What do we know about I.O. ?

I have seen these online. I like the looks of the one with the HK front sight. Love the HG on it, but I've never shot or handled one. One of my LGS has some standard AK I.O.s in stock for 500 or so.

I never seem to see any mention of them here in the saiga forums. I see Century mentioned all the time good or bad.

So, I'm wondering what is ya'lls experience with the products or customer service with these people?

Wanted one for a while, read some bad reviews and they spiked prices so I'm not going that route anytime soon. Started looking into them because every piece of their AKM is built in America from Polish blueprints [and possibly equipment], which throws 922r out the window. Thought that was pretty cool. That and when I started shopping for an AK last year, their wood version cost $400 new vs a WASR for $350. Now it's nearly twice that [i'm pretty sure MSRP is $700+ now], and given the poor reviews I've seen, I wouldn't buy without having a gunsmith check it out first. Again, US-parts AK is a really cool feature, but not if they turn out junk.

They're hit or miss. I know people that have reliable reasonably accurate ones, and people with horror stories.

I can tell you if your into dumping a lot of media downrange those handguards don't take to heat much better(if at all) than the stock saiga handguards. Its unfortunate, as I too find the poly handguards they have visualy apealing.

They're hit or miss. I know people that have reliable reasonably accurate ones, and people with horror stories.

I can tell you if your into dumping a lot of media downrange those handguards don't take to heat much better(if at all) than the stock saiga handguards. Its unfortunate, as I too find the poly handguards they have visualy apealing.

Second on the hot handguard. I own a STG2000, it's a nice shooter. I've been meaning to make a heatshield for it.

Had stg2000c loved the looks pretty accurate. FTF FTE all day long canted gas block front sight block sold it a week later. The hand guards look cool but are very cheap. I handled 3 more in gun stores since then one was bent up more than any wasr i have ever seen the other two bolt carriers would hang up very bad in the reciever.

I have looked for the hand guards online. I would like to get one and use it (at least) as a guide for building a wooden one.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

My STG 2000C has been one of the good ones, but even it has had a couple of minor issues. Front sight block was canted. Not terrible, but I finally took it to a local gunsmith to get it straightened out. The only other issue was the side rail. The rivets holding it on were not seated well, and it shot loose enough where it could be slightly moved by hand. That issue I am correcting myself.

Plus side. Accurate for an AK. Never had single issue with fail to feed or fail to eject. Has eaten everything I've fed it ammo wise. The blued finish on my gun is excellent, and the gun itself is striking visually. Yeah, the hand guards on it heat up fairly quick, but wearing gloves when I shoot I never even notice it.

Added an East German folding stock to mine:

mystg2000c.jpg

Would I buy one again after hearing all the horror stories? Probably not unless I could examine it first...when put together correctly these are decent rifles...

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Owned one of there STG-2000-c's and it wasn't worth the 350.00 I spent the plastic hand guard broke completely off the first 30rnd's I put threw it the stock was flimsy and it down rite sucked I sold it to a guy for 650.00 and didn't look back I'd rather stick with my cheap WASR 10-63 just my experience with them I also tried to get a replacement hand guard from them and well costumer service is less than par needless to say I didn't get one

I ordered a STG2000C from Centerfire back in either 06 or 07. I was completely underwhelmed at what I got for the money. The magwell looked like it had been chewed open by a rat. So, I took my kick in the balls and returned it to centerfire (minus their 10% restocking fee) and vowed against Centerfire and IO.

I decided STG2000C must stand for Shit Turd Gun 2000 Crap

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I could write-up a detailed review of my I.O. AK47-C if anyone is interested.

The gist of it: It was a completely unreliable POS with many issues when I first got it. Dealt with shitty customer service for about six weeks while I ended up fixing the damn thing myself. Fortunately it's now a deadly reliable and accurate shooter. Still, I would recommend everyone stay far away from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the stuff I read here is comical.

"stock was flimsy"...funny, when I put the East German folder on mine I transferred that "flimsy" stock over to my S12 where it has 500+ 12 gauge rounds through it without ANY kind of problem.

"magwell looked like it had been chewed open by a rat"...no issues with my magwell at all. The rifle takes Bulgarian Circle 10 mags, Finnish Valmet mags, East European steel AK mags, Chinese steel AK mags, and even the Thermold Ak mag without any issues. All fit tight and work fine, no wobble, no slop.

"bent up more than any wasr i have ever seen"... funny, every wasr I've ever seen is a POS.

BTW, had no issues with either IO INC or Royal Tiger's customer service.

Maybe I did get a good one before they went downhill, but some of the stuff I'm reading here makes me wonder if you guys are even talking about the same rifle as the one I own...rolleyes.gif

Some of the stuff I read here is comical.

Glad you could find some humor here, because my experience with I.O. certainly wasn't funny.

"stock was flimsy"...funny, when I put the East German folder on mine I transferred that "flimsy" stock over to my S12 where it has 500+ 12 gauge rounds through it without ANY kind of problem.

I actually like the stocks I.O. uses on their AKs, it's the only piece of original furniture that has managed to remain on my AK so far. However, it doesn't compare to a good quality polymer stock like K-Var for example. The receiver fit was pretty sloppy, large burrs were left over from manufacturing, the glued-in rubber butt piece came loose after about three mags, the sling loop isn't welded together...

"magwell looked like it had been chewed open by a rat"...no issues with my magwell at all. The rifle takes Bulgarian Circle 10 mags, Finnish Valmet mags, East European steel AK mags, Chinese steel AK mags, and even the Thermold Ak mag without any issues. All fit tight and work fine, no wobble, no slop.

Agreed. IO at least a good job on the magwell . Every mag I have tried has fit great.

"bent up more than any wasr i have ever seen"... funny, every wasr I've ever seen is a POS.

Well, my IO had a canted front sight that covered a good amount of the barrel threads. Then there's the dust cover that would pop off every few shots, none of the rear trunnion rivets are flush (actually had to grind one down to attach a mount to the side rail), receiver is slightly bowed near the magwell, trigger pin holes are too big... I'm sure there's more that I am forgetting. Other than the canted front sight, I haven't really heard about those same problems with WASRs.

BTW, had no issues with either IO INC or Royal Tiger's customer service.

Good for you. I tried to contact I.O. for several weeks by phone but could never get a hold of anyone. After many attempts, I did finally get one reply via e-mail, so there's that. Decided I would be better off to fix the rifle myself than send it back to them, and wonder if I would ever see my rifle again.

Maybe I got mine before the fall. Sorry your results were not as good...

From what I can find on the net, they've always seemed to be hit-or-miss. I managed to get a hands-on look at a few more IO rifles about nine months after I bought mine in May '11. Didn't really get to go over them with a magnifying glass, but two looked like they were decent builds. One was completely fucked up, worse than mine. Canted gas block, rust, poor riveting, etc. I get the feeling that some of IO's employees are only there to punch a timeclock. Glad you got a good one.

• Like 1

I looked at one once in a BIG 5 that had rust on it, all over the place. There was some white crusty substance around all of the rivets. They wanted $600 for it, and that was about three years ago.

That's what happens when the rifles sit on the shelves for a long time and the store doesn't maintain them. I've seen that happen on all kinds of AK variants, not just IO rifles.

All you have to do is a quick search of IO and everyone is saying the exact same shit as us. I dont know whats so unbeliveable about it. Iraqveteren8888 has said they have had IO's with rivets falling out. I told my LGS to stop carrying them because the one handed to me had the FSB in the 10 O clock position. Thier neglect to properly assemble there AK's and quality control is downright absurd and they are just asking for a lawsuit with the dangerous products they sell.

• 2 weeks later...

My Stg2000 has been a great gun, magwell fit is sloppy, but it has always worked and is fairly accurate for a 7.62x39. A friend of my has one and it was crap -- Front sight block was canted, mag fit was worse than on my gun, gas tube was loose, and it printed a 39" group at 50 yards.

I have heard their guns are getting better, but I dont have the money to test that statement.