I have been about half way thinking about getting a SBS. I have a Saiga 12 and Saiga .410. So I was thinking maybe get a 20 ga to make a SBS. Thoughts? Is one gauge better or worse?

Then the legal requirements. The CLEO in my county will not sign for a suppressor so I expect he will not sign for a SBS (just assuming). For a suppressor, you can still obtain the proper BATF tax stamp for transfering a suppressor to an existing living trust. Anyone know if a SBS could be obtained through the same route?

For a suppressor, you can still obtain the proper BATF tax stamp for transfering a suppressor to an existing living trust. Anyone know if a SBS could be obtained through the same route?

Yes. I'd go for another S12 if you are ponying up the cash for the build and the stamp

I have been about half way thinking about getting a SBS. I have a Saiga 12 and Saiga .410. So I was thinking maybe get a 20 ga to make a SBS. Thoughts? Is one gauge better or worse?

Not sure which is better or worse but I would go with S12. Cheaper ammo, more powerful round. Most reliable I would think. It does have a forum named after it. Just my opinion. I have had no experience with the s410 or s20. I want to SBS a 410 and s12. Look in my gallery. Future projects.

Then the legal requirements. The CLEO in my county will not sign for a suppressor so I expect he will not sign for a SBS (just assuming). For a suppressor, you can still obtain the proper BATF tax stamp for transfering a suppressor to an existing living trust. Anyone know if a SBS could be obtained through the same route?

Mine will sign for an sbr/sbs but I've heard not a supressor. So you never know unless you ask/try.

Edited by AZG

One other question (for now). Is a stock of some type required, legally. I was thinking no stock.

Why go with no stock? You are already paying for the tax stamp and a stock is neccesarry on anything other than a range toy and room to room extreme cqb gun. why not just go folder and have the best of both worlds? If you want something with no stock to blast away ammo at the range buy a Draco and save yourself the tax stamp wait time and fee.JMO

One other question (for now). Is a stock of some type required, legally. I was thinking no stock.

If ever had a stock it's a SBS forever, even if you take the stock off. $200. If you want a AOW (without a stock) it's $5 stamp, but requires you build the receiver from scratch. Tom Cole makes one ...

If ever had a stock it's a SBS forever, even if you take the stock off. $200. If you want a AOW (without a stock) it's $5 stamp, but requires you build the receiver from scratch. Tom Cole makes one ...

This, even if you decide to make your own receiver from scratch it's still $200 for the Form 1 for an AOW. Only the Form 4 is $5 for an AOW. The stock isn't legally required for an SBS. You could always have a plate welded on the back, then drilled and tapped for the ACE style stocks. Just use a couple of button head screws to plug the holes until you decide that you want to put the stock on.

Wow, I was not even aware of the Draco. Done. Classic arms is almost in my backyard. The little hard chromed Draco is calling my name. They have some excellent deals on Saiga's also. And how about the AR-15 .410 shot gun.

Christmas is here.

http://classicarms.us/shotguns%20and%20handguns.htm

Thanks for the tip!

Wow, I was not even aware of the Draco. Done. Classic arms is almost in my backyard. The little hard chromed Draco is calling my name. They have some excellent deals on Saiga's also. And how about the AR-15 .410 shot gun.

Christmas is here.

http://classicarms.us/shotguns%20and%20handguns.htm

Thanks for the tip!

Good choice

You can submit your form four whenever you want and forget about it. Then when then stamp comes in you can drill and tap for an ace folder and have an SBR. That's if you wanna go that route. Which I would. Becuase then it really becomes a fighting firearm.

• 5 weeks later...

Good choice

You can submit your form four whenever you want and forget about it. Then when then stamp comes in you can drill and tap for an ace folder and have an SBR. That's if you wanna go that route. Which I would. Becuase then it really becomes a fighting firearm.

You need a Form 1 to build a SBR/SBS. Form 4 is a transfer for one already built.

Yup, you cannot get it transfered to you on a form 4 until it is registered on a form 2 by a SOT. You can send it to SOT to be made into a SBS and then transfered back to you on a form 4.

You can also get a form 1 and send it to a SOT to have it made into a SBS, though you need to get all the details worked out ahead of your sending the form and check in.

If it is made on a form 1 it will have your name or name of your trust and the town you live in engaved into it.

On a form 4 it will have the name of the SOT that did the work.

Yup, you cannot get it transfered to you on a form 4 until it is registered on a form 2 by a SOT. You can send it to SOT to be made into a SBS and then transfered back to you on a form 4.

You can also get a form 1 and send it to a SOT to have it made into a SBS, though you need to get all the details worked out ahead of your sending the form and check in.

If it is made on a form 1 it will have your name or name of your trust and the town you live in engaved into it.

On a form 4 it will have the name of the SOT that did the work.

You don't have to pay the $200 manufacturing tax if an FFL does the work, correct? Just the $5 transfer?

ETA: For an AOW I mean, not an SBS

Edited by go4tze

Yup. It's just a $5 transfer to you.

However, the NFA says no 'shotgun' can be made into AOW. To make an AOW it must NEVER have had a stock attached. With an S12 that requires either a virgin reciever (good luck with getting one from Russia...) or having someone machine a reciever for you, or something else.

In terms of "something else", someone on this board said that they have an ATF letter that allowed them to create an AOW out of a shotgun by machining off and rebuilding the trunion. Which seems to me be crazy, but the ATF works in mysterious ways. They also have a history of occasionally saying "never mind" and then revoking letters.

Edited by KevinInNM