• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

does this count? lol

Back to vehicles and accessories. I forgot to mention a Hilift jack. You can lift, pull, spread, and clamp with them. Great for trail fixes. I've seen someone use the handle to trail fix a busted

I have always liked 4x4 vans that I see. Seems like a cool spacious rig, but as with my 4runner, if it's inside the truck, " it will eventually hit your head" as we say when going off-road, so maybe a

Posted Images

http://crittergitters.net/

Those are neat ^.

Great... I'm going to be lost on that site for the next hour now...

Hahaha I heard about them 2 or 3 years ago. Saw an ad in Shotgun News I think... can't really remember....Anywho, they just redid their site, and there's stuff on there I haven't had the chance to look at yet. I love em.

Might as well drive this

100_8297-1.jpg

About the same capacity for supplies. You can go up hills, but I can go faster tongue.png

I've been trying to trade it for a damn truck for about 5 months. If it has a bed, and drives on all 4 wheels, it might as well be made of solid gold...around my neck of the woods anyways.

msylOIq.jpg

so, yours can go up hills?

Might as well drive this

100_8297-1.jpg

About the same capacity for supplies. You can go up hills, but I can go faster tongue.png

I've been trying to trade it for a damn truck for about 5 months. If it has a bed, and drives on all 4 wheels, it might as well be made of solid gold...around my neck of the woods anyways.

msylOIq.jpg

so, yours can go up hills?

Re-read what I said.

"You can go up hills, but I can go faster"

Mine...

6x6... multifuel engine... over 10 mpg... easy repairs... no complicated engine management systems... common as dirt... cheap... can power anything via 3 PTO locations... can haul 10k lbs and tow another 10k lbs and half that off-road. (And waaaaayyyy over that rating if pushed)

gallery_20718_478_11293.jpg

I also have a Taurus and an old 1964 Fairlane 500 with a mild 289. I might consider a good enduro bike a wise addition.

If we're talking about SHTF as in....."the end of the world as we know it"....then this baby works for me. It'll get me over the edge of a cliff at 110 mph in style, and I'll let everyone else battle the radioactive cockroaches while I'm dirt napping.

merc.jpg

Now if we're talking about something less extreme, just give me any dependable 4x4 pickup with a camper on the back. The guy who is driving the ultra cool survival-mobile is just going to get killed for it by somebody who wants it more than he does.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

You have to learn how to read first lol.

Horses don't mean shit when you gotta carry a load of supplies.

pack mules, bitch

Mule(s)? The zombies will just walk right past you because you're gonna be so slow.

pack mules, bitch

Mule(s)? The zombies will just walk right past you because you're gonna be so slow.

better than sitting around where the pavement stops

I'll plan alternate routes where there's always pavement then lol

pack mules, bitch

until you run into a road block

So do swivel chairs tongue.png

that's what your ass will be sitting on when your mustang is stuck at a road block laugh.png

pack mules, bitch

until you run into a road block

So do swivel chairs tongue.png

that's what your ass will be sitting on when your mustang is stuck at a road block laugh.png

Remember, with the Horses, that a well trained horse that you can actually shoot off of, takes a lot of hard work and time. Having to chase down Horses for possibly days in the Mountains can be quite a miserable experience...especially when they have your supplies on their backs.

Not saying any Horsemen here don't already know that, but for the average Joe who may think "Oh, Horses, I'll find some of those!" A good horse takes a lot of training and building a trusting bond with the Horse.

I have spent my share of tiime with Horses for fun and for hunting, but am still Very picky on Who (and who's Horses) I will go into the Mountains on!!!

sorry angry, your alternate routes will end up at roadblocks too, and what happens when you run out of gas?

That's when I make more alternate routes. I have a truck too. I won't even touch the Mustang.

sorry angry, your alternate routes will end up at roadblocks too, and what happens when you run out of gas?

That's when I make more alternate routes. I have a truck too. I won't even touch the Mustang.

just give up, admit its time to go buy a horse and learn how to ride

Remember, with the Horses, that a well trained horse that you can actually shoot off of, takes a lot of hard work and time. Having to chase down Horses for possibly days in the Mountains can be quite a miserable experience...especially when they have your supplies on their backs.

Not saying any Horsemen here don't already know that, but for the average Joe who may think "Oh, Horses, I'll find some of those!" A good horse takes a lot of training and building a trusting bond with the Horse.

I have spent my share of tiime with Horses for fun and for hunting, but am still Very picky on Who (and who's Horses) I will go into the Mountains on!!!

and don't even consider a string of mules if you don't know what your doing.... actually, on second thought, everyone go out and get some horses and mules, more shit for me when they get away from you, haha

I must say, out in my area of Montana a well trained horse would be the best option, if we can consider it a Vehicle in the peramiters of the OP. Living in the Mountains, one could just Saddle up and hit the hills. Staying off of the roads and out of their view would be a key factor in avoiding any trouble.

• Like 1

My issue with horses and mules is a simple one... they eat and need the vet long before the SHTF. For the price of a good team, a barn, fencing, tack, vet bills, feed, and you time to train them, you could buy and equip a very nice expedition truck with a dirtbike and afford enough fuel to get you where you need to go.

Already have horses? A farm? It's your favorite hobby in the world and you are in a saddle every week or using a team regularly to select cut log? Then your case is very different.

I bought the M35A2 because I'm a licensed mechanic and can fix that thing in my sleep. I can prepare and filter fuel for it from crude oil, hydraulic fluid, WVO, WMO and any number of other sources. The taurus does it's job already... it's simple and fades into traffic with nobody looking at it with good mileage. I am also intimately familiar with the platform and my family/close friends own 5 that I already maintain. It's good for me. YMMV

Stuff gets ugly and you really won't want to stand out... it makes you a target. Horses can get you places nothing else will... but they are a large heat signature and something you have to care for.

Everything is a tradeoff.

I'll play silly rambo fantasy too.

I would vote for the vehicle driven by most of the world. Incidentally it is also pretty much the vehicle of choice in most of the world where everything has gone to anarchic chaos.

Four door Toyota Hilux with the tiny diesel and 4x4. It just works. Parts are everywhere (except USA) they are everywhere. People drive them in countries were a gallon of diesel is about how much they earn in two days. Granted they take a lot of passengers, but that speaks toward economy and durability. these people can't afford to replace parts and their trucks keep going. Toyota makes a puffy cush version that is a lot like the Tundra. I am not talking about that, I am talking about the little thing that doesn't pretend it isn't made out of sheet metal and still has buckles on the tailgate. A lot of them come with a cheezy headache rack with hand grips for the passengers who will obviously be standing up in the back.

When you picture a bunch of desperate guys in some war torn part of the world, odds are he wil be carrying an AK and he will be in the back of the vehicle equivalent. There's a reason.

My next pick would probably be a subaru for where I live. I really don't understand why Toyota doesn't sell diesels in USA. My family alone would justify importation.

• Like 1

It is import laws, not Toyota, dictating the sales of the Diesel Hilux. If you want say a diesel 4runner, you can get them in canada, but the U.S. will not let you. Why? Detriot! American cars are bragging about 35-40 mpg now as if they just invented fire! while a 1982 Hona civic got 55mpg....about 30 freakin years ago!!!!

Watch the British Top Gear, they drive new deisel cars that get plenty better than 55mpg!!

Edited by RobRez

I have always planned to bug "in", not out, so I had never thought about it before but for moving around the local area my tractor with bucket and backhoe would be great transportation if roads are heavily damaged. With a chainsaw also on board I can dig or build my way through or around just about any obstacle. Like I said though, I don't want to have to be a road warrior.

• Like 1