sometimes called ZZ Bird http://ushelice.com/about.htm

http://www.doublegun...om/vintage4.htm

Normal clays fly in pretty much a straight line at a constant speed, once you see which way it’s going it’s not hard to get on it do the ‘butt, beak, bang shot” to break it. Live birds do more changes in speed and direction but they’re not going 60 mph at take off.

Edited by 20-Mags

We have a guy in town who offers caged pigeon hunts like this. He takes his clients a few miles out of town to the desert, where no one can see what he does. The dead birds are left behind and eaten by bobcats, coyotes, ring tails and foxes. I don't find this type of shooting ethical or sporting. When I was young my friends and I would shoot crows with our pellet rifles from my backyard because they had a bounty. Now, my son does the same with pigeons. Lots of fun, ethical, sporting and good pest control.

Pigeons crap all over everything. I don't like them. They're detrimental to farmers. Wingshooting them is something we've always done to keep them out of the barns, off equipment, and from shitting in and eating the livestock feed. They are sporting pests.

When I was a kid, my Dad used to go help a friend shoot the pigeons that would descend on his corn field. Corn fed pigeon makes a damned good pigeon pie!

I haven't had that since I was a kid. Makes me want to try some of these.....http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-01423j.html

The ravens and owls take care of the pigeons now.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1