Tips for Coyote Hunting/Removal..??

Going to brother in laws new 25 acres in upstate NY this coming weekend..

Says his county has coyote issues..

What ammo should I get for them in the 223/556 caliber??

Anything special of just hit them direct up front with standard 223/556 55g FMJ??

I got a scope and an AR and can do 1 MOA or so with it..

Suggestions and shot placement tips appreciated.. (from other Yote' hunters)

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 1

I just went out yesterday, No success, too late in the day. I brought my AR. I was just shooting 5.56FMJ. I will be heading up to Kingman, Az to go shooting with my uncle sometime in January. We just used a coyote call app on my phone plugged into a stereo. Not too good with voice calls yet. Ive read that its best to go in the early mornings or anytime at night if law permits. Not sure if you'll have that problem it your in a secluded area?

Thanks folks thus far..

I'm hoping to get a few over the 3 day weekend..

I shoot out to 200 yards normally with 0 issues and small 'groups'.. so I should be GTG.

I'd order some HP ammo for it but don't really have time to get it..

Bringing my pistol along for a backup... you never know..

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose you've already left for this trip, if not try to find a wounded rabbit call or a yote call. If your not shooting for fur go nuts on'em with follow up shots. Been using an AR pistol with great effect the past year+ (as well as 3 taken down with a G20), I used HPs but don't think it would've made a difference what I used.

Shot placement to save for fur should be slightly above the shoulder and a few inches back, you'll catch the heart or lungs for sure. Leave head shots alone....they are eeerrrrr, ummmm rather messy in comparison and it's a rather easy shot to miss considering yotes heads are usually on the swivel/lookout.

You'll be fine with .223/5.56 55gr. FMJ. I prefer 22-250 HP and a 12ga. with #4 Buck for 20-50 yrd shots. These predators need to be controlled, good luck and have fun.

+1

Ditto here. I killed a few in TX with both. While Turkey hunting in the mornings I killed several with #12 ga #4's when up close (20-40 yards), and long range with a .22-250. Both will dispatch them quite easily.

Alwase rember they have a dog sence of smell. Stay downwind in what ever set up you try. They will try and circle to get a smell if they are leary. Also one of those wigle tails and a electronic call work great together.