Heath I fully understand where your looking at this. Thats honestly why I put my initial candidate out as a Contact truck. If you have a plow(for snow) a winch(to get others UN-STUCK) enough lift and tire to keep yourself from getting stuck, a Welder(to weld metal, Fab and Fix) Air Compressor(pneumatic tools are life savers) And Generator(power) all in one mobile unit your valuable to anyone who needs those services or the accompanying skills.

Not only would it be self sufficient, it would be a rolling business on wheels. Useful in ANY situation.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

does this count? lol

Back to vehicles and accessories. I forgot to mention a Hilift jack. You can lift, pull, spread, and clamp with them. Great for trail fixes. I've seen someone use the handle to trail fix a busted

I have always liked 4x4 vans that I see. Seems like a cool spacious rig, but as with my 4runner, if it's inside the truck, " it will eventually hit your head" as we say when going off-road, so maybe a

Posted Images

Heath has some great suggestions.

I know mercedes has some diesel engines in some of its older cars that might be found in junkyards too. I have seen those converted to bio-diesel also.

The only conversion required for actual biodiesel is new fuel lines, and replacing the fuel filter after about 2 months. Biodiesel will clean out your fuel system, and any old lines and rubber seals will get dissolved.

Waste veggie oil is a different story.

You can call the Polaris a toy, but it's 1500lbs empty, GVW of ~3500, and with the amphib body and prop it will go anywhere. It won't go quickly top speed is 80kph, but it will go. Also, lots of those Polaris 4-seaters around, so lots of spare parts. And it gets about 55 mpg. It's flaw is that it's pretty obvious, so once you've been made by the warlord, you're screwed. But it's really mobile until you get in trouble with the local warlord.

But yes, for a true post-apocalyptic transport, I want a deuce-and-a-half, with a couple diesel bikes and that Polaris 'toy' for outriders and point. Or a HEMTT with the army's machine-shop-in-a-box on the back!

well, after reading this, i think as an option, id go with a rail buggy. these have many great uses.

railbuggy.jpg

my buddy builds these things but his are a tad bigger in the rear with a vw motor and a stick-a-matic tranny. take them to windrock down here an im amazed at how well these things do off road on trails that would make some sick.

for gas milage, its there. lots of attatchment points to tie gear down, and easy to set one up for hauling. for the price, they are hard to beat.

but these wouldnt be the best choice for some.

just a suggestion.

Edited by Captain Hero

Sand rails are good.... as scouts, light fast attack, and escape and evasion over loose terrain heavier transport would get stuck in.

It can't haul, it can't handle bad weather well, and it can't carry effective armor. If you think of it as a 2-4 person dirt bike, it's utility becomes questionable in all but a few AO's... but in it's element it could be king.

i still think they're cool though...

Seen some old dump trucks that have been modified into make shift APCs. I could see a Deuce and a half being a good starter for that but it would really shine as a work truck, especially with a generator, compressor, winch, plow and a crane. Add some flood light and system that heats water using your engine (saw a guy do this to his jeep so he could take hot showers while camping, consisted of a 12v water pump, garden hose and a heat exchange on the radiator hose)

I've always joked a short bus would be great, especially one that has the wheel chair lift so you can lift cargo into it. Bus would have a enough room for a small kitchen, bed and some room for storage. Pull the seats out, insulate the cab, add extended fuel tanks, camp stove and a heater and you practically have a mobile home.

Edited by Rusty truck
  • Like 1

I've seen several full-length school buses converted into mobile homes up in northern Idaho, just none with the wheelchair lift.

The problem with those sand rails is that they aren't street legal, so you can't drive them around under normal conditions (and see what breaks under different use).

That's why I would need several old VW bug VIN plates.

Rails are pretty easy to get street legal as Heath said. Heath also made a valid point that you won't be hauling much with a rail, they can be skinned pretty easily if you have basic welding skills and want to weatherize/ add protection some what, I don't think you could add to much armor to it without loosing the goal of keeping it light weight. They are better for off road in areas where soft soil/boggy areas are and are easier to maintain for the guy that doesn't have the mechanical skills (inset me here) to work on as a 6x6. Everyones choice is AO dependant. Where I live a Sand rail or a deuce whould do well, as well as Rustys idea (which is some pretty bad ass ingenuity by the way!).

If we take the rules of three approach to this then it truly makes sense to have more then one way to get around. Basically running your big vehicle till you can't go anymore and then switching to a 4 wheeler, dirt bike, rokon or other ATV. After that you go with good old fashioned boots on the ground.

One more thought for anyone who lives near larger bodys of water and rivers. A boat is a big bonus, one that could handle a light ATV would be a HUGE bonus. Sea eagle offers some interesting ones that can fit in a car trunk. http://www.seaeagle.com/ I've had my eye on the foldcat for awhile.

Rails are pretty easy to get street legal as Heath said. Heath also made a valid point that you won't be hauling much with a rail, they can be skinned pretty easily if you have basic welding skills and want to weatherize/ add protection some what, I don't think you could add to much armor to it without loosing the goal of keeping it light weight. They are better for off road in areas where soft soil/boggy areas are and are easier to maintain for the guy that doesn't have the mechanical skills (inset me here) to work on as a 6x6. Everyones choice is AO dependant. Where I live a Sand rail or a deuce whould do well, as well as Rustys idea (which is some pretty bad ass ingenuity by the way!).

If we take the rules of three approach to this then it truly makes sense to have more then one way to get around. Basically running your big vehicle till you can't go anymore and then switching to a 4 wheeler, dirt bike, rokon or other ATV. After that you go with good old fashioned boots on the ground.

One more thought for anyone who lives near larger bodys of water and rivers. A boat is a big bonus, one that could handle a light ATV would be a HUGE bonus. Sea eagle offers some interesting ones that can fit in a car trunk. http://www.seaeagle.com/ I've had my eye on the foldcat for awhile.

Good idea having floatation on board if you are anticipating traversing near water, however it's not likely any kind of managable inflatable would be able carry an atv and still maintain buoyancy and stability. Having a raft that could be packed on or behind the atv would be more practical, with the idea that the atv would need to be left behind if you are forced to go waterborne. I've been in some scary situations in flat water in a 14 foot whitewater raft that is normally ultra stable. The problem is strong currents mixed with shallow water or snags will do you in in a heartbeat if you are overloaded or have a high center of gravity. I was puckered so hard you couldn't have drove a two penny nail up my ass with a twenty pound sledge. You don't want to go there.

Edited by DogMan

Yarp, I can walk you through any repairs you would need on the Deuce, as well as get you all of the manuals for free.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty. That's about it. These trucks were designed to be "soldier proof."

Also, get on SteelSoldiers.com and I can introduce you to some of the coolest people you will ever meet who can help. Repairs, breakdowns, parts... it's a mutual aid group that does a shitload of charity work, and where the SHTF thread is 6months old with 2000+ posts of the best info you will find ANYWHERE. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/71453-bug-out-plans.html

If you want, I'll take you for a spin this spring. Drive mine, meet the guys, and if you want one I can make that happen as well. (We are going to be having a bit of a race in May, so I'm building a water injection system for mine after she gets painted. ) There are more guys by you than me actually.

I guess it all depends on where your going. My opinion is a mildly built Jeep Cherokee. They are easily obtained by the average guy. Easy to work on. There are millions of them laying around the states. They can squeeze threw the woods and have plenty of cargo space both inside and on top in a roof rack. If you could find a diesel one that would be the tits. Many different makes parts can work on them and they go any where. I keep this in mind knowing that I am going places that roads are not.

I am also thinking security. A motor bike or open side vehicle would be easy to get into. A closed vehicle someoen would atleast have to make noise to get to you or your supplies.

• Like 1

Damnation Alley!!!!!!! It still exists and it was a REAL truck. It really was amphibious... and it really was built with the parts as described in the movie. The "LandMaster"...

Thank you for posting this!

landmaster2.jpg

Thanks. I was actually surprised that nobody else beat me to it. The movie was a childhood favorite as was the vehicle.

That beast was one of the reasons I bought my truck. So many influencing factors... My deuce doesn't float, but she'll pull a lot of things that do. Maybe someday I'll build something like that.. or this...

Dobbertin-Surface-Orbiter-www.uberreview.com_.jpg

Spring can't get here soon enough. My baby comes home Feb 4th... and I have until May to get her painted and tuned for the rally... when I'm not working or doing school work, that is.

If you can weld, weld a wire cutter with a guide on the front like a helicopter has. Wires have been used to disable vehicles in more than one war. Going 40 miles an hour you cannot see a wire at night, one thick enough to cut the top of a vehicle off, thereby disabling everyone inside, or decapitating, would for a light weight vehicle be only 1/2 inches thick braided steel cable stretched very tight between two anchors.

a41.gif

...I'm a licensed mechanic and can fix that thing in my sleep...

Where do you live that you need a license to pull wrenches?

Edited by inflightmissiletech

Where do you live that you need a license to pull wrenches?

Michigan. State certification is done here right through the Secretary of State office. I'm also an ASE certified parts tech, and the better wrenches still get ASE certified as well.

Cable cutters are good for helos, but I would be concerned about snagging them on a truck. A cage like brush firetrucks have would do the same job... not cutting, but keeping you safe.I' don't know... food for thought.

My ideal vehicle would be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse

I really wish I had one of these more than anything else... but they're a big investment. However, for tough times you can't beat em. They don't need parts or gasoline... just water and food and a lot of attention.

The wire cutter is a good idea. When I was a gunner I hated low hanging wires. We mounted pvc pipe on the turrets to guide the wire over the truck (locals get mad when you start cutting their power cables)

Earlier this year we had some tornadoes go through a subdivision near by. Took awhile to clear the roads and drive ways of all the downed trees and debris so we could get into help people. A chain saw, logging chains or nylon straps where invaluable tools for moving the down trees. Any vehicle needs a winch or attachment point for dragging things like trees or disabled vehicles.

I'm really looking into trading in my long bed F150 for a small short bed 4dr 4x4 truck (probably a Tacoma). Ideally I would beef up the front and rear bumpers, add a winch, brush guard loop with a pulley on it so I can use it as a log skidder, lights, spare tire(s) and fuel can brackets, roof rack, a chain saw, 120v inverter, a camp stove, fold out toilet seat, along with a tool box in the bed for jacks, tools, ax, food, aid bag, spare fluids etc...

Really wish Toyota would sell the diesel Hilux in the US because that would be ideal for me.

What about a dirt/ endurance bike with a rear rack for storage. I've considered getting a 450cc dirt bike and making a bracket to hold 2 large ammo cans or a 5 gal fuel can.

Edited by Rusty truck

Heath-sure! I may come check it out sometime, unfortunatley I've gotta work with what I have for right now and do some horse trading cause all my money's going towards my business at the moment. Luckily I'm getting in to things I enjoy so that makes life and spending money alot easier. I've always thought it would be cool to get one of the bobbed ones, oh and I hear ya, I weekly see three different guys in my area driving there rigs. I'm pretty sure one of them is the guys daily driver and it's pimp as hell.

Dogman-you ride a lot of class 3, 4 and 5 water if I remember correctly? Most rivers around here are class 1 and 2 and have the rare areas that may get to class 3 during the spring flood season, I would most likely avoid them at that time of year. I have swift water rescue under my belt and do not take the power of water lightly. I got to experiance the force of a man made hydraulic.....you won't even find me on a class 4 or 5 for fun, that hydraulic was the worst most helpless feeling ever, I even remember thinking "Ok lord, here I come".

Part of living in Michigan is coming to terms with the fact that there's ALOT of water, sometimes it's easier and quicker to go across then around. There's also so much water that you could travel almost the whole state by going up and down rivers, out in to the bay areas and with a big enough boat or balls, maybe both?! you could travel on the big lakes.

I probably should have explained my idea better when it comes to ATV in a boat. If you use the word boat loosley we could be talking about a 40' yacht, last time I checked I'm not rich (damn!) so this option is out. I have, however truly enjoyed getting in to fishing this past year and really wish I could get out on the water instead of hanging on the shoreline.

For my situation something like a sea eagle 9 which has a capacity of 1200lbs would work just fine coupled with a ROKON. A ROKON Trailbreaker weighs in around 208lbs and if you don't put gas or water in the wheels it floats. I'd be more worried about the other things I'm carrying if the boat capsized, hell the Rokon might end up being my life raft, LOL!

Don't get me wrong when it comes to ATVs I think there cool and fun, but I'm not the type of guy that enjoys speed. I did when I was younger but have seen enough, and lost enough people close to me that slow and steady is the ticket for me. When ever I bring up the Rokon I always here "but the top speed is only 35 MPH!".....yes, I know that's slow for you adreniline junkies and I understand why something faster would be nice. I prefer to go fast in cars with seatbelts and a cage around me, call me crazy.

But can your dirtbike or ATV do all this? and still be as compact?

-The Rokon can go places other ATVs won't make it, with the ability to go up a 60 percent grade and float to get across water if needed. Its fordable water depth is 24".

-For all you folks scared of EMPs (I'm not) you can still start it after one goes off.

-It can pull 3000lbs....It only weighs 208lbs015.gif That's ant power if you ask me!

-It can go for 9 hours on 3 gallons of gas. With the the 15" aluminum drum wheels you can have a total of 12 gallons on board......that's just a mere 36 hours of run time with out even carrying a gas can, or 1260 miles at top speed.

-You can hook farming implements to it. It has a PTO so you can hook a generator to it or a water pump or...you get the idea, anything that can hook to a PTO. http://www.threeriversrokon.com/agriculture.php

-If you can fix a small engine (lawnmower or chainsaw), you can easily fix this. If you can change the chain on a bicycle you can fix the whole drive system. They use repetitive parts, there are 18 bearings on the Rokon and there all the same, the nuts and bolts are all the same.

-Last but not least. The Rokon was designed in the 1950s then sold in to a different company in 1963, if you look around on the web you'll occasionally (if your lucky) find one for sale dated from the 70s in excellent running condition with the original motor and parts. It's almost 2012, so a mere 40 some odd years later and the design has changed little (a few improvements but not much) and still works with original parts like a beast.

Over all it really probably is the best SHTF vehicle considering with a small trailer you could haul half your life around, travel birds eye view as opposed to taking roads and in general avoid people by going places that would be horrible to even be walking in. There is truly nothing on the market that can hold a flame to it. Now you see why I drone on and on about it, LOL!big_smile.gif

You know whats better than a SHTF vehicle? ....Any old reliable car to get to a safe place BEFORE SHTF.

And once you get to a safe place you don't want to be moving around casing attention to yourself

Thinking your going to get away once you've learned the "S" has already HTF... will greatly diminish your chances of protecting yourself from a worse case scenario

Unless you have inside info yo're probably not going to know the "S" has HTF until its well under way.

GOV will do everything in its power to keep Order over the masses. They'll lie and say everything is 100% OK while soldiers are in the streets. Military and Private Security Contractors will already be knocking on your door to take all your survival tools away from you for your own safety.

Imagine You just learn the SHTF in your town. Roads are already going to be locked down "for everyone's protection".

You drive up to a DHS Military Check Point in your SHTF-Rig filled with SHTF-gear. At that point you're exactly the type of "suspect" they're attempting to keep from moving around. You could gather in a group of people that don't like what they are doing, and that would be bad for Big Bro. In fact the check points are probably going to be the best ways to get the suspects, because only suspect would want to get away from a lawful government. You're attempting to do anything other then exactly what your told to do, and thats what they're going to be looking for. You come to a DHS checkpoint with that survival gear and you're likely to be a terrorist on the move bitch! Any normal, lawful abiding civilian would do exactly what they are told to do (Its house-arrest MF'er! You'll stay put until we tell you otherwise!). Only enemy combatant don't do what they're told to do.

If you're not already established in a safe location away from the "S" when the SHTF... the chances of getting through the storm are much slimmer.

In fact you don't want to attempt to get-through-it at all.

........Its MUCH safer to stay out of it all together

"""IF""" the SHTF (Thats a big "if", and I hope to all it doesnt) ...its going to be Really Really Ugly

.....Its Not something you want to be invloved in if you have familey to keep safe.

ItsAllCreated-

I remember on September 11th driving around DC two hours after the plane hit the pentagon......There wasn't a soul on the street, in fact it was the easiest driving around in DC I had in the decade I lived there. I've been to numerous natrual disasters where there are droves of people leaving town, I could've driven a semi full of cocaine with hookers dancing on top of the rig butt naked and no one would've stopped us. You seem to think the government has the man power to put up roadblocks in every small city, village and municipality across our country with in hours of an incident. News flash, they don't.

Most of the time when people talk about SHTF in the past few years all incidents have been weather related. There have been no roadblocks, in fact there often is absolutely no help in the first 12 to 24 hours. I would call being flooded out SHTF, would you? How about a forest fire? We've seen them ravage whole neighborhoods before. Earthquake? Yup, there's another tough SHTF for you, I bet plenty of people were wishing they had something off road worthy then. Ice storm with power grid down for days and or even weeks? Yup, there's another one that's happened numerous times in the past year.

There are different forms of SHTF, you seem to only be focused on the governement coming to get you. Ifthat's the case I suggest you move to a place with no people and get off the grid immediatly because your paranoia is going to eat you alive. One more thing.....in an economic breakdown if you think police and/or firemen are going to stick around for no paycheck instead of protecting/caring for there own familys you need to meet more police and firemen. I would work until my familys well being was in danger, then sorry folks but your on your own. Hence why they call it SHTF

ItsAllCreated-

I remember on September 11th driving around DC two hours after the plane hit the pentagon......There wasn't a soul on the street, in fact it was the easiest driving around in DC I had in the decade I lived there. I've been to numerous natrual disasters where there are droves of people leaving town, I could've driven a semi full of cocaine with hookers dancing on top of the rig butt naked and no one would've stopped us. You seem to think the government has the man power to put up roadblocks in every small city, village and municipality across our country with in hours of an incident. News flash, they don't.

I can tell you that in the drive from Kalamazoo to Novi that night I was stopped 3 times... Portage, Jackson, and just south of Novi Rd. It was a ghost town on the streets, and anyone out was getting all the attention they could ever want. I was driving a Probe... not exactly threatening... but I was still a target.

Face it, if you are male, and look at all capable, you are going to attract at least some attention. If they are controlling weapons and confiscating stuff (officially or unofficially) Your tricked out bug out truck and lifetime supply of guns, ammo, and food will make a nice score. Be certain your belongings will be on the 6 o'clock news with the local cops posing with "Arsenal" the seized from the "Suspected Domestic terrorist."

Do you think you're going to hide in the woods? Better hope that camp doesn't emit any heat... or your truck or horse.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-drone-arrest-20111211,0,324348.story

They are ALREADY using Predators to hunt US citizens, on US soil... they're bragging about it for fucks sake.

Guys... it's time to work like hell to turn this around, or prepare like hell to blend in and hide as much capability as you can. Hell, pretend you're Amish if possible! Anything to keep these dogs at bay. You need to blend in MORE than you need to look tough.