So...how many of you have shot the BHO spring across the room

So I was reassembling the S12 last night after polishing the hammer and sear. I was at work.......which is a decent sized machine shop. I had the BHO spring held with some needle nose pliers, I thought I had the axis pin through the loop in the spring so I let go with the pliers and the spring shot past my head and behind one of two CNC lathes. I looked for about an hour with no luck......of course all the metal chips around the shop didn't help. Man was I frustrated. I was afraid I wouldn't have one for the weekend when I 'll be shooting. I ordered two more last night......with the intention of loosing at least one more in the near future. Luckily CSS rocks and the should be here thursday. big_smile.gif

havent done that one but ive lost the selector detent spring where on my ar where the grip meets the receiver. Took me a good couple hours to find it. wont make that mistake again. happy.png

+1 Its pretty common, and thats why most LPKs have an extra detent spring just for that reason.

havent done that one but ive lost the selector detent spring where on my ar where the grip meets the receiver. Took me a good couple hours to find it. wont make that mistake again. happy.png

+1 Its pretty common, and thats why most LPKs have an extra detent spring just for that reason.

yeah, had to retrace steps and move a whole bunch of stuff to get to it but am glad I found it. I hate ordering small little parts.

Me. Had it shoot out, hit my toolbox and fall in the floor beside my lathe at work. Found it about two hours later coming back from lunch. Just happened to see it as I was walking up. Went to the bathroom to try installing it again so it didn't have far to fly the next time.

Me too!!!! on the last 2 conversion I launched them glad I bought spares. I learned to have spare springs from my AR builds I never lost the grip detent spring but I have lost several front takdown detent springs and the rear one once changing buttstocks.

happened to my on my 1911 first time i took it apart, i took the safety off and the spring flew out but i found it fast.

bad one was when i was changing the clutch on my car there is this wire spring that holds the throw out bearing to the lever and it went flying when i tried to remove it. well spend 3 hours looking and gave up i tried looking for the piece online and its no where to be found.... had a friend come over and he spotted it in less then 5 min.......

anyway its always good to have someone help you sometimes they see things you cant.

Im guilty of that as well. It was a real sob to find. I had to comb the floor with a magnet lol

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with the BHO spring was pretty rough, if i didn't wear glasses i would probably be wearing an eye patch right noweyes_droped.gif yep.. it popped right up into my face and bounced off of my glasses' lens and it wasn't a light bounce either.

Edited by Corruptz0rz

Never, but I cursed it a lot when I did my first conversion. Doesn't bother me now and takes all of about 45 seconds to get it where it needs to be. No strings or other gay hoodoo necessary. Buy a set of picks (real tools, lol). There is a Kobalt screwdriver set at Lowes that has a decent set of pics within it. They come in handy for all sorts of spring related precedures.

I used a different technique when installing the BHO.

Instead what I did was install trigger, placed BHO and BHO spring at the end of the axis pin. After I snapped the axis pin in, I used a little hook tool to lift the small end of the spring up and over the ledge of the BHO to create the spring tension. Ive done this a bunch of times now, and takes seconds to do.

Edited by SDRider

Never had one try to escape, but like evl ive called it every name under the sun.

+1 After that first time, I had to find an easier way. It was ridiculous.

I almost forgot one of the best things that use for doing things like this.... an adjustable bench mounted light. It seems like when we are doing things like this, the workpiece has to be positioned so that the light shines where it is needed, but that never seems to be ideal for actually doing the work. I think my light was about $20 at Walmart and has been one of my best investments. I position the work in the ideal position for actually performing it, and adjust the light to the piece.

• Like 1

Sure did. Gone forever. Heard it hit the wall about 12' away during conversion, no f'in clue where it landed. Months later ordered a new spring, got it in ok. But now the bho wants to stick when i engage it so ill probably go for a notched safety or just keep going without it and remove it all together. Good luck rob lol.