Been in the market for a Saiga 12 for a few years now..

I've been in the market for a Saiga 12 for a few years now.. I've been very interested in this gun for a good while. Just haven't had the funds.

Now that I have some serious income (after upgrading my AR15 to the point where I'm happy with it) I'm looking at actually getting one of these beauties. I've done a fair amount of research on the S12 but I thought it would be fairly prudent to ask the community here for some pointers.

Before that, though, please note that I'm not in possession of any kind of gun smithing tools nor do I have the ability\experience to do such modifications on my lonesome. So where should I acquire a converted Saiga? Should I buy a stock Saiga and then send it off or merely buy a pre-custom unit (Tromix, etc)?

Are there any outlets or individuals which are far and away superior to other offerings that I should seriously consider? (who are your go-to guys for this stuff?) Also, what modifications are the most highly recommended by you gents? Magwells? etc.

I'm open to any help I can get and I'm very appreciative.

Read the forum, there are many others like you, a few times a week there is the same post by some other noob021.gif Anyone is capable of doing the restoration, if you really can't do it yourself, you probably shouldn't own a gun. Good news is, you can do this and should do this yourself. Read up on the forum and welcome aboardbeer.gif There are many knowledgeable members that can offer help if needed.

• Like 1

Anyone is capable of doing the restoration, if you really can't do it yourself, you probably shouldn't own a gun. Good news is, you can do this and should do this yourself.

^ This..

If you do not own a drill, pliers, small vice grips, center punch, and a screw driver you should probably question your man hood.

Well this was a pretty piss poor first impression of the board. Look, just because I'm 21 and just out on my own and don't have a ton of tools laying around doesn't mean I shouldn't own a gun. I work over 40hours a week and I'm a full time student.

As for questioning my manhood. Get back to me when you can bench 300lbs and do 90 push ups daily.

Wonderful people.

Well this was a pretty piss poor first impression of the board. Look, just because I'm 21 and just out on my own and don't have a ton of tools laying around doesn't mean I shouldn't own a gun. I work over 40hours a week and I'm a full time student.

As for questioning my manhood. Get back to me when you can bench 300lbs and do 90 push ups daily.

Wonderful people.

Aaah...don't get too serious. There's a lot of good info on this forum. And we're mostly good guys.

Go through some of the older threads and you'll probably find a dozen different answers to your queery.

Those of us that have done our own conversions, found the sticky 'how to do its' and jumped right in.

It ain't rocket science plus you'll get the satisfaction that you did it yourself.

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

Will

Wonderful people.

I was just giving you a little shit, I gave you a welcome aboard and tried to give you some encouragement to do it yourself032.gif The only thing you need is a drill, if you don't have one, now is a great time to buy one with the holiday sales!

I've been planning on a saiga and around this forum for awhile. I planned to get one last year at $450 but when the time came the ban panic hit. There are benefits to both options. I don't agree with always opting to do it yourself because there are things that the pros can do most can't. They tune your saiga to run with most ammo and also weld the trigger guard,holes, and the stock adapter if you use one. Most people also don't have the capability to sandblast and refinish there gun. On the other hand it is very simple to convert watch the videos on http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront. Plus the money you save doing it yourself will save you enough money to buy the simple tools needed. I plan to convert one myself when the time comes just because I will be proud to say I did that.

Wonderful people.

I was just giving you a little shit, I gave you a welcome aboard and tried to give you some encouragement to do it yourself032.gif The only thing you need is a drill, if you don't have one, now is a great time to buy one with the holiday sales!

Sounds like his intimidation tactic worked on you wink.png.

C'mon OP, you need to have thick skin to match your strength.

Anyways, no I do not intend on most of these modifications myself. I have neither the time, the tools, or the experience. Mostly the first.

OK now we're back in business... It is always good to know the mechanics of your own gun. It's not that hard to convert and as for the tools, you can always borrow some just for the conversion. If you send it out it will cost you bank. It's your choice.

What I did was gather up all the parts, then searched for a smith that would do the job as I was looking for a shop to convert my S12 I was also buying the tools necessary to do the job.(you can always use those tools for something else/good investment.) I took me 3 mos. to get all the parts and tools. I finally decided to do it myself.

I don't frequently post here, but I'm sure we have a gunsmithing how to sticky around.

Wonderful people.

Frankly, ignore any negative bullshit or anything that you might perceive as negative. Welcome aboard. Do you have any friends/relatives nearby that are "handy" and have a few basic tools? If not, there may be a member nearby you that would help or do it for you. However, they will never know that they are near you if you do not update your profile with your location. I would be willing to bet that there is a fairly skilled member within 30 miles of you.

If you do not have any friends that are "handy" and do not want to disclose your location, you will need to pay for a professional conversion.

What is your budget and what parts do you want?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Wonderful people.

"Non carborundum illigitimi est"

Or something close- Latin for "Don't let the bastards wear you out!"

We have our share of 'nettards here, but most of us are good people willing to help. If you are anywhere near MD give a holler, if not there are a bazillion good people here willing to share what they know. Read up on old posts and use the search function. Ignore those who speak out of the brown mouth and listen carefully to those who have actually DONE something!

If your dead set on NOT doing the work yourself, we have a number of forum sponsors that offer conversions.

Tromix

Red Jacket

Tac-47

JT Engineering

R&R Targets

Cadiz Gun Works

Lone Star Arms

C&S Metal-Werks

You'll find many of them distinguish themselves with a individual style and approach to the S-12. Find what one you like the most and open up your wallet.

HAHAH!

You seriously turned it into how much I can bench press. It was a joke. Calm down hulk. Most people have a set of pliers, and a drill. If you don't, simply go buy some. How will you fix the leg of a chair when it breaks?

No offense to the OP, but that hulk shit is funny. lol

How will you fix the leg of a chair when it breaks?Duct tape

HAHAH!

You seriously turned it into how much I can bench press. It was a joke. Calm down hulk. Most people have a set of pliers, and a drill. If you don't, simply go buy some. How will you fix the leg of a chair when it breaks?

No offense to the OP, but that hulk shit is funny. lol

How will you fix the leg of a chair when it breaks?Duct tape

Duct tape is for amateurs.Hot glue can mend everything from a broken heart to a flat tire.

I was in a similar situation just a few weeks ago; with limited time, tools, experience and me wanting a professional to do the job right the first time. I went down to my LGS and was just about to drop off my Saiga, when the smith informed me it would be 2-3 weeks before he could get it done. I paused for a second, thought about the sleepless nights I would have waiting for my converted saiga to return...I took my saiga home with all my parts, and converted it that same night....its not hard. Being able to work on the Saiga will come in handy in the future if any issues come up.

If your dead set on NOT doing the work yourself, we have a number of forum sponsors that offer conversions.

Tromix

Red Jacket

Tac-47

JT Engineering

R&R Targets

Cadiz Gun Works

Lone Star Arms

C&S Metal-Werks

You'll find many of them distinguish themselves with a individual style and approach to the S-12. Find what one you like the most and open up your wallet.

^ this, When i first was interested in the saiga, years ago, I was in the same boat, i was working 60-70 hours a week and barely had time to find someplace that had one in stock. This forum was a great help, and after some looking, I called Tromix, and ordered exactly what i wanted. Ive converted a couple since, but I do not, in any way, regret paying Tony for his excellent work, and its the only S12 i still have.